Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
Dog litter & house training

CosmosMom
Novice

Sep 15, 2002, 2:23 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4079 views)
Shortcut
Dog litter & house training Can't Post

I have a 6 week old yorkshire terrier. I live in a condo that is upstairs. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with doggie litter. I would like to train my yorkie to use the litter box and go outside in the evenings for walks. Since my husband and i work 8 hour days i thought this maybe good for him. Thanks

TohCS
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2002, 4:46 PM

Post #2 of 9 (4063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CosmosMom] Dog litter & house training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi CosmosMom,

I have not used the litter box with Belle but have taught her to use the bathroom . Therefore I have no experiece with litter box to help.
But here's some suggestion that I hope will be of some help.

1) Purchase a bottle of the litter(poo poo) liquid. Put 1 or 2 drops on the litter box.But first fill the litter box with sand or old newspapers. This liquid has a smell that will attract the doggie to the litter box to wee and poo. However a note here : The smell of this liquid is not pleasent Unsure.

2) Whenver you are home keep vigiliant and when you notice signs of your puppy having intentions of wee or poop lead it to the litter box and say the word "go potty" . Once the puppy have eliminated then give it lots of praise and give the puppy it's favourite treat.

3) Initially keep a layer of the newspaper which the puppy have wee or poop on. This will attract the puppy back to the litter box therefore you need not use the liquid I mention is step 1.

Hope my two cents worth of suggestion helps.
However the key here is Patience and Time.
All the best and I believe the rest of the group here might have better/further suggestions.

Have fun!Wink

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CosmosMom
Novice

Sep 17, 2002, 3:03 PM

Post #3 of 9 (4046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TohCS] Dog litter & house training [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tips! Smile I will try them. I bought a litter box that is sold at my local pet store. They also sell doggie litter so I bought that also. I put in the litter box wee wee pads that he has been using for the last week and added the dog litter a little at a time. I keep him in the bathroom when i'm not home with the litter box in it and he has been using it Smile! Now he is just having some trouble using it when i'm home. But i know it is just going to take time. So far it is going good. Thanks again for the input.

lisachew

Sep 17, 2002, 4:11 PM

Post #4 of 9 (4043 views)
Shortcut

hello

jsut becareful tat ur doggie didnt consume that dog litter as its quite poisonous. Sicne its still so young, they may tend to be a liitle bit more curious and naughty.
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

CosmosMom
Novice

Sep 19, 2002, 1:36 PM

Post #5 of 9 (4029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lisachew] Dog litter & house training [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks but the kind I purchased is non-toxic so it will not hurt him if he was to eat it and fortunitly he has not eaten it.

KawChai
Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2002, 5:49 AM

Post #6 of 9 (3995 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cosmo Mum

Where do u buy the litter liquid ? What brand ? How much ?

Any good pet shop around KL area? I mean those really 'dog' pet shop Laugh

Thanks

CosmosMom
Novice

Oct 29, 2002, 10:41 AM

Post #7 of 9 (3987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KawChai] Dog litter & house training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Kaw Chai

I live in the US and bought it at a local pet shop here. I do not remember how much it cost.

yipwengcheong
Dog Kichi

Oct 29, 2002, 8:52 PM

Post #8 of 9 (3969 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know any brand of dog littler liquid which is quite reliable and can be purchase in Malaysia because I had try a number of different type of dog litter liquid to train my six-month female shih tzu but unsuccessfully.

Thank you.

Regards;

Yip

lisachew

Oct 29, 2002, 11:15 PM

Post #9 of 9 (3964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yipwengcheong] Dog litter & house training [In reply to] Can't Post

I think shih tzu numb towards the dog litter liquid. I tried few brands too but yet Teddy wont be able to identify it as the potty area. SO i hv to use 'potty' word and show him the place pulak!
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my