Poodle owners

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bubbles_fhm
Novice

Sep 10, 2003, 11:28 AM

Post #1 of 30 (4761 views)
Shortcut
Poodle owners Can't Post

Hi, Are there any poodle owners on this site. Would love to talk about the breed and grooming.

Keith.

ccsy98
Dog Kichi

Oct 1, 2003, 5:53 AM

Post #2 of 30 (4748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bubbles_fhm] Poodle owners [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Keith

I am Cindy, I have a toy poodle and a min. schnauzer...I saw from your profile that you are a professional groomer. Well, love to learn some grooming tips from you...

Oh, welcome to the forum =)

Cindy

lovedoggies
ALPHA

Oct 11, 2003, 5:13 AM

Post #3 of 30 (4741 views)
Shortcut

heya !

i got a poodle too Wink

a

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My pets~
http://www.geocities.com/cherrryspets/petz.htm

In Loving Memories,
Rex(10May08) & Benji(20Feb08)
http://cherryonacherrytree.multiply.com/photos/album/42/Pets

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

anna_kys

Oct 13, 2003, 9:20 PM

Post #4 of 30 (4737 views)
Shortcut

I have a 9 months old poodle too. I only brush her daily and bathe her weekly. I send her to the groomer for everything else like once evey 7 to 8 weeks.

Wonder why poodles are not so popular here.

ymon
Novice

Dec 3, 2003, 6:57 AM

Post #5 of 30 (4720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anna_kys] Poodle owners [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I have a toy poodle going to be 6 months old. I think most people mistaken poodles are under the Toy Group (myself too until just now)Blush. So, you may find some posts under the Toy Group. I am new to poodle and my dog coat looked "ugly", the vet said she is changing the baby coat?! BTW, have you join the "poodles gang"?

ymon
Novice

Dec 3, 2003, 7:43 AM

Post #6 of 30 (4719 views)
Shortcut

Hi Keith,

I just realised that poodles are under the utility group instead of the toy group.Blush There are some posts under the toy group and "me and the dog" section about this breed and grooming. BTW, we bought a toy poodle about two months ago. She is going to be 6 months next week. Her hair looked "ugly", the vet said she is changing the baby coat. Her hair half look short and curly another half look puffly. I comb her twice a day using two diff types of comb. Trim her facial hair weekly. And still have a lot to learn.....hope you can give some advise.

BTW, have you join the "poodle gang"? the post is at Toy Group.

bubbles_fhm
Novice

Dec 10, 2003, 2:09 AM

Post #7 of 30 (4712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ymon] Poodle owners [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah your dog will be going through a coat change around this age. Washe and blow dry the dog every week and use a conditioner for the new coat. This will make the brushig easier. I use human conditioner for this and it works really well. People say you shouldn't use these on dogs, but poodles have a different make up and are more on the pH scale as us as to dogs.
You could buy a slicker brush which protects the coat. I use #1 All systems and find this the best, although I have just seen a slicker by Charles Christinson (?) that would work very well. Don't waste money on any thing else or you may damage the coat. The others are too hard!
Keep brushing and it won't be long until it has stopped matting.

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 10, 2003, 10:47 PM

Post #8 of 30 (4706 views)
Shortcut

Hi, everyone

I own a toy poodle as well and her name is Cherry! Glad to meet you all and love to discuss about this breed!

My poodle has matted coat problem and I notice that she has some skin dropping off when I brush her. Can you recommend a suitable shampoo or conditional for her?

Currently I'm feeding her with Nupro (a kind of suppliment) and hope that her skin condition will improve soon. Crazy

Click here to join Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

My three furkids ^_^ Gigi, Cherry & Belle ^_^

bubbles_fhm
Novice

Dec 11, 2003, 12:20 AM

Post #9 of 30 (4704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melissa] Poodle owners [In reply to] Can't Post

If your dog has dry skin, firstly get it checked by a vet! It could be a bateria problem. If its not a major problem then try adding a table spoon of veg oil to her food. This can sometimes do the trick. Always bath your dog every week and brush/blow dry. There are dry skin shampoos out there that work well, but always stay with the major brands. Hope this helps.

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 11, 2003, 12:42 AM

Post #10 of 30 (4703 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Keith

Thx for the advice. My vet said she's ok but I'm still worry about her condition.

What kind of veg oil would you like to recommend?

I bathe my dog every week and brush/blow dry. You have mentioned that we can bathe our doggie with human conditioner, is there any particular brand?Unsure What's the dry skin shampoo that you would like to recommend?

Hope to hear from you, thx a lot!

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 11, 2003, 12:47 AM

Post #11 of 30 (4701 views)
Shortcut

Hey, Maggie

I get my new avatar uploaded! You may see Cherry's coat (I mean the ears Tongue) already longer compare with the old one Smile. On her left is my English Cocker spaniel, Gigi!

Hope to see your little furkid's photo being uploaded soon!

Take care!

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 11, 2003, 1:01 AM

Post #12 of 30 (4700 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Keith, Cindy, Maggie, Cheryl and everyone that loves poodle!

Glad to know all you here and love to share with you all on your lovely furkid!

I have a toy poodle in Apricot colour, she is now 1 year 8 months Blush.

I just take a photo of her this morning and would like to share with you all Blush.

Attachments: cherry-ppp.JPG (79.5 KB)

bubbles_fhm
Novice

Dec 11, 2003, 4:11 AM

Post #13 of 30 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Pantene 'smooth and sleek' is great on poodles and smells nice as wellBlush
As for the oil, any brand. It's just to see if it will make a difference. No need to try the dry skin shampoo just yet as the oil may do the trick. Oh, your dog looks great, such a cheeky faceAngelic Didn't know that we could do that will take some of mine tomorrow as its bath dayFrown and they will be nice and cleanUnsure

(This post was edited by bubbles_fhm on Dec 11, 2003, 4:30 AM)

ladee_m
Doggyman

Dec 11, 2003, 4:39 AM

Post #14 of 30 (4692 views)
Shortcut

Hi everybodySmile

So glad to have found another poodle thread... As some of you know I have a miniature poodle name Ladee...colour: brown... age: almost 9 months... gender: female...

always great to meet poodles owner as we can share our experience...

Keith... I see that you have 2 poodles...1 standard and another miniature.... is the one on your avatar miniature or standard?...are they both white?

There are not many ppl who knows that poodles do shed to change their coat...puppy coat to the adult... I have just found out myself not too long ago...I was wondering before that how on earth will they develop the adult coat if they do not shedCrazy...

great to have meet you guys....

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

ladee_m
Doggyman

Dec 11, 2003, 5:01 AM

Post #15 of 30 (4690 views)
Shortcut

hi melissa,

I've just checked, poodles are suppose to be in the utility group. My mistake. Very sorry to have confused you guys!

cheers!

bubbles_fhm
Novice

Dec 11, 2003, 8:50 AM

Post #16 of 30 (4685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] Poodle owners [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
The pic is of my standard while as a puppy and I have a black mini poodle. I have had poodles for 10 years and have never heard of a poodle sheading while in coat change. I think this is incorrect but if you have proof, i would love to read it. The coat develops the guard hair which are thicker and wirery. This gives the dog it profuse look. The coat will break with brushing incorrectly or useing the wrong type of tools for the job. Also the poodle coat is made up of two strand types and the old puppy coat still remains, just gets a little thicker as they go through 1 year of age.

ladee_m
Doggyman

Dec 11, 2003, 10:09 AM

Post #17 of 30 (4683 views)
Shortcut

Hi KeithSmile,

The coat sheading notion I got from a book on poodles coat and grooming I found in a book store... It mention that the coat changes from 10th month to 14th month of the puppy's life... so I assume that it will shead... I am new in keeping poodles and do not declare that I am an expert so any correction is welcomeWink... all I wanna do is to learn about the coat cycle to help me care for Ladee better coz at this stage it is crucial that I keep the coat as healthy as I can to ensure that she has good adult coat rite?... looks like you do have many years of experience so I guess I gotta call you a sifu... you mean that the poodles keep their puppy coat but only grow the guard hair?... can you explain more on that...

Btw, how old are your poodles, the standard and the mini?

you did mention that you are a pro-groomer rite...

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 11, 2003, 5:47 PM

Post #18 of 30 (4680 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Keith

I will try the shampoo this weekend Tongue : nice and clean and smells nice too Cool.

I'm new to this breed as well although Cherry is already close to 2 years old. But on and off, she's still have matted coat and dry skin problem. She likes to lick her paws and coat. I was told this might due to hot spot problem Unsure.

Thanks for your compliment Blush. But as you can see from the picture, my cherry has watery eyes, is it normal?

BTW, do you have any tips to improve Cherry's appetite? I believe she's a fussy eater Pirate. She has been constantly feed with deworm pill and heartworm guard too. She is definitely underweight and skinny too.

By the way, your poodle looks so great Smile. Can I have a look of your mini as well? Do you have her photos?

bubbles_fhm
Novice

Dec 11, 2003, 8:02 PM

Post #19 of 30 (4677 views)
Shortcut

Hi,
Yaeh poodle can suffer from bad eyes. Best to clean the corner of the eye with warm water on a towl. Gently rub the corner as the tear duct could be blocked. Do this for five mins every day and maybe the problem will go away.
As for the food, can be a problem. Try giving less food and more sittings. Or try and feed while training. Poodles love this!
Attachments: coola web.jpg (177 KB)

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 11, 2003, 9:25 PM

Post #20 of 30 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Hi Keith

Again, thx for the advice Blush. You are the master of the poodle gang now and we are glad to have you to join us as we can learn more from you!

Your mini poodle is cool Cool!

ymon
Novice

Dec 11, 2003, 10:34 PM

Post #21 of 30 (4668 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Mellisa,

Thank you very much for the pictures for Angel. But I still couldn't upload it, just don't understand why even used the one that you already cropped to smallest. Frown I will go and get the SHINE for eye discharges tomorrow. And will try on what Keith suggested veg oil and shampoo. BTW, my Angel is also a fussy eater. The other night, after she did something wrong, my hubby scolded her, she just went in her crate and "skip" her meal for whole night.Crazy Not only fussy but also depends on "mood". Unsure

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 11, 2003, 10:42 PM

Post #22 of 30 (4667 views)
Shortcut

Hi Maggie

I also faced the same problem. Yesterday I have uploaded a new avatar and it was appeared nicely yesterday but today it has disappeared and the old avatar is coming back Crazy.

Getting upset as I couldn't get the newest picture to be uploaded. Seekiiiiiiing help lah.

The SHINY was recommended by my vet. I have tried this for both my Cherry and the Belle's pup (labrador pup) and it works for them. Hope Shiny could help your little angel Blush

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 11, 2003, 10:45 PM

Post #23 of 30 (4666 views)
Shortcut

Just wonder if you have asked for help rgd the Avatar problem? I have posted it in the Annoucement forum and waiting for someone to help Frown.

Are you going to the KK x'mas party?

melissa
ALPHA

Dec 11, 2003, 11:53 PM

Post #24 of 30 (4665 views)
Shortcut

Hey Maggie

Managed to solve the Avatar problem and now you could see Cherry's most recent photo!

Hope to see your little Angel's Avatar soon!

ladee_m
Doggyman

Dec 12, 2003, 5:52 AM

Post #25 of 30 (4662 views)
Shortcut

Hi Smile

Now can see your beautiful Cherry... She looks stunning...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my