Please HELP! Puppy is having feats!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

nickcaren

Sep 19, 2003, 1:39 AM

Post #1 of 52 (3456 views)
Shortcut
Please HELP! Puppy is having feats! Can't Post

Dear all,

Sadly this is my first post but not a happy one.

I've just bought a min. schnauzer (5 weeks old) have had her first jab. Last two days been observing her that she has had a bloated stomach. Took her to a vet and says everything OK (visual observation only) only mild skin prob. and took some deworming tablet. Shortly after, been having diarrhoea, thought i saw some worm eggs but not too sure...first time having a dog.

Then this morning she not moving, thought she's having a sprained neck, immediately took her to a vet, identified as having a feat. Suspect contracted distemper but cannot ascertain as nothing to test (been told by the vet). Got two options 1 put her to sleep & 2 try to save.......definately took the 2nd option. Now putting her on antibiotic, vitamins and drip....hoping she gets better and can be cured...she's been trembling occationally (i think its what they called feats)....funny thing is she is not having any vomiting, coughing, watery nose nor diarrhoea....the diarrhoea i think is due to deworming pill.....also her paws is soft and she is not having any fever yesterday n today. Currently at the vets place to see if she can survive 24 hrs......I'm very sad.....!!! Its just a few days after we bought her!!!

So please...guys n gals!! Any tips HELP!!!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 19, 2003, 2:14 AM

Post #2 of 52 (3454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nickcaren] Please HELP! Puppy is having feats! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear about your doggie ... I think your vet suspects that your dog is having "fits" ... which is symptomatic distemper ...

You doggie is now in good hands ... and is being looked after ... wait till tomorrow ... and see what the vet says ...

Take care

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Sep 19, 2003, 6:44 PM

Post #3 of 52 (3440 views)
Shortcut

Hi nickcaren,

I am so so sorry to hear what you little puppy has to go through.. please be patient and trust that the vet will try his utmost best for your little puppy..

best of luck... do update us on his progress ya!
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

Elly
ALPHA

Sep 19, 2003, 8:32 PM

Post #4 of 52 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Hi Dear,

Cross our fingers here for your pup. Hoping he gets well the soonest possible. Angelic

Lennie
Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2003, 8:48 PM

Post #5 of 52 (3431 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

I am not very fimiliar with the distemper disease...however, if it is confirmed by the vet that your puppy have contracted the illness, do read the post by "Shockmesane" Subject "Need help urgently to save a dog" he might be able to help you...maybe you can contact him!

Good luck, friend, and hope you puppy is well.

SmileStaying in or near Cheras area? Click here and add yourself to the list and join the CMD for EVENTS!
Tongue

nickcaren

Sep 20, 2003, 2:30 AM

Post #6 of 52 (3421 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lennie] Please HELP! Puppy is having feats! [In reply to] Can't Post

surchinmy, gwinn, elly, lennie,

Thanks for all your inputs...

Just an update, last nite, she poo and the doctor did an analysis for that and found that its not distemper but a parasite which resides in the intestines. There's lots of eggs...so now on antibiotic to stop the multiplication of eggs and on other medication to flush out all the parasites...cant remember what's the name of the parasite, starts with C though.

Today, condition is just improved a bit only can start to eat but still weak...chance of survival is still questionable....Wish Me Luck!!!

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 20, 2003, 4:04 AM

Post #7 of 52 (3418 views)
Shortcut

hello there,

I'm so sorry to hear abt ur lil pup..

but it's good to know that her condition has improved Smile

things are looking good Smile

will be crossing my fingers...and prayiog for more good news
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 20, 2003, 5:01 AM

Post #8 of 52 (3416 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi,

Pray that ur doggie'll recover...thank God it's not distemper coz it's very dangerous n it killed one of our pupsFrown

nickcaren

Sep 20, 2003, 6:19 PM

Post #9 of 52 (3412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Please HELP! Puppy is having feats! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all your prayer...

Visited her last evening as we received a call from the vet saying her condition turns from bad to worst. Now she's having difficulty in breathing...lungs congestion. She's gone unconscious for a moment last night and its really sad and painful to see her in such a state.

Not being able to do anything much now, we left feeling very difficult, can't sleep for a few days now.

We called the vet this morning and now her breathing eases a bit. Once again, she's improved but afraid may deteriorate anytime which worries us. We have been praying hard too and misses her a lot. Everyone in the household have been sad even though we've just had her for a few days. I would very much like to save her but looking at her suffering make me wanna take the second option which is to put her to sleep.

Would appreciate some opinion here on whether to continue fighting or to let her rest forever.....she's just 1 month plus....how can such an innocent puppy contract such a deadly disease...

sweeeng
ALPHA

Sep 20, 2003, 6:30 PM

Post #10 of 52 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Oh my gosh!!! It's so hurtful to hear this, man.... I really hope and pray that your pup will survive...

regards,
sweeeng

Lennie
Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2003, 9:00 PM

Post #11 of 52 (3407 views)
Shortcut

hey nickcaren,
sad to hear about the condition...thought everything was going to be alright when i read your previous post Frown

We will all pray with you! Keep your hopes high...Miracles does happen!

SmileStaying in or near Cheras area? Click here and add yourself to the list and join the CMD for EVENTS!
Tongue

icaruz

Sep 20, 2003, 11:51 PM

Post #12 of 52 (3404 views)
Shortcut

So sorry to hear about your doggie..Hope she gets better soon..Like Lennie said..Miracles do happen..many of us will be praying with you..Hope that can help a lil.. Update us on her condition okay..Never loose hope

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 21, 2003, 3:00 AM

Post #13 of 52 (3400 views)
Shortcut

Hello ... sorry Unsure ...

What is the vet's diagnosis now? ... is it disptemper or a parasite infestation? ... They are quite different conditions and treatment/support are also quite different ...

For disptemper:
Check these sites:

www.animalhealthchannel.com/distemper/

www.animalhealthchannel.com/distemper/diagnosis.shtml

Please ask your vet all the questions you many have ... and expect answers.

Take care ...

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 21, 2003, 3:05 AM)

arthur
ALPHA

Sep 21, 2003, 4:46 AM

Post #14 of 52 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Hi Nickcaren,

You have been given good advice by the forum members. Do hope your MS puppy will recover fully from her ordeal. I can only imagine what you and your family must be going thru. Do keep us updated and our prayers & best wishes are for your and your puppy.

BTW..pls confirm that your MS puppy is only 5 weeks old? Normally, a puppy only go to new homes at least from 8 weeks onwards..

Rdgs Arthur

valerie
Novice

Sep 21, 2003, 10:14 AM

Post #15 of 52 (3386 views)
Shortcut

hi there

i am so sorry to hear about what you and your puppy going thru right now.this is a very intense period be patient and hope that your dog can survive thru this!

may i ask what doyou bought your dog from??if it is from a pet shop it must comes with certain sort of health guarantee for your dog and tell them your dog condition to see what will they say?

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 22, 2003, 5:22 AM

Post #16 of 52 (3379 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi,

just keep ur fingers crossed, miracles do happen n even if it doesn't, u have given him all the best rite?Smile

cris
Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2003, 5:40 AM

Post #17 of 52 (3377 views)
Shortcut

i hope your pup will be ok. Dont give up hope. I got a cocker spaniel who got fits when she got distemper...and at one time she cant walk too. She will pee and poo and dirty herself too. What i did was to give her liver with rice...and when i see that she was stronger i use a cloth to hang her up to get her to stand for an hour and also to massage her legs every evening and morning before/after i am back from work. She did recover from her distemper and also she does walked after that but with a limp. But she will always have fits now and then. A pity is she was stolen when she was almost 2 yrs...and until now got no news of her.

So dont give up hope...there might be a miracle.

nickcaren

Sep 22, 2003, 10:18 PM

Post #18 of 52 (3361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cris] Please HELP! Puppy is having feats! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

Glad to have received all your encouragement, support and prayers. Indeed a miracle takes place here!

She's now better. At least the parasite or whatever it is, is under control. Everything exept the fits is OK now. She can eat, can move more but not standing and walking (partly due to the medication for its fits causing her to be sleepy and inactive).

The doctor says, if everything is improving at this pace, she will be able to go home in another two days time. The only thing of concern is on the fits...it happens on exitement. Meaning to say, she does not have any fits the whole day but when we visited her, she's exited and therefore got fits again. The doctor also says that there's no guarantee that the fits can go away. It may recover or it may be there forever and she has to be on medication. That's what worries me the most now. Its like handicap already from such young age (1.5 months old, confirmed correct).

For whatever the case may be, we will definately still keep her and make her comfortable in whatever way we can.

Thank GOD all our prayers are answered! We are so happy to see that her condition is improving these few days. Always believe in prayers!

What can I say, having found this website makes a lot of difference. Gives me a lot of idea and answer to all my doubts.

A BIG THANK YOU TO SURCHINMY, GWINN, ELLY, LENNIE, REALITYDREAMER, NATHALIE, SWEEENG, ICARUZ, ARTHUR, VALERIE & CRIS! For all your care, prayers, and informations shared! Hopefully, one day we can actually meet in gathering and by that time, I can bring my Schatzie to let her meet her saviours! Smile

Will update again once we have further developments...I will be visiting her this evening!

Lennie
Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2003, 11:19 PM

Post #19 of 52 (3355 views)
Shortcut

YES!Angelic
U See! Miracle DOES happen!!!!!

Congratulations, friend!
Yeah, can't wait to see little Schatzie!
One day!

Tongue

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Sep 22, 2003, 11:27 PM

Post #20 of 52 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Hi nickcaren,

Am so so happy for you that you little one is already recovering.. hehhee.. but please careful not to keep it too excited!! Smile

Hopefully she will be well enough to join us for the gathering in KK. Will be looking forward to meeting you and your furkid!! Angelic

Chin up! Life itself is already a miracle!Wink
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

nickcaren

Sep 22, 2003, 11:30 PM

Post #21 of 52 (3355 views)
Shortcut

To reply further some questions from fellow forummers...

My pup is now 6 weeks plus as at today. As far as the medical (vaccination card) record states, she's 5 weeks when I bought her. Sold at too young an age. For me, I am new to dog ownership, so don't know that its not advisable to get such a young puppy....just thought its cute. Stupid me!

Brought from a breeder in Spg. Pulai, a little further South from Ipoh. In fact its been brought to a pet shop and further sold to an owner but he/she has not given any deposit yet. So I went and have a look and liked her very much which I brought (with a higher price) which they hesitantly sold to me. But I guess I am a bit too rush...always like that, my bad nature. Must be unlucky for me to pay for a higher priced puppy and got a sick one. Wonder how much is the medical fee...must be whopping the amount!!! Pirate

As far as sickness is concerned, still its not confirmed whether its canine distemper or parasite infection. But looking at the symptoms, I do not think its distemper as she does not have liquid discharge from her eyes or nose, she has no swollen eyes, no herdening of paw, no diarrhoea, no vomit, no high temperature. The doctor did mentioned about a parasite (gastrointestinal type) can't remember the name (name starts with 'C' though but only one word) which has got symptoms such as causing fits and breaking the red blood cell. My pup did have fits and did urinate with blood traces. The doctor says these are common for such parasite infection. So I guess its really not distemper then!

The fit, as explained by the doc, is not a serious one. This is because the fit just causes her to turn her neck upwards or sideways and her legs stretches (like cramps). There's no biting of the teeth and body shake (tremors or vibrations). So hopefully its not too much damage until its permanent. But like the doc says, theres no guarantee....can only know after the parasite is gone and medication has stopped to see if she has got fit anymore. Another cause of the fit is maybe due to her parents (dam / sire) which has got fit as well, this I am not too sure cause I have never met her parents but I doubt it is inheritance as she does not have fits when we got her for a few days...been playful for a few days.

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2003, 12:57 AM

Post #22 of 52 (3347 views)
Shortcut

hi, good to know that everything is alright...
i think u got the pup too young!!! 5 weeks when u bought her... i think her immune system is not properly built up yet....
but luckily not distemper..... i think u mean coccidia parasites...
did u contact the breeder or petshop??

i think problem lies w/ ppl handling the pups and not whether it's better to buy from petshops or breeders...

nickcaren

Sep 23, 2003, 1:30 AM

Post #23 of 52 (3345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BaoBao] Please HELP! Puppy is having feats! [In reply to] Can't Post

Baobao,

Yes!! You're rite!! Its Coccidia Parasite!! This is a dangerous parasite to Puppies....almost destroyed her entirely...even now we don't know whether it has caused any permanent damage to my dear pup!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 26, 2003, 8:01 PM

Post #24 of 52 (3317 views)
Shortcut

... Glad to hear that your little 'un is getting better ... will keep fingers crossed and hope the little one gets to go home with you soon ...

Take care - Smile

nickcaren

Sep 26, 2003, 8:36 PM

Post #25 of 52 (3312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Please HELP! Puppy is having feats! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi surchinmy,

Thanks for your concern and your support...really needed them!

Well, to update everyone here as well...My pup is getting better everyday, today will be the last day she will be at the vet, I'll be taking her home this evening. Of course she's still on medication for another 5 days and will be visiting the doc again after that...hopefully no more meds. after the 5 days. Poor pup had to take so much medicine so young.

The fits is no more but still on medication to ensure it recovers totally. She starts to stand and walk now but still weak and will rest just after a while but a lot better compared to before where she cannot even move and her hind legs are like crippled...at least now she managed to stand a bit n walk a bit. She's also more conscious now as last time, she's like drunk..her head will nod non-stop while she turns sideways to n fro...she's more focussed now. She can eat a lot too but has to be fed...cannot come to her bowl yet.

Still hoping for the best for her...hoping that there's no long term effects caused by the coccidia.

After she gets all well, I will be introducing her and myself at the new member section...never did that b4 due to emergency last time and now waiting for her to fully recover b4 I intro....last time afraid she'll be no more..then no point intro rite!! But now everything seems quite positive....Thanks to all of you here for the support & encouragement not to forget all your prayers! Really appreciate that...gives my pup and myself warmth in our heart knowing all of you and your prayers and all!!!Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my