Sep 11, 2002, 11:34 PM

Post #26 of 48 (964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Calling a beagle owners [In reply to] Can't Post

me too me too

im in IT line as well
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

TohCS
Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2002, 12:25 AM

Post #27 of 48 (958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kbs] Calling a beagle owners [In reply to] Can't Post

Belle loves to jump from chair to chair of about 4 feet apart. I am so worried that she might hurt herself.
Wander if anyone else beagle does that or is it common in all puppies of any breed ?

Oh by the way Boon just in case you decide on a beagle bear in mind that beagles loves to eat and will eat themselves to death so if you have a beagle you have to make sure there is no food lying around.

Once I went out and left a pack of doggie biscuit on the table and Belle eat it all! 1/2 a pack and almost eat up the paper bag as well!!!!
I did not give her dinner that night.

Once Belle eat up 1/2 a comb. I panic and call the vet and was told to monitor her for a few days. Luckily Belle was okay. That shows what I mean by Beagles eat anything yes anything from food to just anything that is not even food Unsure.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)

kbs
Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2002, 12:35 AM

Post #28 of 48 (957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TohCS] Calling a beagle owners [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ChengSee,

I totally agree with you on the eating part Laugh.. Same goes with snuffy.. There was one time I left her home alone for few hours, (I left a pack of keropok on the chair) and somehow I came back, she managed to tear open the package (big pack somemore), and everything finished inside.. And they seems to be able to eat and eat... and not feeling full.. And when we say she will do anything for food, it means ANYTHING..

Regards,
KBS

boon
Doggyman

Sep 12, 2002, 12:41 AM

Post #29 of 48 (955 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cheng See,

Thanz for sharing the info with me, i will surely keep my eye on it when the time come.

The same problem for my lab, she like to play with her basketball and two days back she accidentally swallowed a small peace of the plastics/rubber.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2002, 1:21 AM

Post #30 of 48 (952 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone,

As we know, beagles have superior sense of smell because their of their hunting instincts. My little Bodhi just sniffs, and sniffs, and sniffs at almost everything and everywhere. Sometimes, it confuses me as I'm not sure whether she wants to pee or she's just 'exploring' the territory. Even if she's familiar with that room, she'll sniff again when she goes in the next time. Will she outgrow this behaviour? Also, she likes to grab things which are hanging around...for example a towel hanging on the chair. Her eyesight is also so sharp that she can spot a mosquito resting on the wall, and charge at it....hoping to eat it of course (as they eat almost anything!). Do any of your beagles have the same behaviour?

TohCS
Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2002, 3:40 AM

Post #31 of 48 (943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] Calling a beagle owners [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yes they will go around sniffing all over the place daily like as thought they are reading the newspaper finding out what have transacted during their absence.

With their nose on the floor as they move around the entire place they remind me of a vacuum cleaner.
Each time I open the drawers Belle loves to stick her head inside to findout what is inside the drawer.

As for mosquito wow Bodhi have very good eye sight.
Have yet to see Belle doing that.

Wander what we can do to train our Beagle using their assets.
I learn that in Australia the use Beagles to sniff out food that has been illegally brought in by passengers in the airport.
Yeah FOOD yummy yummy says Belle.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
My fur kids....

boon
Doggyman

Sep 12, 2002, 4:55 PM

Post #32 of 48 (937 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

In New Zealand as well, their make use of Beagle and JRT to check on the baggage for illegal food and fruits.

My friend just back from NZ and share this trory with me.

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

TohCS
Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2002, 6:22 PM

Post #33 of 48 (931 views)
Shortcut

A sad thing I heard once is that some cancer research center uses Beagles for testing.
They inject cancer virus into the beagles and then try to cure them.
Thousands of beagles have died in this testing.
There is a website to post our protest to this.
I will check it out again and post it here.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
My fur kids....

kbs
Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2002, 6:36 PM

Post #34 of 48 (930 views)
Shortcut

Oh.. That is so cruel and inhuman Mad

How can they do such thing to a beagle or any dogs? This is worst than just killing them directly.. Oh, which country is that? If it is US or something, we can write to their humanity society and they have this SPCA cops just to arrest ppl involved in animal cruelty.

Regards,
KBS

TohCS
Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2002, 7:52 PM

Post #35 of 48 (926 views)
Shortcut

Here is the link.

www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/695214954

I think the petition dateline is over but you can still post.

Guess you will be taking your flight withing the next 24 hour.
Have a pleasent journey home.
I will not be at Padang Merbok this weekend . Will be out of town.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
My fur kids....

kbs
Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2002, 8:37 PM

Post #36 of 48 (919 views)
Shortcut

Hi ChengSee,

Yeah, will be leaving here tomorrow.. Can't wait to go back to snuffy.. miss her very much.. If only our airport allows dogs, she can goto the airport too to pick me up..

Regards,
KBS

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2002, 6:40 PM

Post #37 of 48 (908 views)
Shortcut

I just brought Bodhi for her 2nd vaccination. Poor girl, she was shaking. Maybe the examination table was too cold coz it's stainless steel. Vet says she's a bit underweight. At 9 weeks old, she weighs only 1.7kg. But Vet says she should be around 2.5 kg. I'm already feeding her 3 times a day (about 60grams each meal) I'm now feeding her with milk + eggwhite for her breakfast. According to vet, it'll give her more protein and therefore, will put on more weight. Apparently, beagles should be fed as much as possible within the first 8 months (which is the main growing period). After that, it's time to control the weight (to avoid obesity).

1. Any tips on the most nutritional diet for our growing beagles?

2. Are there any special diets for beagles or are all puppies the same?

TohCS
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2002, 5:03 PM

Post #38 of 48 (899 views)
Shortcut

Hi ,

Beagles normaly do not have problems with food. I fed Belle according to the proportion recommend as written behind the dog food bag.

I can't remember what was Belle wait at 2 months but she was okay according to the vet.
When I ask the vet if she is over weight (she was chubby) and he says not to worry as she needs to grow.

Which brand of dog food are you feeding Bodhi?

A good list of recommendation would be:-
(1) Royal Canin
(2) Science Diet
(3) Ekanuba

Should you need to switch brand of dog food do so gradualy. Mix the proportion first and slowly increase the new brand while you decrease the old.

Get those that is for puppy/canine growth.
Type of food applies to all puppies regardless of breed.

As for the shivering during the jab it is normal.
My vet prewarn me that Belle will be shivering once the medication of the jab goes into her system. So it is normal as the medication is the cause of the shiver.

I guess Bodhi is eating well or is she refusing food?

All the best.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
My fur kids....

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2002, 5:38 PM

Post #39 of 48 (896 views)
Shortcut

Hello. Yeah, Bodhi's eating well at the moment. I'm feeding her Eagle Pack puppy formula which was what her breeder had been giving her. Thanks for your list of recommended dog food. Frankly, I'm so confused (I'm sure most owners are) with the range of brands available. So, to be on the safe side, I'll stick to Eagle Pack for the time being since Bodhi's not complaining....yet. I wish she was a bit chubbier though...I think that's what puppies should look anyway. Bodhi doesn't really look underweight, just very lean. But since she's a puppy, I'll feed her all she can eat.

On another note, what would make suitable treats during training? I've read much about carrots, cheese, dried liver etc. etc. ....but how about raisins? Any problems with that? At the moment, I break up her dog kibbles into pieces and use it as treats, but it takes too much time and effort !!!

TohCS
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2002, 6:21 PM

Post #40 of 48 (890 views)
Shortcut

HI again,

Though I am no expert in food but I have heard using raisins as treat is not such a good idea as apparently grape should not be over fed to dogs as it might cause kidney problem (better check with your vet on this). Besides dried raisins have high sugar level and sugar is not good for them. However check with your vet to get a better advice. Currently I break up dog biscuits. I used IAMS puppy treat as it is easier to break.

As for dog food though it will be a good idea to stick to the breeders recommended food but you might want consider the contents of the food eg vitamins,necessary minerals ,etc. Perhaps you might want to cut the back portion of the food pack ie the portion that shows the contents of vitamins/mineral and show your vet to see if it is sufficient. The contents play a very important role in a puppies growth. Sorry I am not expert here but just my two cents worth. I am sure all brands of dog food have it's qualities but they do differ in certain areas.
I am no expert but I guess the vet will be able to share the best with you and your puppy.

All the best!

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
My fur kids....

kbs
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2002, 7:59 PM

Post #41 of 48 (884 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Snuffy has been very choosy about her food for the last two months.. Frown She refuse to eat her dry food at all (if only dry food is given) and she can tahan herself for as long as a few days.. She has always been very choosy and selective since puppy but this time it is the worst.
When she was 2 months - 6 months old, I've been feeding her eukanuba puppy, it was okay until about 6 months old when she refuses to eat, then it was changed to science but that only last for a month before she gets fussy again.. Then I changed to Eagle pack, she loves it in the beginning, but not for long another 4 months later.. she doesn't like it again.. :( I just recently changed to Inova for about two months, she eats it in the beginning but not very interested (only when she is very very hungry).. Now, it is still Inova, but I chopped raw baby carrots and baby potatoes in it.. She only eats her dry food with this mixtures.. But since I came back from US, it seems that she is fading of her interest with this food again..
(Occasionaly like once in a week, I will mix some can food/specially home cooked meat (for dog recipe) into her dry food and that one she loves it desperately) And I do give her garlic supplement & skin/coat supplements for dogs.
Any of you have the same problem with ur beagles?

Regards,
KBS

TohCS
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2002, 8:20 PM

Post #42 of 48 (882 views)
Shortcut

Hi KBS,

Well so far I do not have the problem with Belle. Hopefully she will keep up that way. Belle eats any food I give her. Maybe one day when she is older I might face the same problem but hopefully not.

However I face that problem with Kiddo and Coco.
I have tried to be firm (as advice by the vet) but after 2 days seeing them lost weight I am left with no choice but to give in. What I do is add the dry food with the wet can ones. Most dogs love the wet can dog food though it is highly recommended the dry ones are better for their nurtitional needs.
So what I did is mix the wet ones with the dry kibble and they eat it up in no time at all Sly. Slowly I decrease the wet food and give them dry. They eat the dry food for a few days and then the entire process have to be started again.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
My fur kids....

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2002, 8:32 PM

Post #43 of 48 (881 views)
Shortcut

Cheng See is so lucky coz Belle is not picky with food. Good for training too, because you can easily "induce" them with food. So far, Bodhi is ok, but do tend to hesitate with the food once in a while. When that happens, I'll just pour some warm water onto the kibbles (just enough to cover all the food) and make the aroma come out from the kibbles. Once the kibbles are soft in a few minutes, I'll give it back to Bodhi again....and the trick usually works....so far so good. But of course, if she starts to be picky, then I guess I'll have no choice but to change brands. I hope it won't happen though. From what I understand from the vet, sometimes, the weather can affect the dog's appetite. For example, it it's too hot (esp. in the afternoon), they may not eat as much and some even refuse to move. The trick apparently is to put an ice cube onto the water container. But it didn't work for Bodhi. She took a sniff at the ice cube and just walked away!!!

boon
Doggyman

Sep 17, 2002, 8:01 PM

Post #44 of 48 (872 views)
Shortcut

Hi KBS,

Wink Heheh, i can totally understand your feeling as my notti angel has the PRECISE same problem as you. Super chossy on the food and i end up mixing the canned food with rice and dry food for her. The percentage will be 10% canned food, 20 % rice, 70% Eukanuba dry food.

I give her the Eukanuba biscuit for large breed which contain zin, omega oil and something that prevent join problem for large breed.

TohCS
Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2002, 4:42 PM

Post #45 of 48 (860 views)
Shortcut

Check out the dancing beagles..Smile
homepage.mac.com/scav/beagledance/

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
My fur kids....

TohCS
Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2002, 12:32 AM

Post #46 of 48 (847 views)
Shortcut

Beagles are good in melting hearts.
What is it about your beagle that melts your heart?
Is it their floppy ears ? Their soft and appealing eyes or is it their expression?

Even when they are naughty they give you the look that will melt the anger .

Share with us about what you think that makes you fall in love with your beagle .

To me it is all the above!

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
My fur kids....

kbs
Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2002, 1:27 AM

Post #47 of 48 (844 views)
Shortcut

Hi ChengSee,

Yeah agree with you. Seems that everything snuffy do will melt my heart.. Smile

Whenever I am sad or depress , all I need to do is to look at snuffy.. all my unhappiness will just go away, serious. And no matter how naughty she is, she seems to know that whenever she has done something wrong and she will immediately lie on the floor like a carpet and look at you with this pathetic face whenever I called her name. (At that time, I just don't have the heart to punish her anymore). They just know to do the right thing at the right moment to melt our heart. Even at times if she accidently hurt me while we are snatching her toy, she will immediately come and lick my face all over.

And she loves to lie and sit on me whenever I am watching TV or reading books on my bed. Typing all this already made me missing her so much already. Can't wait to go back to see her after work later.

I love the way she eats, sleeps, plays and every single move she does.. Beagles are just so adorable..

Regards,

KBS

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2002, 4:39 PM

Post #48 of 48 (834 views)
Shortcut

I couldn't agree more. I can relate so much to the part about them lying like a carpet because Bodhi does it all the time. Also, I like the way Bodhi looks at us from the corner of her eyes while lying down, without moving her head. This happens especially when she's too busy chewing on her toy or when she's resting.

(This post was edited by snoopydog on Sep 26, 2002, 4:45 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my