Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
problem grooming my poodle

nitchsujim
New User

Sep 10, 2003, 8:43 PM

Post #1 of 13 (2957 views)
Shortcut
problem grooming my poodle Can't Post

i really need help wit grooming my poodle..
i don't really know the hairstyles a poodle has
and i have a problem with cleaning her ears..
if anyone can help me with this pronblem please help..thx,..michWink

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2003, 9:17 PM

Post #2 of 13 (2953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nitchsujim] problem grooming my poodle [In reply to] Can't Post

hello Smile
will suggest you take your poodle to a professional groomer coz there are lots of styles to cut a poodle and it's not easy...but you must brush her coat everyday to avoid the coat matting up or else it'd cost more for you if you want to demat her...Shocked
as for her ears...maybe you need another person to hold your dog while you clean her ears or try giving her treats after you have succeeded in cleaning her ears...she will know that she'd be getting treats if she lets you do her ears..Tongue
also let us know where you are from so that other members can recommend grooming service that's available in your area....Wink

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

sweeeng
ALPHA

Sep 12, 2003, 5:55 PM

Post #3 of 13 (2937 views)
Shortcut

Usually they'll shave the poodle's hair ...especially the face area but I do not advise u to do it yourself... jes incase we accidently kena something...

regards,
sweeeng

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Sep 13, 2003, 6:46 AM

Post #4 of 13 (2927 views)
Shortcut

hi nitchsujim,

poodle's is actually quite complicated not like shih tzu whereby one can groom it easily..get a groomer to do it for u rather than u tried it on your own without any experience.as for cleaning with ears..u need someone to hold the dog and try to do it slowly with cotton and ear cleaner.if u need any help dont hesitate to ask. i could help if i canWink
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

chansaire
Dog Kichi

Sep 18, 2003, 7:48 AM

Post #5 of 13 (2912 views)
Shortcut

hi! :)
i have a min. poodle too..., and there was this one time when i tried giving her the "poodle cut look", the one with cotton balls on her legs, & tail, and a bare backside.
however, in less than a month, the fur started growing back (Duh) and it made her look kinda ugly because its like... 'neither here nor there' kinda look. unless u know how to use the shaver on ure dog, perhaps u could try to shave off the excess fur ureself??

yea my poodles' ears are so dirty they require daily cleaning. try buying those solutions where you can drop into their ears and wash them. be sure they're the gentle types that can be used for daily use tho.

good luck !~

anna_kys

Sep 23, 2003, 9:39 PM

Post #6 of 13 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I have a min. poodle too and I send her to the groomer every 6 weeks or so. I always have the lamb cut as it is easier to take care. Then, you can brush the poodle thorughly once a day or every other day.

My poodle used to have lots of ear wax too due to some micro organism in her ears (not mites or bacteria thou), brown icky stuff always linger in her ears and they smell kinda bad too. When I took her to the vet, the vet told me to use the ear cleaner (the one with alcohol so that it will dry the ear canal) on daily basis and keep the ear dry at all time. After about a week, the ears are all clear from icky stuff and smell now. Now, I will still use the ear cleaner at least once a week after bath to keep her eyes dry. The groomer will also pluck out the excess hair from the poodle's ears to keep the airway free.

bubbles_fhm
Novice

Dec 12, 2003, 7:40 PM

Post #7 of 13 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Can I sugest a book called, 'The complete poodle clipping and grooming book' by Shirlee Kalstone. ISBN 0-87605-267-7. This is great for all poodle owners and groomers. Look for the new book as it's been up dated.

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 12, 2003, 10:22 PM

Post #8 of 13 (2818 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Nitchsujim

Glad to meet another poodle lover here!

I groom my toy poodle, Cherry using a clipper at least once a month. I'm not a professional groomer but it is just my own interest to groom the dog by myself.

I would advise you to send her/him to the professional groomer at least once so you could catch up the grooming technic/skill before attempting to try on your doggieBlush. Good luck!

BTW, how old is your dog? Mini or toy? What colour? Do you have a picture of her/him to share with us?

Click here to join Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

My three furkids ^_^ Gigi, Cherry & Belle ^_^

ladee_m
Doggyman

Dec 14, 2003, 12:38 AM

Post #9 of 13 (2812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melissa] problem grooming my poodle [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Melissa Smile

I see the poodle thing is getting bigger... the fever is on huh?....

BTW...can you check on the clipper brand you bought pls... I have a book that introduces various clipper for poodles and there are those used by the pro and some for ppl like us not so heavy duty...

Hi all,

Grooming my Ladee has been like a rollercoaster ride...there are the ups and downs... there were times that she hated it and now thank God she is better... I once brought her to a groomer but she was so afraid of the ppl so I thought I had better DIY... it really helps to get her in the mood when I let her play with the comb before I start the grooming... as for the ear... I'll tickle her ear first, sort of like massage then she'll allow me to clean it for her... overall I comb her daily twice and clean her ear daily... clip/ trim her hair about every 3 weeks or so...otherwise it gets out of shape...

There are many sites on-line you can surf to see the various poodle clips... and some do have pics to show how it is done... but do read and follow with discreesion and not believe 100% coz some might be not so appropriate... can also go to bookstores to check out books on poodle... that is what i do most of the time...Smile

I enjoy the grooming session with Ladee coz its like a bonding session we get... she'll be very good and listens to what I say and blable as I comb her...Wink

Maybe we girls should get together to clipp our poodles hairLaugh... imagine the caos that will take placeLaugh...

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 15, 2003, 5:44 PM

Post #10 of 13 (2807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] problem grooming my poodle [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya..Crazy All these should stop immediately...

The clipper that I bought is a old model which I don't encourage you to buy Crazy. Maybe I need to buy another one which more suitable to clip poodle's coat. Is there anyone could suggest a brand that we can use?

Your suggestion is good i.e. read a lot to learn more. If all of us could forget, forgive and learn to appreciate, then we can share and benefit a lot and this is the whole idea of joining puppy.com ...

Last month, Cherry has matted coat and I have to shorten her coat . The matted coat I guess was due to itchy and dry skin. I start feeding her Nupro one week ago and I see there is a little bit of improvement on both her appetite and skin. You may like to try Tongue.

I also use human conditioner as suggested by bubbles_fhm to bathe her yesterday, seems like her coat is a little bit better and smell good too Blush!

ladee_m
Doggyman

Dec 15, 2003, 9:03 PM

Post #11 of 13 (2804 views)
Shortcut

Hi MelissaSmile,

As I told you, there is a book that I saw... and it introduces several types of clipper specially for poodles... after making some checks around... I have narrowed down 2 brands that seems to be the best now... they are the OSTER and the ANDIS... however both brands carry many models and each model has different feature... somewhere in the book it did mention that the Oster brand has a model design for at-home pet grooming...its called the LUCKY DOG CLIPPER where as the Andis were not mention...

Thanks for the tip bout the supplement ... I'll check it out...

As for the conditioner... I am using Bio-G***m for now as it is the best compared to many I have tried... Ladee's coat mat less and it is easier to comb and brush her... and like you say smells good... that is the wonders of the conditioner...Wink

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 15, 2003, 9:58 PM

Post #12 of 13 (2803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] problem grooming my poodle [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info! If my clipper out of order one day, I will definitely look for the clipper that you have introducedBlush.

By the way, do you know where could we get these clippers in town?

ladee_m
Doggyman

Dec 15, 2003, 11:09 PM

Post #13 of 13 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Hi MelissaSmile

Tim knows where but I am not too sure the name of the place...Ill let you know later

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my