First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

serene_kwlim
K9 Maniac

Oct 1, 2003, 12:46 AM

Post #26 of 34 (1501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] help! hot spots/losing hair [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,

My GSD is facing hot spots problem now during her shedding period now!! she's also hv sensitive skin, i'm thinking of giving her coat/skin supplement oil.. but dunno which band in the market now is better for gsd! i wonder is u could giv me some idea. u can email me the brand name to

tq!

regards,Smile
Serene Lim
My furkids: Jamie & Max.

Jamie's WebSite
GSD Owner? Pls add in!

Jamie's Dogster
Max's Dogster

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 1, 2003, 1:49 AM

Post #27 of 34 (1499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [serene_kwlim] help! hot spots/losing hair [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Assuming that your GSD is just undergoing coat changes because of shedding (without any other issue) -there are a host of supplements which tb are good for the skin & coat ...

The usual skin & coat supplements will be things like ... Brewers Yeast, evening primrose oil, balanced omega 3 & 6, linoleic acid, sunflower oil, flaxseed oil, lecithin, kelp etc ...

I'm not really familiar with the ready mix skin & coat supplements ... so cannot comment ...

The only skin supplement we like & use is Keepers Mix and that is available from the forum or Riccaval ... we find this quite effective & helpful ... A dash of Brewers Yeast is also good.

Along with supplements ... we find reducing intake of wheat & soya (using rice & oats as alternatives), minimising intake of chemical preservatives, and adding fresh olive oil ... to be helpful.

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Oct 1, 2003, 1:51 AM)

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2003, 1:19 AM

Post #28 of 34 (1492 views)
Shortcut

hi there

yes i know you haven't seen billy..i just want to know what you think. Smile

"Flea allergy : Although I am not sure I understand the vet's reasoning that Billy cannot have flea allergy because Billy looks too good ... uh? ...

If you catch an allergy early enough - Billy will still look good neh - Even in the worse type of allergies the symptoms are progressive, and you don't progress from good looking dog to a fur-less dog in one short jump ... "

flea allergy: yeah, that's what i thought when the vet said that..mabye the allergy is in the early stage..
hmm..i don't think i've actually seen fleas on billy..ticks yes..but fleas..maybe not.. but i do notice that there're 'colonial' black spots on his back..are these tick eggs? i know baby ticks are tiny red spots that walk..

"he did a skin scrape from billy's ear (i find that weird...should be from billy's leg ain't it?) and found it's tick instead... and he insisted billy's prob is caused by fungal when i asked him to scrape from billy's legs ..."

sorry to make you confused about that statement..
first the vet examined billy's legs and said that it's fungal infection. then i told him i suspected flea allergy/mange/mites.. and asked if he could do a skin scrape. so the vet said ok and did a scraping from billy's ear, which is perfectly fine and clean. then after he looked through his microscope, he said it's ticks, not mite. he let me looked through the microscope and it's really ticks.
then i said could you do a scraping from his legs? (coz his ears are fine and his legs ain't) but he said no need, it's fungal infection.
then i also told him that billy has ticks..and he said tick/flea not much trouble to get rid of...so he gave billy a tick collar..

personally i don't like tick collars too..just doesn't sound good to me...am thinking of getting frontline and ditching the collar...is that advisable? i've used frontline on billy before and he's alright..

thanks for the websites..i'll check them out. and i'll also ask the vet what fungal infection he suspects. as for the shampoo..i'll also have to ask him again coz i don't remember the name...just that it starts with an "i". i've already stopped using malaseb coz i don't see any improvement after using it.

so where can i get neem oil? pharmacies?
am giving billy freshly cooked food now..also feeding him hair growth with biotin and zinc..also feeding garlic.. any other vitamins/minerals i missed out?

thank you once again! i really appreciate it. Smile
billy says thanks too...woof woof!!

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 2, 2003, 2:11 AM

Post #29 of 34 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] help! hot spots/losing hair [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Here are pixs of ticks ... http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/...bkimsey/caticks.html

"Black spots" on Billy's back??? ... Ticks lay their eggs in cracks & crevices and not on dogs ... but what are these black spots? Did the vet see them? Can these dots be removed with your finger? ...

Sorry I still don't understand ... why do you and vet need micsroscope to see ticks? ... Was the scraping taken from the inside of Billy's ears? ...

I would personally use FrontLine instead of tick collar.

Neem oil/solution may be found in pharmacies ... please get those without perfume or scents ... get pure or natural Neem oil/solution ... Follow instructions, and if pure Neem oil, you need to dilute.

Cannot say what vitamins may or may not be missing without full description of diet ... As for supplements ... until you are more familiar with individual nutrients - suggest you go for ready blended supplements that provide overall support.

Check this forum at http://shop.puppy.com.my/products.asp?id=50 for Keepers Mix (it's a good natural overall supplement for skin & coat).

Cheers Smile

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 3, 2003, 12:08 AM

Post #30 of 34 (1478 views)
Shortcut

hi Laugh

the black spots on billy...when i squash them blood comes out..
oh okie...ticks lay eggs in cracks and not on dog...now i know... the spots can be removed by hand...but the vet didn't see them..

okie...not that we need microscope to see ticks... just that the vet did a skin scrape as i've requested, but from billy's outer ear instead of from his legs.. so we saw ticks under the microscope.. i don't understand why he's scraping from billy's ears either....Crazy

and can i mix keepers mix with cod liver oil? coz keepers mix is already an overall supplement...

thank you!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 3, 2003, 2:02 AM

Post #31 of 34 (1473 views)
Shortcut

If there is blood, then black spots are parasites of some sort then ... Crazy

Yeaps ... cod liver oil with Keeper's Mix should be fine ...

Cheers Smile

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 3, 2003, 2:22 AM

Post #32 of 34 (1471 views)
Shortcut

oh yea i forgot to add in..

vet said he don't know what kind of fungal coz he didn't do a culture or something...Crazy and he said the anti-fungal tablet he gave is effective enough..
and the 'shampoo' is called imavoral...should spray on billy after bathing..

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 3, 2003, 2:39 AM

Post #33 of 34 (1469 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

You wrote: " ...'shampoo' is called imavoral ... should spray on billy after bathing ..."

Think "imavoral" is not a shampoo but an antifungal solution ...

Cheers Smile

kesuke
Doggyman

Oct 3, 2003, 11:50 PM

Post #34 of 34 (1464 views)
Shortcut

ya...that's why i put 'shampoo'.....Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my