First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

JolinG
Doggyman

Oct 1, 2003, 8:08 AM

Post #76 of 92 (2085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

ahha oooooh i see
nvm..stick to behaviour...health...diet....and those serious stuff...your better at it anyway!
eekekeSmile

dobermannkl
Novice

Oct 1, 2003, 9:18 PM

Post #77 of 92 (2070 views)
Shortcut

i know it is not advisable to keep the dog in the kennel and on leashed for long hours, due to her destructive behaviour, i have no choice. i understand that her mouthy habbits could be due to not getting enuf freedom. she just love bitting the plants even if she is playing with me. parent really got upset with that.

i understand also doberman is full of energy and must have a big space for dob to run around. i do play ball fetching with her (not everytime when she is unleash) and after 5 minutes of game, she would go for the plant. Unsure i read some where about giving too much exercise to the puppy is not good. so, i will only play ball fetching game with her at most twice a day. with that, it is impossible to make her feel tired all the time and certainly not advisable to do that all the time right?Smile

yes, she does get excited and jump at me when she sees me. i have been teaching her to sit down if she wants me to pet her and it works. she also jump at me when she is angry especially if i say 'NO' to her when i saw her trying to pull the plant out from the pot. she would prey me as the victim and not the plant. i tried saying Nooo in different voice tone or ignore her completely but she would continue jumping, biting and tear my t-shirt off. lately i tried to retrain her collar till she is calm down. she would jump at me when i let her go. i tried retrain her collar again but she will run away and come back to bite my leg.

do u think personally sending her to the abedience class would help her to improve her respect towards me?

surchinmy, thanks for be so patient with me and thanks for the advise. Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 1, 2003, 10:28 PM

Post #78 of 92 (2067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dobermannkl] my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Smile ...

I am sorry ... but you are going round in circles ...

(A) You agree that your dog does not have enough free time or exercise ...

If you say that her destructive behaviour means long hours of restraint then you are perpetuating a never ending cycle of suffering for your dog! ...

Her behaviour arises BECAUSE she does not have enough freedom or exercise. And unless you find some way to give her that freedom or exercise ... nothing will change. That is why I suggest you take your dog for a good walk everyday without fail.

(B) You say your parents get upset because your dog attacks the plants

If necessary ... as owner and friend ... you stay with your dog every moment she is free and make sure she does not mouth the plants and has sufficient freedom and exercise ...

So unless your parents have planted bushes & plants all along the roads & streets where you live ... That is why I suggest you take your dog for a good walk everyday without fail.

(B) You play ball 5 minutes at a time.

Playing ball for 5 mintues is not even enough exercise for even an old man like me! ... Please note: I did not suggest that you "exhaust, run or jump" your dog ... I said take your dog for a real walk ... and when she looks tired ... then take her home. Without proper and sufficient exercise, a dog's skeletal and musculature development is going to suffer anyway ... So please ... take your dog for a good walk everyday without fail.

(C) You think the growling Nooo will not work ... and refer to "sit" training.

Sorry ... please forget all the training 'sit' business for the time being ... If your dog is not getting enough freedom and exercise ... nothing will change ... That is why I suggest you take your dog for a good walk everyday without fail.

Unless you have better idea or solution that is sensible - please do as suggested ... and practice the Growl NOOOO & restraint ... consistently, regularly & diligently. And please note, consistently and regularly means spending time with your dog ... That is why I suggest you take your dog for a good walk everyday without fail.

(D) You ask about attending MKA obedience classes

From what information you have provided ... unless you give your dog enough freedom and exercise, your attending any MKA or any other training course is not going to do any good. If I lock you up 18 to 20 hours every day - are you going to be interested in attending obedience class with me once a week?

And if by accident - you happen to board your dog with a good & responsible trainer - where your dog gets decent treatment, freedom & exercise - she might not want to go back with you!!! ... That is why I suggest you take your dog for a good walk everyday without fail.

(E) Conclusion:

Please understand ... a 6month old puppy is full of life and energy ... she wants to live ... you are not letting her live ... You want her to behave but you treat her like a prisoner ...

Building a relationship with another living thinking being does not work this way ... If only you'd stop giving reasons for what you can or cannot do ... and JUST GO DO IT ... then maybe you can make a difference with your dog.

Dogs can be trained to obey out of fear ... Dogs can be trained with punishment & deprivation ... Dogs can be trained with cruelty ... But you cannot train any dog to give you respect ... You want respect from your dog - YOU EARN IT ... You earn it by giving yourself ... your time and your effort to the dog ... every day ... and you start by taking your dog for a good walk everyday without fail.

Cheers ... Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 1, 2003, 10:37 PM)

Kowpa

Oct 1, 2003, 10:37 PM

Post #79 of 92 (2061 views)
Shortcut

some humans are easily trained n some r not. tis dob of urs seem to have a human brain I think nobdy like me can help

dobermannkl
Novice

Oct 2, 2003, 1:36 AM

Post #80 of 92 (2046 views)
Shortcut

thanks surchinmy for ur valuable advise. i will remember and practise the "That is why I suggest you take your dog for a good walk everyday without fail."

will update u of the progress if there is any.

fyi, i do monitor her from time to time when she is free so that she does not mouth too many plants.

anyway, thanks again.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 1:55 AM

Post #81 of 92 (2043 views)
Shortcut

From your postings (and a gut feeling) I think you may have a good dog ...

Consistent, Regular & Diligent ... means you teach your dog not to mouth anything all the time (and not just from time to time) ... if you wish to teach discipline - you must first yourself be disciplined & consistent ...

Do take your dog for good walks (not 10minute strolls okay) ... but you still must think of a way to allow your dober more freedom ... a few hours a day is not enough.

Hope to get good updates from you and your dog ...

Cheers Smile

Check out the following:

Training books by by New Skete Monks (Both books are a little dated but still good)

http://www.amazon.com/...v=glance&s=books

Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons, Sarah Wilson (good overall training manual)

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 2, 2003, 2:35 AM)

PSD
ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 3:17 AM

Post #82 of 92 (2037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Surchinmy,Kowpa, dobbiekl] my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
some humans are easily trained n some r not. tis dob of urs seem to have a human brain I think nobdy like me can help

Kowpa, Look like you give up also ah? Wink

Surchinmy, Looks like you had it up to there also Sly. Anyway I admire your diligence and ability to key the words in so many times. You are a good guy.

Dobbiekl, Surchinmy is one step from blowing himself up. He has a valid point that you should stop making all kinds of excuses not to do this or that. If you can't handle this after all these advices, you have to seriously look at yourself and admit your own ability. BTW, be responsible enough to buy a proper book to read and understand and continuously refered to. Don't be so stingy to the state that you must get a free reading in MPH. Those 2 titles mentioned by Surchinmy is very good books. Stop whining and start doing. Ok...Ok....shoot me if you think I'm scolding you again.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2003, 5:38 AM

Post #83 of 92 (2030 views)
Shortcut

LOL Laugh

Like the way you emphasize on taking the dobe pup for a walkWink

By the end of the post, I already hv "That is why I suggest you take your dog for a good walk everyday without fail. " in my head. Laugh
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2003, 5:40 AM

Post #84 of 92 (2029 views)
Shortcut

oh yea, just want to confirm

I jog Kaizer abt 20-30 mins daily for abt 4 km..

Is that ok for his bone growth?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 6:49 AM

Post #85 of 92 (2027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ya ...Smile

Well ... kinda depends on how hard you run ... which was the reason why I chatted with you about jogging last week ... Smile ... Was finding out whether it was necessary to caution you about Kaizer and Hazel ... Smile ...

I think a gentle jog 20min jog over even ground should be okay for a GSP ... Have seen how young GSPs play when they are given enough space ... they play & run very hard indeed ... Just like RRs ...

Still ... observe Kaizer ... vary your jogging rate ... and interspace with brisk walk ... don't encourage him to jump too much ... jog on grass if possible ... and never force Kaizer's pace when he slows down ...

Cheers Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 7:16 AM

Post #86 of 92 (2025 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

" ... diligence and ability to key the words in so many times ..."

... thanks - Smile ... my wife is not so flattering ... she calls it stubbornness ...*laughs*

But lucky got copy & paste function ... Tongue ...

Cheers ...

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2003, 9:18 AM

Post #87 of 92 (2023 views)
Shortcut

aah....ok

things should be ok then..when I get home...he still wants to walk. Tongue

thanks Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

PSD
ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 7:32 PM

Post #88 of 92 (2011 views)
Shortcut

heheheh!, Looking at your post I'd say that you are a very detailed person indeed. I don't think it was stubbornness......rather sometimes we have to stand firm on something we believe in. This I think is the way we further our intelectual selves. Good to have known you. Rgds.Smile

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 8:51 PM

Post #89 of 92 (2004 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will show your post to my wife ... it might help change her mind ... LaughTongue ...

It's good knowing you too ...

Cheers

PSD
ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 9:34 PM

Post #90 of 92 (2000 views)
Shortcut

The pleasure is mine surchinmy....Smile

Hope this helps with the wife too....lolLaugh

PSD

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Oct 3, 2003, 4:35 AM

Post #91 of 92 (1986 views)
Shortcut

eh now no more F4 now into mini cars... hehehehe ! love to own a mini someday !

cheers,
minglmy

beyond

Mar 22, 2004, 10:41 AM

Post #92 of 92 (1902 views)
Shortcut
Re: my puppy attacked me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Man...I think I have years ahead studying on how to keep a dog before really getting a dog...VEry informative!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my