Paw up trick

doi_nk
Novice

Sep 17, 2003, 4:51 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1333 views)
Shortcut
Paw up trick Can't Post

hi,

For those who went to the AKC event on 14/9, any idea whats the English command used for the Police dogs where the dogs did a little paw up towards the end of the doggie presentation ? How do you train the dogs to do that ?

Oh, btw I was wondering if the Obedience training offer training guides on tricks like the above? I've read the Obedience guidelines in MKA ..nothing mentioned abt tricks...

Thanks,

just me,

doink

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 17, 2003, 7:45 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doi_nk] Paw up trick [In reply to] Can't Post

hi!

are u referring to the sit-up command where the dogs sit straight up like a little teddy bear?

some dogs could naturally do it easily with treats, other take months to learn. to teach the dog sit up, one way is to sit your dog, with his back closely facing a wall so that he could lean on in case he loses his balance, hold a treat and place it on top of his nose. then slowly move the treats a little behind.say "sit up!" your dog will try to stand up or jump.. sit him down. he will then try to reach the treat.. maybe by pawing it.. if your dog is a natural, he'd lift his head backwards and do a short sit up, trying to get the treat. immediately (even if it's just for 2 or 3 seconds), PRAISE and TREAT!!!!

if your dog is not a natural in this, what i did was to tug my hand under my dog's front paws and lift him up. in other words i'm posing my dog to the sit up position... whilst when he is lifted in that position, i praised and treated while saying "good boy!!! sit up! sit up!!!"

i wasn't consistent teaching him the command, it took me about 6 months for him to do the sit up. at first your dog will only do it for a few short seconds, but soon he'll get the idea and the duration will be longer and longer. happy training!

oh, btw, unfortunately tricks were not thought in the obedience classes by MKA. some tricks are fairly easy to perform, perhaps you could search online as there are many resources to teach our dogs silly tricks :)

regards,
hunter

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 17, 2003, 9:28 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1322 views)
Shortcut

oh ya...hv to watvh out for the weight of the dogs too.

It'll be dfinitely more difficult for a mastiff compared to a dalmatian to do the trick Wink

As for me, I taught Tyson the same trick (he's bullmastiff)..can't expect much from him..just a few seconds.

What i did was get him interested in my fingers (play/rub a bit with scent of food) and gave a "signal"....he'll naturally try to jump at it..so, i just put it above his head where it's not high enough for him to jump but high enough so that he can lift his paws and try to get it. Later on..i used less food scent and relied more on hand/voice command.Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 17, 2003, 10:49 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1314 views)
Shortcut

doi_nk,

To train the paw up is the same way you train all the other OB commands.

1st, you use good motivator like food to manupulate/guide the dog into the position and reward and continue to do that in short sessions day after day. Soon enough Mr. doggie is gonna to realise that everytime he does that action he gets to eat the good stuff and he does more and more. There will be a time he comes to you and show you the action. This is the time to put a cue word to that action for the dog to relate word to that command. and once successful, the dogs will do that everytime you mention the word. Same for sit, down, stand, stay, come etc.

To your second question, whatever commands or language you use is not important. If I like I can train in French or Hindi or Cantonese as long as you associate that same word for the particular action. good luck.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

doi_nk
Novice

Sep 17, 2003, 11:09 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Paw up trick [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

yes ! that's the trick I'm looking for ... me and my mom actually sat for a while thinking what was the right command to name this trick !

I'll try this tonite. Thanks alot

just me, doink

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 17, 2003, 11:11 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1310 views)
Shortcut

hi,

btw wat dog breed are u planning to teach this trick? smaller dogs does the trick better.

my GR is so bad at balancing that often he looks very clumsy while trying so sit up straight :)) when he is about to fall his expression is very funny!

ps : better to do it on a grass to avoid injury

regards,
hunter

lulugurl
ALPHA

Sep 17, 2003, 11:28 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1307 views)
Shortcut

Helo Li Phing,

I've never seen a big dog being able to do that..next time must show me ar..Smile Jaz has been able to do that since she's very young..she now can sit in that position for 30 min begging for an appleTongue ( yes, we did timed her.ahhahaSly) So check which food does your dog loves most and uses it as your secret weapon against themSlySly
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 17, 2003, 11:32 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Paw up trick [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

wow! 30 minutes!!!! these small dogs are just so so amazing :))

my dog could only do it longest for 30 seconds, and when outside sometimes he won't even do :(

yes, food is most important :> must be doggyman then only can reach to 30 seconds.. beggin' strips ar... 10 seconds only :(

regards,
hunter

lulugurl
ALPHA

Sep 17, 2003, 11:44 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1301 views)
Shortcut

hahaha..

Hunter: ceh, give me beggin strip, cheap stuff, stay for a while enough d! TongueTongue
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 19, 2003, 7:39 AM

Post #10 of 10 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] Paw up trick [In reply to] Can't Post

wow..jaz can do 30 mintues of sit up?? amazing!!
i saw a shih tzu doing this begging 'act'...and it was so cute!! and all he was asking was just a hug!!!

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my