Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
I couldn’t sleep well at night ever since our ‘new member’ moves in with us…

Cheryl
Dog Kichi

Sep 16, 2002, 6:45 PM

Post #1 of 13 (3822 views)
Shortcut
I couldn’t sleep well at night ever since our ‘new member’ moves in with us… Can't Post

Hi. I have adopted a 2++months old English Cocker Spaniel for 2 weeks ago. My only problem with this little fellow was… she is hyper active in the middle of the night. She barks… and scratch my bed to weak me up. I’ve bought her a muzzle but I found that it does not work for her anyway… please help me to solve this problem. Crazy

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2002, 10:25 PM

Post #2 of 13 (3807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cheryl] I couldn’t sleep well at night ever since our ‘new member’ moves in with us… [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Cheryl. Cool!! Another English Cocker spaniel on board. Cheryl, would appreciate it if you could introduce yourself a bit at the member's introduction category as a formality and for us members to know you and your doggy better for future advise, etc.
My English Cocker came to us when he was 7 weeks. I had the same problem to the extend of returning to the breeder until he's slightly bigger but was told by the breeder to bear with it and let him yelps till he tired out. It works. Cockers are pretty intelligent dogs. In spite of the cute face, don't ever let her control you. Be stern. If you give in, you will have to live with it. As for mine, I bought him a crate until he got used to it. Now at the age of 10 months, he's comfy with the crate. Once in, he'll rest in there. But if he sleeps in my room, that's a different story. Good luck

Cheryl
Dog Kichi

Sep 16, 2002, 11:00 PM

Post #3 of 13 (3803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jasonlyh] I couldn’t sleep well at night ever since our ‘new member’ moves in with us… [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Jason. Your puppy crate confused me. Do you mean that you let your ECS sleep in that crate? How big is that crate? I just bought her a rotten basket. I must she used to sleep in my bedroom… so how? Should I get her a crate like yours?

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2002, 11:14 PM

Post #4 of 13 (3800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cheryl] I couldn’t sleep well at night ever since our ‘new member’ moves in with us… [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Cheryl. The crate I'm talking about is actually a cage about 3 feet long. It cost around RM100+. I used to let him sleep outside in it. He got so used to it even now when I put him in there. If your bedroom is big enough you can have one in there. One of the member, Arthur does that for his Min. Shnauzer. You'll have to get used to the yelping until she realise that it's her new home. What I also did was to cover the crate with cloth or old towel to calm him down. Have to be stern and not soft-hearted. But now that my doggy has grown up, I only put him in there when necessary. Otherwise he's in the room with me and wake me up at 6am sharp to be ready for his morning walk!! Crazy Good luck Wink

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2002, 11:19 PM

Post #5 of 13 (3799 views)
Shortcut

Hey Cheryl, just saw ur doggy's picture. She's really cute and adorable. Nice coat and colour too. Mine is a blackie. What's her name?

Cheryl
Dog Kichi

Sep 17, 2002, 12:19 AM

Post #6 of 13 (3789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jasonlyh] I couldn’t sleep well at night ever since our ‘new member’ moves in with us… [In reply to] Can't Post

hey Jason. Her name is Springtime. What about yours? Did you send your dog for training? Where? I will try to use your method by letting her yelps. Hopefully it’s work for my naughty girl too… Unsure but i am glad that you are sharing your experience with me. Thank you very much. Wink

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2002, 12:42 AM

Post #7 of 13 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cheryl. You are most welcome. My doggy's name is Caldrone. A photo of him when small is as attached. You are lucky to have adopted her. You can register you dog for training with MKA when slightly older. Do check out the site / As for me, I have yet to register him for training. So far training him myself. Able to perform the basic stuffs but not much patience. There are quite a bit of maintenance for this dog. ie. the coat need to be groomed, the ear need to be cleaned, etc, etc. Like most small to medium sized breed, they are very attached to the owner and don't quite like the idea of being alone which explains the yelping. Also try giving her the fish liver oil capsule available at chinese pharmacy for shiny coat.

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 17, 2002, 6:50 AM

Post #8 of 13 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cheryl.....you can also try playing with her during the night before her bedtime and tire her out so she'll be sleeping soundly throughout the night....after all, a tired puppy is a good puppy Wink

melanie
Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2002, 9:32 PM

Post #9 of 13 (3758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] I couldn’t sleep well at night ever since our ‘new member’ moves in with us… [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ginl,

I agree with you!! Now as kiddie grow older, she spent more time outside her crate and run alots,

She really a good girl when I put her in the crate for sleeping time after tiresome dayLaugh

Regards

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 17, 2002, 11:49 PM

Post #10 of 13 (3747 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cheryl!

Lots of good advice from the ever helpful forum members here. One point to note when buying the crate for Springtime (What a lovely name!) is to get one that is just big enough for an adult sized ECS to standup, turnaround and lie down again. Too big and the doggie might just decide to use one corner as the attached "bathroom"! Too small and it'll become plain cruel.

Rdgs Arthur

BTW, I have 3 crates (Pet Voyager 400 series) for my 3 miniature schnauzers. An ECS is when full grown will be slightly bigger than a mini-schnauzer so you can use this as a guide-line.

Cheryl
Dog Kichi

Sep 19, 2002, 5:32 AM

Post #11 of 13 (3718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] I couldn’t sleep well at night ever since our ‘new member’ moves in with us… [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Arthur, thank you and other puppy’s owners useful information. I am still considering whether I should buy a crate or not?! Hopefully I can post my good news to you all ASAP. Tongue

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 19, 2002, 5:58 AM

Post #12 of 13 (3717 views)
Shortcut

Hiya CHeryl,

I find the best is to tire your puppy out before she sleeps by playing fetch with her. I do that with Luckey (well, Luckey also has her siblings to play with) and by her bedtime she is dead tired and usually sleeps right through till morning.

She wakes up about 6.30am (fine by me, coz she's my alarm clock then) and paws me to take her out to make poopoo and peepee...

Cheryl
Dog Kichi

Sep 20, 2002, 5:44 PM

Post #13 of 13 (3703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] I couldn’t sleep well at night ever since our ‘new member’ moves in with us… [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jenn. I found your way really work. I play with her every night until she doesn’t want to border me. Thank you.Laugh

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my