my puppy attacked me!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dobermannkl
Novice

Sep 17, 2003, 10:18 PM

Post #1 of 92 (6764 views)
Shortcut
my puppy attacked me! Can't Post

HELP! my puppy attacked me when i beat her. i can see her hair standing up. how come she behaves so fierce and what should i do?

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 17, 2003, 11:29 PM

Post #2 of 92 (6757 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dobermannkl] my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
HELP! my puppy attacked me when i beat her. i can see her hair standing up. how come she behaves so fierce and what should i do?

If I'm your dog, you will be in the hospital by now for sure Pirate

You have no business in beating your puppy in the first place. A firm sharp voice would have usually be enough to stop the negative action. Or a diversion from that action would be in order. Dogs don't know how to talk to you or have a human standard to know what they are doing wrong. So to beat it while they didn't know what they do wrong is not only unfair but outright barbaric. You are only teaching your puppy that you are bad news and you are inprinting in her that you equals pain. This is the fastest way to send your bonding with her downhill.

Sorry! I'm an advocate for the dog not unfair handler. Hope you see this and read up alternative way of teaching your dog instead of beating. No easier way to say this.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

dobermannkl
Novice

Sep 18, 2003, 1:30 AM

Post #3 of 92 (6749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

My pup does not take 'NO' for an answer. I only beat her when thing get out of control. FYI, I have read many books in puppy training.

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2003, 1:52 AM

Post #4 of 92 (6747 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My pup does not take 'NO' for an answer.

Can you elaborate more on that.

In Reply To
I only beat her when thing get out of control

Can you eloborate how she gets out of control?

In Reply To
FYI, I have read many books in puppy training.

Can you give the titles of the books and the name of author.

Need more information to go by

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Sam&Elgin
Novice

Sep 18, 2003, 1:58 AM

Post #5 of 92 (6747 views)
Shortcut

Dear Dobermannkl,
You haven't explained what your dog does for you beat her, but you have to stop the situation before it gets out of control.
Dogs usually become agressive when they feel threatened and cannot flee. Your beating her is the catalyst to this agressive behaviour, therefore you have to change your behaviour. Stop beating her and think long and hard about how you can avoid getting into this situation. If you explain a bit more about "out of control" and the problems leading up the beating maybe we can help you with some ideas. If you like to read books on dog training I recommend "The culture clash" by Jean Donaldson. The best book on dog training that I have ever read!!

dobermannkl
Novice

Sep 18, 2003, 2:20 AM

Post #6 of 92 (6745 views)
Shortcut

When she bite something say a shoe, i would say no and take the shoe away and give her a toy to play with. when she repeat the offence, i would slap her gently and say no. it happen so many time and she still bite the same thing.

my defination of out of control is when she would take the shoe with her and run away from me when she sees me approaching her.

sorry, cannot remember the name of the books.

so, how should i train her?

Sam&Elgin
Novice

Sep 18, 2003, 3:24 AM

Post #7 of 92 (6740 views)
Shortcut

First of all she's a puppy so she's going to bite things. It's only natural. I would put up high or in a cupboard all the shoes and other things you don't want her to chew. Then provide plenty of alternative things she can chew. I use raw hide bones and KONGS which I packed with dried food mixed with a bit of canned food. The KONG toys are expensive but last forever (mine, so far is 5 years old!). After she's got use to getting the food out of the KONG you can pack it in really tightly and she'll spend hours trying to lick and chew it all out.
If she does get hold of something she shouldn't DON'T chase her. You're rewarding her behaviour and she think its a game, one she can always win!! Have some special smelly, yummy treats, something she really likes available. Ignore her, leave her with the shoe and go to get the treats and show them to her. Call her in a friendly, excited way try to persuade her to come to you. Normally dogs will drop the shoe and take the treat (a good way to teach GIVE). Put the shoe away quietly without scolding her. Treats work well but it's sometimes hard to get the dogs attention, so I also used with my dog his favourite toy (easier for him to see) I never gave him free access to this toy but used it often as a distraction when he was doing something naughty. Again wave it at her and when she comes or drops the shoe play with her loads. Remember the treats or toys have to be really good better than the shoe so choose something that is of HIGH VALUE to your dog
Be patient she's a puppy so she will misbehave but try to reward good behaviour (give her praise when she's chewing something that she should) rather than punishing bad behaviour.
Good Luck

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 18, 2003, 4:18 AM

Post #8 of 92 (6736 views)
Shortcut

hello,

sam is right...what ever u do, DO NOT chase her. She'll think it's a game and u are in fact rewarding her by giving her a game of catch.

Teach her a new command, "let go". Whenever she gets a shoe, get her (walk firmly and stiffly, make sure your eyes are on her; dogs sense your feelings) say let go, and get it out of her mouth (perhaps hit her softly) once it's out of her mouth(make sure she knows the action, don't praise her too soon; give it a second or 2) praise her loads and play a real game. . If she still runs, stop and and really stare at her. She'll soon realize that she's not going to get u to chase her and only get a stare in return...she'll probably stop soon after the realization hits her.As for the rest of the time, perhaps keep the shoe away; in a cupboard or a place where she can't get it

btw, how old is ur dobe? and how much time do u spend a day with her? what activities do u do with her daily?

as for the agression, it sounds pretty serious. No dog properly brought up should even hv the thought of doing any harm to it's owner.In what way is the attack? as in really chewed u up? jumped on u? any teeth baring? how bout growling? When u beat her(and she attacks)...is the shoe with her? or is it with u?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2003, 6:27 PM

Post #9 of 92 (6725 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
When she bite something say a shoe, i would say no and take the shoe away and give her a toy to play with. when she repeat the offence, i would slap her gently and say no. it happen so many time and she still bite the same thing.

my defination of out of control is when she would take the shoe with her and run away from me when she sees me approaching her.

sorry, cannot remember the name of the books.

so, how should i train her?

Actually, there is nothing wrong with your puppy. She is being doggy as she is and as dogs they will be mouthy as a puppy. What mentioned by Sam is good. Start looking at the doggies positive action than to pick on her negative trait.

If you beat the pup everytime she bites a shoe then the pup will always run from you. It is a natural instinct. You and me has that too when we were kids and did something wrong and when Papa or Momma comes with a cane we surely bolt isn't it? However if Poppa and Momma calls to us in a good loving tone come here my dear, don't worry...etc...etc.. we will be more receptive. Therefore a puppy will always be a puppy as genetically they are going to have to do things like a dog.

If I were you, I will think of what I can do to prevent the negative action from ever happening.....I repeat the important word "prevent". One thing is keep all the shoes in a proper place away from the puppy. Keep them in the shoe closet or stack them high up. When there is no shoe there is no biting shoe and there will be no need for slapping nor there is a need to chase the puppy, therefore no heart pain if you prevent things from happening before it does. A dog that grows up never having a chance to biite any shoes will never bite shoe.

Many a times, we will become reactive to certain actions which is natural but we must always think of what the dog is thinking and be creative to prevent any disaster. Once it happen it is too late and we must say to ourselves.....too bad I'm late, I must be quicker next time......not beat the dog.

I suggest you join a training club nearest to you or get a motivational trainer to help you train the puppy. This will create better bonding with your puppy and your ability to command control her.

Also why I ask which book you read is very important as not all books on dog training you get on the shelves are good. If you read the wrong books which uses compulsions on the dog early inprint then it will mess up your dog beyond repair. The rule of thumb is motivational way you can follow but if any book ask you to penalise the dog on her first mistake then put them back into the shelves.

PSD

dobermannkl
Novice

Sep 18, 2003, 9:49 PM

Post #10 of 92 (6713 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for advise guys. Really appreciate it.

I have been keeping my shoes in the shoe rack. The only time she has access to the shoe/slippers is when I walk into the house and left my slippers outside. She grab the slipper immediate after I take it off. Told her many times that she cannot bite it but she still repeat it many times, even when I was on the spot.

If I stop chasing her. she would be happy to destroy the slipper within 5 minutes. She has successfully chew off few pairs of slipper, many plants, plastic pots, cloths.. etc...

The attack happened when I was using a stick to beat her, she grow and show her teeth to me. She would then jump to bite the stick. There were time where I shouted NO to her, she bark at me and jump at me.

Not that I like beating my puppy. I just felt that sometime if I punish her, she will only know that by doing it, it hurts and will stop doing it again. My pup is 6 months old. Don't expect her to behaves like an angle. She should at least stop biting anything and everything during my present.

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2003, 10:18 PM

Post #11 of 92 (6711 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for advise guys. Really appreciate it.

I have been keeping my shoes in the shoe rack. The only time she has access to the shoe/slippers is when I walk into the house and left my slippers outside. She grab the slipper immediate after I take it off. Told her many times that she cannot bite it but she still repeat it many times, even when I was on the spot.

If I stop chasing her. she would be happy to destroy the slipper within 5 minutes. She has successfully chew off few pairs of slipper, many plants, plastic pots, cloths.. etc...

The attack happened when I was using a stick to beat her, she grow and show her teeth to me. She would then jump to bite the stick. There were time where I shouted NO to her, she bark at me and jump at me.

Not that I like beating my puppy. I just felt that sometime if I punish her, she will only know that by doing it, it hurts and will stop doing it again. My pup is 6 months old. Don't expect her to behaves like an angle. She should at least stop biting anything and everything during my present.

The chewing part I'm not worried but the grabbing your shoes while you are still there is something else. She also barks at you and jump at you. This is really something else. To be fair, have to see your dog but based on your description this looks like a dominant problem.

Dogs are pack animals and in the pack they have rankings. In normal circumstances we want to be Number 1 and the dog Number two. In your case your dog believes he is number 1 and you are number 2.

My only advice is that you better quickly Obedience train this girl. You didn't mention what breed she is but at 6 months what you see today will turn into 10 times worse when she becomes 2 years.

Also do you have a crate or kennel? better start with one and keep her there and only let her out in intervals to pee pee and poo poo when the coast is clear meaning all shoes or whatever she likes to bites are staked away.

And after all those, beating is still never the option to be used ever in this case. You may want to consider a softer puppy in future as hard puppies are more suitable for more experienced owners.

PSD

dobermannkl
Novice

Sep 19, 2003, 12:50 AM

Post #12 of 92 (6695 views)
Shortcut

PSD, u r getting me now. I can tolerate with the biting part as most puppy likes to bite. My pup need constant monitoring. Once u turn ur back on her, there gone the item that u just reminded her not to bite. Unsure

I cannot accept her behavior of barking at me furiously. She is indeed a dominant pup. While talking her for a walk, if I pull her away from something that interest her, she would jump at me or bite my leg. Won't u get angry at that sort of behavior?Mad

How could I train my pup with this sort of behavior other than sending her to obedience school? Btw, my pup is a doberman. Do u have any dog PSD?

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 19, 2003, 1:16 AM

Post #13 of 92 (6690 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
PSD, u r getting me now. I can tolerate with the biting part as most puppy likes to bite. My pup need constant monitoring. Once u turn ur back on her, there gone the item that u just reminded her not to bite. Unsure

I cannot accept her behavior of barking at me furiously. She is indeed a dominant pup. While talking her for a walk, if I pull her away from something that interest her, she would jump at me or bite my leg. Won't u get angry at that sort of behavior?Mad

How could I train my pup with this sort of behavior other than sending her to obedience school? Btw, my pup is a doberman. Do u have any dog PSD?

I'm afraid you may not be able to handle her. I was tempted to reply you a way to train her but it will be liken to asking florist to do architec's job. Hope you understand that I'm not trying to make you look little but I hope you appreciate my frankness.

All I can recomend is keep her crated and please do some OB otherwise find someone elso who has the skills and experience and give her to him believe me, it is better this way for you and for the dog.

PSD

dobermannkl
Novice

Sep 19, 2003, 1:47 AM

Post #14 of 92 (6684 views)
Shortcut

My pup is kept in a spacious kennel. From time to time, we will let her out to pee and poo.

PSD, try me. Tell me what are the techniques to train my pup. Fyi, I have kept doberman, alsation and german shepherd before. So, I m not new in handling big size dog. None of them behave like my current pup.

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 19, 2003, 2:08 AM

Post #15 of 92 (6682 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My pup is kept in a spacious kennel. From time to time, we will let her out to pee and poo.

PSD, try me. Tell me what are the techniques to train my pup. Fyi, I have kept doberman, alsation and german shepherd before. So, I m not new in handling big size dog. None of them behave like my current pup.

Sorry, other than keep her in her kenel and ensuring coast is clear and OB. I'm not ready to let out that technique without seing and testing the dog personally. Please understand that I cannot risk telling you wrong techniques which may damage the dog beyond salvage. I cannot live with this responsibility. As owners and handlers, we have to be truthful first to ourselves what level we are in and to attempt beyond our capability will be disaster. It is a lot different owning many big dogs against the experience of training one successfully. If you are unable to spend the time to OB your dog properly believe me you are not going to be able to handle this bitch despite trying to convince me otherwise. I think I said enough. Again, sorry to be direct but I know no other nicer way to say it.

PSD

Sam&Elgin
Novice

Sep 19, 2003, 2:34 AM

Post #16 of 92 (6677 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like she's playing a game by stealing the slippers from under your feet, after all it was a good way to get you to chase her. To stop the game can you maybe step inside close the door so she can't get to your shoes as you're taking them off (she's outside, you're inside or vice versa).
Can you keep hold of your shoes with a hand as you take them off? Got to be supple for that one!!
Think along these lines to solve the problem.
You'll probably only need to be really carefully about what you do with your shoes for a month or so and then she'll forget about this great shoe stealing game she once had with you and you can take your shoes off without thinking about it.
As I said before, if you've only seen the agression when you beat her, if you stop beating her the aggression will probably stop.

dobermannkl
Novice

Sep 19, 2003, 9:22 PM

Post #17 of 92 (6664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sam&Elgin] my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

U r right. Actually, I stopped chasing my pup since last week when she is biting on something. After a while, she lost interest and come to me or search for something else to bite. Crazy

The training book always emphasis that must train puppy from young. I wonder if I always hide my slippers away from her, how does she know that she is not allow to bite it the next time she sees one? She is 6 months old and she should started to obey the owner.

I can hide the shoes, plastic pots, cloths etc. what about the plants? she has been biting off the leaves and pulling the whole plant out!

Sam&Elgin
Novice

Sep 20, 2003, 2:22 AM

Post #18 of 92 (6652 views)
Shortcut

Just keep on putting the shoes and stuff away and after a while ( 2-4 months) she'll forget that them.
As for the plants that's a bit more difficult, as I said before try to redirect the chewing to positive stuff like doggy chews and KONGS. Also don't get mad at her it could be that she's discovered that this is a good way to get your attention, even if it's negative attention. Other solution is to have a plantless yard!
If she doesn't listen to you, do a bit more training. Always give high value rewards at the beginning and do simple stuff like SIT, LIE DOWN etc... Start with something she does well and really reward her for it. If you practice say 15 minutes every day, giving rewards and being positive you'll find that she'll listen to you more. Always finish the training when she's doing really well and end on a high note. Slowly reduce the rewards over time, for the commands she's doing well, just give a reward ocassionally but continue to give them frequently for new things.
Gradually introduce commands like GIVE (good if a shoe accident happens sometime in the furture) OFF (for the plants) and other commands that will be useful to you.
If listening to you becomes a really rewarding experience she'll start to do well. Don't forget that a reward isn't just food, it's also playing, praise or going for a walk.
If you don't have it do buy The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson, it'll help you loads. You can get it at Kinokunya around 60RM

dobermannkl
Novice

Sep 22, 2003, 9:56 PM

Post #19 of 92 (6638 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sam&Elgin] my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the advise S&E.

will keep thing away from her for another few months. fyi, she is already 6 months old, not a puppy anymore.

my pup is a smart dog. she understand the basic command like sit, down, come, food.. and most important of all is NO. problem is that she does not respond to the command all the time. when i see her biting plants, i would go up to her and say NO. she would then turn back and start jumping on me and bite my legs. she is such a stuborn female pup.

anyway, will read on the book that recommended by u and see if there is any improvement on her.

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 22, 2003, 10:33 PM

Post #20 of 92 (6636 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
fyi, she is already 6 months old, not a puppy anymore.

Sorry to interrupt but can't really not do so. 6 months for any dog will still be a puppy. 1 year for any dog will still be a puppy after 1 year to 18 months is considered a young adult. From 19 mths onwards can we only cosider them adults.

PSD

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Sep 22, 2003, 10:39 PM

Post #21 of 92 (6635 views)
Shortcut

hahaSmile JOJO behave in that way too when she was a pup.. understand how you feelWink very frustrating yea?

what they suggested was true and work..bite shoe? keep away the shoe..

fight back? probably u should spent more time onto her (don't think a faithful dog will fight back to their dominant ownerWink)

if u really can not tahan and decided to punish her..don't beat her.. put the minyak kipas on the shoe..make fun out of it.. dont spoil your mod!

furkid is for compinion and for fun NOT for increase porblems and stress! have fun!
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Sep 22, 2003, 11:05 PM

Post #22 of 92 (6630 views)
Shortcut

Hi dobermannkl,

I couldn't help but had to put in some of my comments. Although I cannot verify if what PSD or the others say are reliable, but not hitting her at the moment may be a good option. However, you are right about punishing her when she gets out of hand. I heard from someone who was really experienced with dogs, that sometimes the pups will test you, if you are strong enough to be its master, otherwise, it will not respect you... Of course, we should be good to our doggies, but that does not mean that we must always play by their rules because ultimately, YOU are the master.

My bullmastiff was exactly like your pup, he would grind his teeth at my dad, and my dad was FIRM I tell you, taking his slipper to wrack the shit out of him... and that fella fought back some more... but at the end of the day, my dad won, and the bullmastiff is now VERY VERY ATTACHED to my dad... he would not listen to anyone, but my dad.

So ask yourself this question.. or rather, give you and your pup another shot.. if you think you can't handle her, you might want to consider have the k9 unit take her up? Wink

Here's wishing the best of luck! Do update us if there's any improvement!
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

NikE
Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2003, 11:31 PM

Post #23 of 92 (6627 views)
Shortcut

Hi Dobermankl,

May i know what breed of puppy u having? Bcos some dogs really like to bite, y dun u give something for her to bite, like what Sam said, Kong is very useful. I let my mixed lab puppy walk around in my house, he never bite any shoes even it jz bside him, bcos i let him play with a big rope since he come to my house, i also put it inside his crate to let him get used to bite that rope only, then when i let him out, i'll bring out the rope also, so that he'll play n bite the rope only, not other things, not even the display toy i display at living room. N he is only 3 mth old.

I think it's bcos u didnt give him a proper training when she's young, mayb from now on, u really have to spend more time to train her, but not beat her.

Hope ur little 'devil' can bcome an angel soon, cheersSmile

-- N i k E --
B L A C K mixed L A B R A D O R

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 22, 2003, 11:42 PM

Post #24 of 92 (6626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn] my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

you might want to consider have the k9 unit take her up? Wink

Gwinn,

You are real sly!!!Wink K9 unit??? I know what you are getting at and Ai-ney will be most oblige to go the the pass over ceremony I bet...lolLaugh

Anyway, What you wrote has many truth. Dogs have personality and so is humans. To match soft dogs to hard human will result in abused dog while to match hard dog to soft personality will result in pack challenge and handler aggression. Many a times this is very hard to be accepted as no one will want to claim that they are are not able to handle the dog but sooner or later the truth will still be the truth.

Nevertheless, improving our knowledge on concepts of training and improving our own skills in that area will make us handle such dog better.

I for one cannot match myself to soft dogs not that I cannot train them effectively but it causes a lot of conflict in myself and causes too much stress than I prefer to have so I won't even start with a soft dog that way. So happy for me and happy for the dog too.

PSD

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Sep 22, 2003, 11:45 PM

Post #25 of 92 (6624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn] my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

u remind me the snow dog movie : BITE THEIR EARS!

hahahaTongue
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my