First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

awlim
New User

Sep 19, 2003, 7:15 PM

Post #1 of 36 (3285 views)
Shortcut
What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog Can't Post

Dear All,

I have a female dog - 8 years old in my house. However, I wish to get another different breed's male dog -1 year old into my house. Do I need to separate them?

With Regards,
Apple
^apple^

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 20, 2003, 4:13 AM

Post #2 of 36 (3276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [awlim] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

No, u don't.

At first(if ur female's dominant) she'll tell the new dog that she's no 1..but if she submissive, it'll be the other way around. If any dog refuses to be put in it's place...then u might get some trouble. Best to ask the si fu's on the method to resolve the refusal.

Usually, there'll be some growling..then "the stare" then maybe the hair stand...then teeth baring..then bite..(not sure if the sequence is right..) but it's something like that.

Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 20, 2003, 4:58 AM

Post #3 of 36 (3275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [awlim] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHi,

Don't worry so much...i just read that dog's does not hate other dogs for their bloodliness but their charactre...like reality dreamer said...if she's dominant...just let her be coz u can't change how she behaves.....just hope ur male does not hump her or else there'll be a big fight....just put them for a week n they'll get used to it...imagine a pom n a lab...that's mine...pom has been very dominant n lab a submissive addition...both adultsSmile

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 20, 2003, 7:44 AM

Post #4 of 36 (3273 views)
Shortcut

hi
don't think should be a big problem...your female dog will show the new dog "who's boss" for sure... might be good idea to introduce them slowly and also see if your dog's submissive or dominant...

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 21, 2003, 7:37 AM

Post #5 of 36 (3267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [awlim, RealityDreamer] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Dogs will be dogs ... Smile ... it would be terribly unfair to expect otherwise ...

Whether the dogs can live together (without being separated) will depend on many factors:

(a) The breed of the dogs (some breeds do not take well to other dogs) ...

(b) Their sex ... it may be more difficult to keep 2 adult males than a dog of each sex.

(c) The character, nature & temperament of the dogs themselves ... the dog’s level of training will also play a significant part.

(d) The relationship between the dogs and you ... the more the dogs respect you, the easier they will get along with each other.

(e) How you treat the dogs as a pack and as individuals ... and balance the two.

A good book on dog behaviour or dog psychology will give you plenty of guidelines on how to accommodate 2 dogs in one household ... Keeping 2 toy breeds, or 2 Labbies or Goldens ... can be quite different from keep 2 dogs (with dominant breed traits). A good on dog book will help immensely ... The book will help you forestall any potential problems & difficulties ... and help you understand issue of "dominance" in dogs & how to deal with it ...

You are intending to bring a 1 year old male dog into a house with a fully mature female ...

Depending on the breeds, it is possible that the male may be already bigger than the female ... and there is no guarantee the male or female will not actively seek to tale top position.

Suggest the following:

(1) Your female dog will see your house as her territory - and bringing in another almost adult dog may trigger off her territorial instincts ... So, it might be a good idea for the dogs to "first" meet on neutral ground and not your house ... Maybe let them meet in a park somewhere ... This will give best chance for a happy meeting ... And give you a chance to see how the dogs react to each other.

(2) If the meeting goes well ... then you can introduce the male dog into your home.

(3) To some extent you have to let the doggies decide among themselves ... who is going to be top dog ... and this means you may have to let them go through their series of sniffing ... growling ... and maybe even some snapping … to sort out their differences.

If the breeds are medium or large breeds - it might be good idea if you have a couple of friends with you ... to help handle the dogs.

Cheers and good luck - here's hoping all works out well ... Smile

awlim
New User

Sep 23, 2003, 5:02 PM

Post #6 of 36 (3247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW!!! Thank you everyone!!! I think I have got the idea on how to plan out the 'meeting'. :) Thanks again!!!
^apple^

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 23, 2003, 6:45 PM

Post #7 of 36 (3242 views)
Shortcut

... most welcome ... here's hoping everything goes well ... Smile

doberman
ALPHA

Sep 24, 2003, 1:04 AM

Post #8 of 36 (3235 views)
Shortcut

if u want them be naughty, then no need to separate lor... :)

Henry from Penang
dobermann@puppy.com.myWink

melissa_tian
New User

Sep 26, 2003, 4:24 PM

Post #9 of 36 (3221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doberman] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Yer... So jahat. LOL.

doberman
ALPHA

Sep 26, 2003, 4:29 PM

Post #10 of 36 (3220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melissa_tian] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

then what is ur final decision ar?? seperate or not?:)

Henry from Penang

nisha_d
Novice

Sep 26, 2003, 10:07 PM

Post #11 of 36 (3212 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doberman] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

hie.....im a new user for past 3 days?i need everyone's advice here....i want to get a shih tzu..,my probelm is im staying in a flats........n most of the resident here is malay n there is a mosque(masjid) behind my flat...like 3 minutes walking.....most of them have a cat here.......also my house is small is it ok to have a pet?if it is ok....where i shud get a shih tzu......all the equipment.....i even bought a book bout shih tzu........now im not working yet but later i mite go to work is it safe to leave him home?but only like 6 hours then later someone will b at home...........does shih tzu barks a lot......plz plz i seriously need a advice...

shih tzu lover

meFrown

doberman
ALPHA

Sep 26, 2003, 11:48 PM

Post #12 of 36 (3210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nisha_d] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

ok, as i know... keeping a shih tsu at apartment is not a big problem.

FYI, there r to type of shih tsu...

1) the real mini size shih tzu... it will only reach 12" to 15" when it fully grown up n of coz the price is not cheap (around RM1500) n not easy to find.

2) a bigger size shih tzu... will reach till 24" n bigger when it fully grown n the price is more cheaper around RM900-RM1100 depents on the colour n shape(the face)...

somemore u just need to buy a normal cage to keep them at home n is no harm to the others! its easy to keep them ::)

good luck in searching ur shih tzu!

Henry from Penang

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 27, 2003, 7:25 AM

Post #13 of 36 (3205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nisha_d] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHi,

Shih tzu is a good choice provided u have the time for grooming the dog....or if u want something which rarely barks n easy to maintain like a pug? It has short hair n rarely barks n relatively small...quite a good choice especially if u live in flats with lots of malays.....at least it'll not barkTongue

If shih tzu is ur choice...it's ok coz most of us also cage the pups till they r back from work...but just make sure he does not bark so much...u knowlah...malays don't really like dogs....but normally they r ok with small dogs...good luck in getting ur dogSmile

nisha_d
Novice

Sep 27, 2003, 4:57 PM

Post #14 of 36 (3200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

thz for ur advice nathalie atleast now im a bit happier for past one month i have been cracking my head coz my brother told me if ne one reports to this DBKL(since im staying in dbkl flats) people they will take away my baby n another thing he warned me is i need to have licence but i though licence n cert is the same.........how does this microchip works i seriously dun get it.i also dunno where to get a pup according to doberman i think i will go for the mini shih tzu bcoz of its size.......where m i to get it.....u knowla some people will cheat they will say it will never grow big then it will get big since im staying in flats i dun wanna give him up......where m i suppose to get the pure breed...............my life is just like this now ?????do u know ne one nathalie?

dogs lover

just meTongue

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 28, 2003, 9:41 AM

Post #15 of 36 (3190 views)
Shortcut

TongueHi,

Actaully there r no such thing as mini or huge shih tzu...normally it depends on it's line, food n environment. If it's from Taiwan...she might be smaller..if she eats kibbles n not rice with a moderate amount, she'll small n lastly if a dog is caged most of the time she'll be small too.....of course by getting a certified dog, u r more asured of it's line n size.....though one from Taiwan line r more expensive...to determine the size..go to a breeder n see the parents especially the mum coz she'll follow the mum 80%..at least u'll know the size rite?

Then about cert..it's to certified ur dog is purebreed n microchip is a guideline by MKA for all certified dogs to have it implanted..it differs from licence of course coz a licence is one u buy from MPKL to prevent ur dog from being taken away. i live n penang so can't help u much...maybe u can call MKA for the listing of breeders n remember not to rush in buying ur dogSmile

nisha_d
Novice

Sep 28, 2003, 2:32 PM

Post #16 of 36 (3188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

hie.......hw r u?i wont rushing....thts y im doing a research...nathalie how did u toilet train ur baby......is tht was tough.....wht have u experience when u brought ur baby back?like to hear from u very soon.....actually me staying in flats have no idea where to ask him to pee or poo?i need to get more opinion.

dog lover.Smile

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 29, 2003, 5:19 AM

Post #17 of 36 (3181 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi,

yhanks i'm fine....i don't have the problem coz they naturally know how to go the garden to pee n poo. Don't worry...u can try using the solution sold in petshops or u can keep her in the cage after meal n after they wake up(time to usually pee or poo) till they've done it then u can let her out.Smile

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 29, 2003, 9:56 AM

Post #18 of 36 (3176 views)
Shortcut

24 " ?!! that's so big...nvr heard of that though

12" -15" still kinda big though.. Crazy

I think they're mostly 9"-13"..

i saw one really tiny so-called "imperial" shih tzu...only 8"..so cute..Smile

but i doubt they they're different "types" just that for the bigger "types" they use the bigger pups( pick of the litter) to breed and for the smaller ones use the smallest in the litter(runt)
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

nisha_d
Novice

Sep 29, 2003, 4:25 PM

Post #19 of 36 (3173 views)
Shortcut

hello....so u le ur baby pee n poo in the cage is it?as me im staying in a flats how m i supposed to take him out?guees wht yesterday i was talking bout shih tzu to my uncle well he is my granpa's nephew.....i met him like bout 3 times he has a german shepherd n a rottweiler .......i was talking to him so interestingly then he told me tht he spend nearly 15k n he also got cheated many times.......he said tht he bought 3 puppies n after few weeks the puppy was sick n need to put sleep........then later i told him if i want to buy the puppy i will let him know since he has a dog like bot 10 years well not for the new one la the dog he had before....then wat happen he took my dad to a pet shop in ulu langat dunno wherela looking for the puppy...n he told me he cudnt find shih tzu there n thts y he cant get me one.........i was like so shocked.....actually i didnt wanaa get it now i need 2 read a lot bout shih tzu then im ready to welcome him........thts why im asking u how was the first day u bought ur baby home so tht i can get prepared???

shih tzu vs meMad

doberman
ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 5:59 PM

Post #20 of 36 (3165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

yaya, maybe as u said the tiny 1 is about 8" and its really expensive if compare to the bigger breed 1 :)

maby i made a mistake :)

sori then!

Henry from Penang

lulugurl
ALPHA

Sep 30, 2003, 12:59 AM

Post #21 of 36 (3159 views)
Shortcut

hello,

I know i'll be out of topic but..r u coming for the gathering in penang on 11th of October? look up in the events section for more informationSmile
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

doberman
ALPHA

Sep 30, 2003, 1:28 AM

Post #22 of 36 (3158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

yaya, i did read the section already but im still not sure wheather got time to attend or not... i will let u all know if i goSmile

Henry from Penang

Kowpa

Sep 30, 2003, 7:46 AM

Post #23 of 36 (3153 views)
Shortcut

u r in the wrong thread

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 30, 2003, 8:08 AM

Post #24 of 36 (3151 views)
Shortcut

hi,

shih tzus are small breeds and they come in standard size. if there really is 24" n bigger shih tzus my small sized golden retriever will be shorter than a shih tzu and officially be proclaimed as toy breed in future. lol.

regards,
hunter

doberman
ALPHA

Sep 30, 2003, 4:36 PM

Post #25 of 36 (3141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] What to consider before getting ANOTHER dog [In reply to] Can't Post

sori sori, but i was just reply the mesg i read :) sori ya.

Henry from Penang

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my