Show handling classes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Derrickok
Novice

Dec 7, 2001, 6:48 PM

Post #1 of 104 (5802 views)
Shortcut
Show handling classes Can't Post

Please be informed that MKA is conducting a Show Handling Class at The Padang Merbok in P.J. on the 8th Dec,2001 at 5.00PM.
Those interested are welcome as participants or spectators. The class in absolutely free to MKA members and for non-members RM10,00 and we will teach you all the tricks of the trade when showing your dogs.
Regards.

agd
Novice

Jun 1, 2002, 12:59 AM

Post #2 of 104 (5771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish MKA could also organise another real soon for us folk up in the North. Derrick, could you advise who I should contact in MKA to cater to my request? I think the key here is to get the right person who has the experience to show us. U know my email id. Thanks.

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 1, 2002, 1:17 AM

Post #3 of 104 (5768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agd] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have a word with the Penang Director on your behalf and see what can be done. Perhaps those conducting obedience at the Komtar on Sunday could in cooperate this programme for the benefit of newcomers like you.
Regards.

luckey
ALPHA

Oct 20, 2002, 4:00 AM

Post #4 of 104 (5718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya... hope MKa organizes another show handling class this year. Any plans you know of? thanks Smile

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 26, 2003, 8:32 AM

Post #5 of 104 (5679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmmm......show handling....you can actually read up on "The Winning Edge-Show Ring Secrets" by George Alston, one of America's top professional handler. He's now a teacher, and a handling seminar by him costs US90 the least. I strongly recommend this book. But only if you had know the basics....

For TRUE beginners....you can try reading up New Secrets Of Successful Show Dog Handling by Peter Green(4 X BIS handler at The Garden) and Mario Migliorini. A very informative and gd book too....teaching you lots of tricks too. Wink

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 26, 2003, 9:11 AM

Post #6 of 104 (5678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Altana_Mystique] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. Yes I bought some dog showing bks off amazon, but now that ive learnt all aboput dog showing, my dog dont wanna let other people touch her. And after that long drawn out process of teaching her to stack too! She finally gets it, but now she has the aversion of strangers feeling her up!

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 26, 2003, 9:27 AM

Post #7 of 104 (5676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmmm.......the next thing is to watch professional handlers show their dogs....and I mean REAL professionals like Corky Vroom,Jimmy Moses,Peter Green,Mark Bettis,Linda Pitts....etc.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 26, 2003, 10:37 AM

Post #8 of 104 (5674 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, any idea on where i can find these vcds or tapes to watch? thanks.

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 26, 2003, 4:55 PM

Post #9 of 104 (5672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

hehehe........you've import it.......mainly the WEstminster Kennel Club dog show....I would say it's really worth the money.....it is a VHS tape. comes in a set of 2. US29.90 excluding shipping. Wink

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 26, 2003, 5:18 PM

Post #10 of 104 (5670 views)
Shortcut

oohh.. i have to get them from overseas... ic..

any idea where to actually order it? do you have the url or link for me to take a look at it first?

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2003, 1:30 AM

Post #11 of 104 (5667 views)
Shortcut

If you're interested in viewing the Crufts Dog Show by the Kennel Club.....each Group tape cost a whopping 30 pounds and shipping another 10 pounds. For just 1 group !! After estimation it should cost around RM160 !!! Super not worth it....

For the most prestigious dog show in America, The WEstminster dog show.....each set of 2 tapes costs US29.90 and whole show is about 3hrs+ nearly 4hrs long. Featuring the Group judging and BIS. EXCELLENT SHOW. The Westminster Dog Show is the second longest running sporting event in America. You can go yahoo and search for Westminster Kennel Club. They have the tape at their website. But shipping, I've no idea how much. Wink

lulugurl
ALPHA

Jun 10, 2003, 7:49 AM

Post #12 of 104 (5564 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie,

I guess i'll just continue this thread instead of starting a new one. I'll like to ask whether there is any class around for handling skills? I would love to improve mine so that i can show jaz better in the future show. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advanceSmile
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

boon
Doggyman

Jun 10, 2003, 9:03 AM

Post #13 of 104 (5563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha, addicted lio neh.........TongueWink show more and u know lah...can never pull urself out from the ring loh.............

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

i_idnic
Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2003, 6:55 PM

Post #14 of 104 (5554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

yea....agree u'll never pull out urself from the ring especially with a good start le.....congrat again.....eve...Wink Boon how about urself ??? bring ur Bonney join for fun ma....or get one new for show...... heheheheTongue

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 10, 2003, 7:51 PM

Post #15 of 104 (5553 views)
Shortcut

HA! HA! that's what my dad said to her as well! once she's in the RING, she can't get out! that's it lar! no more time for boyfriend, except show ringss! MUAHAHHAHA!!!

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 10, 2003, 7:55 PM

Post #16 of 104 (5552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [i_idnic] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry too much about Boon Boon.... you know they say "Tiam Kau, Kah Si Lang" (in hokkien) you will never know, he will surprise us by taking home best in show award one of these days... Cool

boon
Doggyman

Jun 10, 2003, 11:15 PM

Post #17 of 104 (5544 views)
Shortcut

What...BIS ? Never to dream of this too early lah....working now.....ok

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 10, 2003, 11:45 PM

Post #18 of 104 (5540 views)
Shortcut

Don't ke-si, ke-si... we are expecting good surprises! hahahha

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 19, 2003, 8:30 AM

Post #19 of 104 (5512 views)
Shortcut

hi jaz..

few months ago i saw u posting, u were still deciding whether to show ur dog or not. i see that you're getting the hang of it liao? how do you find it??? is it really that addictive????

i've wanted to show my dog for a very long time, but dare not. maybe someday i might get hooked up with the showring like u guys.

regards,
hunter

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 19, 2003, 4:14 PM

Post #20 of 104 (5508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Hunter,

Yeah, you are right, sending my dog to the show ring was something I never thought I would do! But since after much persuasion from Lulugurl, we went ahead with it! It was fun, that's the most important thing and to actually understand how they grade, rank and how your dog qualifies to the next round or so, makes it all very interesting. Especially when you have such supportive friends around you when you are there makes it alot more easier, not so tense to just go ahead!

I read one of the regulations for dog shows.. the DOs and DON'Ts.. and one of the DON'Ts was :

DO NOT EXPECT TO WIN! ahahhahahhaa!!!

You should really just take that first step in entering your dog for the competition, you never know what would turn out!!Sly

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 20, 2003, 6:11 AM

Post #21 of 104 (5490 views)
Shortcut

hello there,

nice to know that u really enjoy showing ur dog. must be really rewarding - winning, or not winning. yeah, i suppose it's really not important to win anyway, it's all about having fun. i find that some participants take the whole thing really seriously with a must-win attitude. made me fear that i'd embarrass myself around them.

anyway, i might enter my dog one day. still need more time to study the whole concept. btw, what dog are u showing? maybe i could spot u around someday..

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 20, 2003, 4:21 PM

Post #22 of 104 (5483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Hunter,

Where are you located?? During the recent show, besides exposing ourselves to the dog competition, we also had a chance to meet up with members of the puppy.com and also actually see how their wonderful dogs look like!! it was really fun! after meeting up with them, eventually the 'must win' spirit isn't there anymore, it's more of like a gathering and having fun!

There are lots of dog shows going around every year, and I believe for the judge to award your dog with something, the very least is to bring your dog to their breed standard, after that, it's pretty much at the discretionary of that particular judge. To tell you seriously, I have no idea how they actually judge and come up with the conclusion who is the winner!!! so what the heck, join lar! you'll love it!

I only have one Aust. Silky Terrier - name Jaz . After the show, I did had a second thought of maybe getting another dog for show.. Sly

mackmack
Doggyman

Jun 20, 2003, 6:14 PM

Post #23 of 104 (5481 views)
Shortcut

So it's more like supporting each other than competing with each other~Wink

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 20, 2003, 6:25 PM

Post #24 of 104 (5478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Show handling classes [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup! You BET! and also eventually it feels liek our gang competiting with other ppl that is yet to become a puppy.com member! ahahahhah!!! Laugh

mackmack
Doggyman

Jun 20, 2003, 6:30 PM

Post #25 of 104 (5476 views)
Shortcut

Yeah~!Wink Like the competition is for puppycom members~Laugh

Hopefully one day PuppyCom could grow and grow and be the Show Organizer or SPONSOR!

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my