Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Excessive & Prolonged Shedding

PuppyNewbie
Novice

Sep 21, 2003, 12:37 PM

Post #1 of 14 (1576 views)
Shortcut
Excessive & Prolonged Shedding Can't Post

Need your advice on my dog's excessive & prolonged shedding. She's a mix of Spitz and Papillon (or that's what the SPCA folks told me).

My vet explained that it's the mix of the breed with the white fur being dominant and somehow that causes her to shed a lot.

Have tried switiching brands of dogfood, shampoo. Also mix in Carotina oil into her food, as advised by the vet. Brushing regularly.

Quite distressing for our whole family to see just huge furballs everywhere.

I'm "pulling my hair out" over this!Unsure

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Sep 23, 2003, 5:14 AM

Post #2 of 14 (1562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PuppyNewbie] Excessive & Prolonged Shedding [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

hmm looks like u've got yourself a dog that really sheds!.. well well..do u brush her daily? well brushing certainly helps with the shedding..the other thing is u could try out the supplement call Missing Link. it supposed to help with sheddings..no harm trying right..Wink
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

PuppyNewbie
Novice

Sep 23, 2003, 7:04 PM

Post #3 of 14 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] Excessive & Prolonged Shedding [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks much for replying. Yes, will just maintain what we're already doing, as advised by the vet. Maybe, up the brushing!

boon
Doggyman

Sep 23, 2003, 7:38 PM

Post #4 of 14 (1550 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Keep switching dog food is not a good idea of getting your problem of shedding solve once and for all. You may look into some supplements that prevent your furkid from dry & ichy skin, coat defiency & allegic. You may want to try Nupro Natural Dog supplements to get this problem solve.Wink

Some ingredients of this supplement :-

NORWEGIAN KELP:
Enhances pigmentation and brings out highlights in coat color. Good source of iodine and trace minerals. Especially good for older dogs because it helps arthritic conditions.

IMPORTED YEAST CULTURE:
Repels fleas. Promotes hair growth. Helps keep your dog from blowing coat.

LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS:
This enzyme will help your dog digest his food better, thus eliminating some gas problems and bloating after meals. Good for overweight dogs because you can feed them less, and still be assured that they get all the essential vitamins and minerals they need. Promotes friendly bacteria.

My 2.5 cents

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

(This post was edited by boon on Sep 23, 2003, 7:57 PM)

Riccaval
ALPHA

Sep 23, 2003, 7:40 PM

Post #5 of 14 (1550 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi,

Dogs who live in heated enviroments can drop their coat unduly at any time of the year and moving them to a cooler enviroment can reduce hair loss.

Have you tried giving Evening Primrose Oil. Its known to reduce shedding and improve coat quality. You can also try Kelp Seaweed tablets/powder which can treat poor hair growth and improve coat quality and pigment as well.

Hope ur dog gets betterCool

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 23, 2003, 9:22 PM

Post #6 of 14 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Excessive & Prolonged Shedding [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah Pek...i've also heard of Nupro and it's supposed to be very good for improving skin and coat. Hv not tried it yet though coz i didn't know they sell it here? I thought it was only available in other countries. Where to buy???

boon
Doggyman

Sep 23, 2003, 10:20 PM

Post #7 of 14 (1538 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Excessive & Prolonged Shedding [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ee,

ok u can either buy online or some other appointed pet shops in PJ, Subang (inclusive USJ area), KL and Penang, alternatively u can purchase this premium quality supplements from shop.puppy.com.my and if u r premium member of puppycom, u can get extensive discount for not only this but many others items as well.Wink

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Sep 24, 2003, 4:46 AM

Post #8 of 14 (1530 views)
Shortcut

hi boon,

is nupro really good? as i have a 8yo GSD who is having some prob with fleas..tried spray,shampoo and frontline spot on to keeep it from coming but they still present..the other thing is..his hair is thin nowadays..not like he use to be..since norwegian kelp and imported yeast has the solution for my dogs from wht i see..could i give him both at a time? any idea wht the price is?
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 24, 2003, 6:03 AM

Post #9 of 14 (1526 views)
Shortcut

ooohhhh paiseh paiseh puppycom online shop got oledi izzit? BlushBlush busy nowadays so very outdated Blush

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 24, 2003, 6:12 AM

Post #10 of 14 (1524 views)
Shortcut

Hey Ritchie,

Frm what i read and gathered frm other forums in US, Nupro is suppose to be very good supplement for overall health....it contains the vitamins and minerals missing frm processed kibbles and also minerals which are lost when food is cooked....and yes flea repellant is also one of the many positive factor about this product....so far the ppl who hv tried it had given very positive feedback on it. Am going to also try and get my hands on it myself Smile

Here's some info frm the net about it :

Nupro, an all natural dog supplement, is a scientifically balanced formula that is high in vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino and fatty acids. Nupro provides the necessary raw ingredients (missing from cooked and processed dog food), with easily digestible whole foods, specially designed to condition your dog into first class health. This supplement promotes hair growth, aids digestion and helps relieve gas, improves appetite, helps repel fleas, and is excellent for energy and blood building. It is a totally organic product that covers all nutritional bases: vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, enzymes and amino acids. Excellent for dogs that will not eat or drink, helps prevent most common ailments and is excellent for all breeds and all ages from puppies to geriatric.

boon
Doggyman

Sep 24, 2003, 7:30 AM

Post #11 of 14 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ritchie_Dog,

u can get the price of various Nupro product from shop.puppy.com.my.Wink

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Sep 24, 2003, 8:20 PM

Post #12 of 14 (1506 views)
Shortcut

hi ginl,

well thanks so much for the info...will run out to hunt for it...ha ha...really need it to improve my dog's immune system as well as his coat condition..used to have a beautiful coat but dont know wht happen lately his hair is shedding a lot so it makes him look thin and dull..despite the cod liver oil i gave him..doesnt help..thanks anyway

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 25, 2003, 5:14 AM

Post #13 of 14 (1500 views)
Shortcut

Actually i think if we really wanna get it shd get it frm puppycom online shopping....must support forum contribute something back lor, all this time we using it free some more if server slow we complain forum slow Mr Khoo Boo Gee's hand also blisters all over trying to dig gold bars in his backyard while Khoo Boo Fie sits there watching him Tongue

boon
Doggyman

Sep 25, 2003, 4:55 PM

Post #14 of 14 (1494 views)
Shortcut

muakakkakakka

Khoo Boo Fie..........muakakkakakakk i know what this Boo Fie do, stand there and look at his dad digging the gold bar. But luckily Khoo Boo Ron can help to dig a bit....he is good in digging i believe.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my