IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
having trouble swallowing

lisachew

Sep 10, 2002, 5:45 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1238 views)
Shortcut
having trouble swallowing Can't Post

i noticed that today Teddy is having problem swallowing. He used to swallowed his meal like Im gonna take away his meal everytime. But today, he seems to be muching one biscuit at a time to small pieces and play around with it. He loves bread very much and will tend to swallow. But today, with the normal pieces that I tear for him, he cannot manage to swallow at all.

This is weird and frightening. Maybe yesterday night he actually swallowed something sharp and got stuck some where?? I tried looking into his mouth but cant see anything as he is moving...or mayb its really deep inside his throat??

Anyone encountered the same thing before? I will be bringing him to the vet to hv a look. See what i can get from there.

Please advice. I am worried sick right now.
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2002, 9:54 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lisachew] having trouble swallowing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Lisa, understand the worry but the best thing to do is let the vet have a look. This does happens to my dog once but his case was because he's bored witht he same food. Having changed the brand, he's now gobbling down his food like crazy. I usually leave him alone to have his food coz I don't want him to get choke. Sometime I just stand a distance in front of him just to let him know that I'm there while he eats. Otherwise, he'll gobble up the food quickly to begin playing. Like human, it's better to let them chew before swallowing. Oso I try not to rub or touch him too much while he's eating. just letting him enjoy his meal Wink. Do let the vet look-see

TohCS
Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2002, 10:25 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lisa,

I once have the problem with one of my mongrel Kiddo. For Kiddo's case it was due to changing of teeth when she was about 5-6 months old.
How old is your doggie?
Anyway as Jason says do let the vet take a look and keep us posted on the status .

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lisachew

Sep 10, 2002, 10:29 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TohCS] having trouble swallowing [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, he is going to be one year old next month so i dun think its the teething problem.

yeah will bring him to the vet, but bf told me to monitor first before sending him there. Then this will be a day delay.

sigh....will see la
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

boon
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2002, 11:28 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1218 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lisa,

I totally understand your worry and fear, as my Bonney (yellow lab) she is now coming to 4 months old, last week she swallowed something ( sorry to tell that i not sure what is that) but after few days, she is OK now, but my worry come again, as yesterday night, when i let her out in the living room running around and playing his toy (basketball) she accidentally swallowed a small portion of the plastics from the broken ball. Not sure whether the missing part of the basketball will come out when she poo poo this coming evening or day after. I had call the vet, and has been advice that if she still has appetite, then is OK, if not will need to bring her for examination.

Will keep you all posted on the updates.

By the way, Cheng See, how can I change the unwanted and worrying behaviour from my nauthy Bonney.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my