First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2003, 3:08 AM

Post #1 of 63 (7246 views)
Shortcut
dog doesn't want to walk!! Can't Post

i'll get straight to the point here...

problem: whenever i take my billy out for walks, he either wants to go his way or just sit down and refuse to move if i want him to go my way..and i have to drag him all the way..Unsure

questions:
1. is it becoz he doesn't like to be leashed?
2. my friend suggested that maybe my dog thinks he's the alpha dog so i have to follow his wish instead of the other way round..CrazyCrazy is that so??

any advice/suggestions are welcome and appreciated..Smile

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 4:45 AM

Post #2 of 63 (7239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] dog doesn't want to walk!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

question 1 : have u taken him out for walks before? if so, how many times?

question 2 : how long has he been introduced to leash? not too long ago, i presume???

erm, i don't think it's due to the alpha issue. but i doubt it's because he doesn't like to be leashed either, because u mentioned he walk to other directions instead (normally dogs that are not used to leash will stand still and not move )... perhaps he don't get the idea that he is supposed to follow your lead and thought he'd just go wherever he like.

for me i'll jerk the leash hard once (take note, a quick pull, and then release) and walk. if he still goes to the other direction, i would quickly turn to the other direction and give a quick jerk another time. soon, he'll get the idea that it's not his way to go wherever he want to and will follow by your side (this is heel work).

you do not drag your dog all the way, because this might choke him all the way and will give him leash phobia next time :o

regards,
hunter

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 9:45 AM

Post #3 of 63 (7233 views)
Shortcut

hmmm....my dog refused to walk because of barks...she would sit and refuse to move...an uncle gave me some pointers...
1)always walk her/him on your right side(or grassy path) to avoid being hit by inconsiderate drivers

2)whack her with the thick part of the leash, that will keep her moving(well,that could be useful for a stubborn dog but not a scared dog)..

3)make sure you're in command and not your dog...make sure he/she follows your pace...

4)as for beginners/frighten dogs, make sure your leg touches your dogs body...move in a slow pace..lightly pull the leash when she/he got distracted..

5)last trick...bring along treats!!!!

do walk your dog frequently so that he/she will get use of the environment...

hope you find it useful

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2003, 8:40 PM

Post #4 of 63 (7222 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

If he doesn't wanna be leashed, he wouldn't move with the leash on..therefore..you wouldn't hv the problem of him going the opposite direction as you Tongue

So i doubt it's got something to do with his fondness of leashes. Unless of course..he's had a bad experience with them.

Have u brought ur dog on a walk without a leash before? How does she behave?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

sun-arrow

Sep 10, 2003, 9:20 PM

Post #5 of 63 (7218 views)
Shortcut

... I know there are few people who don't agreed with choker training, but that's what my trainer used.. But my thinking is short term discipline/training, brings lifelong obedience and enjoyment.

I am in this class with an adult GR, adult husky, beagle, and other dogs. After 5 lessons (or 5 weeks), they all walked closely beside the owners without pulling or dragging and will automatically sit when the owners stopped walking.

If you want, I can scan for you the heeling lessons.

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2003, 9:44 PM

Post #6 of 63 (7214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] dog doesn't want to walk!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Smile
in answer to your questions:
1. i have taken my dog out for walks...i tried many times but he ALWAYS do that...it's making me so frustrated Mad
2. i bought him when he was 1..has been with me for 1 year plus now...tried taking him for walks on leash a few days after he's here

yeah...i think he doesn't know that he should be following my lead..but he's not a fast walker either...i mean, some dogs would get so excited to be able to go for walks that they practically drag their owners out the door right? but not mine...he'd go here and there and sniff around but when you turn him to the direction you wanna go, he'd resist and then sit down and refuse to move. Crazy

hmm...maybe i should try your jerking thingy...i'm not using a choke chain so no worries about choking him...Tongue

oh and 1 more thing i left out...it doesn't only happen when i'm taking him for walks...it happens also when i take him to the vet...first he doesn't want to come out of the car, then he doesn't want to walk (maybe new surroundings or just a bit scared), then after everything's done he doesn't want to come out from the clinic....i have no idea why he's behaving like that...but he's completely normal when he's home .... CrazyCrazy

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2003, 9:45 PM

Post #7 of 63 (7214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] dog doesn't want to walk!! [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you for your pointers but ain't we supppose to train our dogs to walk by our left side?
and my dog is one stubborn dog...not sure whacking him would work... Crazy
but thank you anyway...your feedback is appreciated! Wink

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2003, 9:48 PM

Post #8 of 63 (7213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] dog doesn't want to walk!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hmm...i'm not sure if he's had any bad experience with the leash but i'm at my wit's end trying to make him walk! Unsure
and no i haven't walked him off-leash before coz he's not that obedient and will run off by his own..Unimpressed
sometimes when a cat passes by and coincidentally i open the gate, he'd shoot out the gate like a bullet.. he'd only come back after you've called him a dozen times..Crazy so i dare not walk him off-leash outside..

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2003, 9:52 PM

Post #9 of 63 (7213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sun-arrow] dog doesn't want to walk!! [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah..i understand...maybe choker training is the longest tried and tested training that's successful..
yeah...if it's not very mah huan, i would like to see the heeling lessons....thank you thank you!!Wink

sun-arrow

Sep 10, 2003, 10:53 PM

Post #10 of 63 (7205 views)
Shortcut

pls gimme your email add, so I can send to u Smile

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 10:56 PM

Post #11 of 63 (7205 views)
Shortcut

hi there

your dog is already 1 year old now, thus he should be corrected (else it'll be even harder to do so in future). the best solution i could think of is to enter for obedience classes by MKA, as they do teach us how to walk our dogs... uhh... decently :/

good thing your dog is not a fast walker (perhaps being one year old is also an issue here), my dog used to drag me around like a wild horse, but as he grows he began to slow down his pace and learn to control his excitement. you'll find that as golden grows they tend to behave calmer and gentler.

about the refusal of getting out from the car, walking during vet visits, it happens to my dog too (and i suppose many other dogs) as new environment and scents sometimes do get them all timid. my dog is 3 years old now, and even until now, i still have to drag him into the vet clinic every visit :|

only solution is to take him out to different environments (which is not easy for goldens in malaysia) and expose him to different sorts of situation.

the first time my dog went for dog show in the Mines exhibition centre last time, he refused to walk, shivered terribly, and had diarhea :( so, my point is, even a trained dog could refuse to walk at some environments. we need to coax them and calm them down so that they know it's okay to walk up ahead.

regards,
hunter

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 11, 2003, 12:03 AM

Post #12 of 63 (7200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke, Hunter] dog doesn't want to walk!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi … Smile

Mostly just following up from Hunter’s postings … I would agree with Hunter, I don’t think the issue of dominance is involved.

But … something does puzzle me … a Golden who doesn’t want to walk? … That’s a little odd because most Retrievers I know will walk until they (or their owners) drop Smile … So, check and make sure your dog is fine … paws/hips are not hurt or anything … ensure your dog has no injury or physical problem.

For normal walks – I suggest that you only need to teach 2 elements (a) the dog should not pull your arms off, and (b) to return to your side when called.

Maybe in your case & for your doggie ... start with Recall ...

BUT MOST IMPORTANT: You sound a little fed up too ... take a deep breath ... forget all previous frustrations, leave all anger behind ... don't carry that with you ...

Start from scratch as if you just got your dog today ... Smile... Remember the joy and happiness you felt when you first saw your dog ... and this is where you start ... start with clean page and your dog will appreciate & respond ... for sure.

RECALL: Teach your dog this all the time on & off leash.

Call your dog’s name, and every time dog responds … major praise & reward … Do this often, as long as there is praise & reward ... the dog won't mind ... Smile ... It will not take long for your dog to realise that life is starting anew and his/her name is good.

Cautions: NEVER call a dog to punish or scold. NEVER call a dog when you are angry at the dog. NEVER use your dog's name, to make your dog do something he/she does not like - like going to the vet. If you do this and you will undo all your previous training.

If you need to reprimand your dog, YOU GO TO THE DOG, do not call your dog to you. When you call a dog by its name – it is ALWAYS HAPPY HAPPY.

PULLING: There are many methods to train a dog not to pull.

(A) Halti method: Lets start with the easiest method. Get a Halti or Gentle Leader (“GL”) collar, slip it on and ... voila ... immediately you can control the pulling. That’s it … easy neh.

You can find Halti’s at the petshop in MidValley. These are collars do not choke, easy to put on … completely humane and effective. Unlike a normal collar or slip chain, the Halti and GL are designed to give you control of the dog’s whole head. Control the dog’s head and you immediately control its ability to pull.
With the gentlest of pressure, you can bring the dog under control. Doesn’t matter how big or strong your dog is – the dog cannot pull and win. So – just by using the collar your dog will eventually realise that he/she cannot pull and will settle down for the walk.

Cautions: Get the right size. Do not misuse the collar. Follow the instructions that come with collar carefully. Get your dog used to having a Halti or GL on (this can take a couple of walks).

(B) Training method: If you want to try a training method ... then another deep breath and ... commit yourself mentally and and willingly to the training of your dog ... be ready before starting training.

First: Use slip chain of correct size and standard leash of 6ft.

Second: Hold leash properly, with loop over thumb and grasp firmly.

If dog starts to act gila gila when you put leash & collar on … let dog be gila (say 5 to 10minutes) – let dog burn off some excess energy … this will make it easier when the formal lesson starts. Do this inside your compound. But once you walk out the gate – the training begins.

Third: Take dog out of compound … let dog have say 3feet of free play on the leash.

(a) When the dog starts to pull … stand firm and still – do not speak, do not move and DO NOT PULL THE LEASH. If you pull, your dog will only tug harder. Make like a tree – the dog will stop pulling. When making like tree - stay calm & silent.

(b) Stand still until the dog relaxes and stops pulling. Then without moving, use the leash to gently bring your dog back to your side. Settle dog by your side. When dog settles - praise & treat, then continue with walk.

(c) If the dog pulls again … repeat sequence … stand firm, let dog settle, bring dog to side, settle – praise & treat- move. Repeat and repeat as the need arises.

Do not confuse your dog with words yet. Verbal commands can come later. This exercise is just to teach the basic lesson of cause & effect - Cause: If dog pulls - Effect: The walk stops. Cause: If dog relaxes - Effect: The walk continues.

Remember - no punishment … no shouts or screams … just cause & effect. Your dog should learn pretty quickly.

When the lesson of cause & effect is learnt … then you can use this as foundation to teach verbal commands and proper heeling.

REFUSING TO WALK: Provided dog is healthy, refusing to walk is unusual for retrievers … So, such reaction may be owner induced. Please observe and find cause of this reluctance.

Examine your previous method of taking your dog for walks. Have you accidentally frightened the dog? Have you inadvertently made walking the dog a battle instead of fun?

If you have been jerking the leash or dragging the dog – then the dog’s reluctance to walk may be understandable … and YOU have to change your approach and start making walks fun. I suspect once you make walking fun – your dog will want to walk.

If your dog sits and refuses to walk … maybe you can try this:

Crouch/squat down … use a happy voice to call your dog over to you … praise & reward … rub the under chin … give a belly scratch … once the tail starts to wag (which should not be difficult for a Golden) … stand up and continue walk.

Be happy and your dog will be happy too … whenever you dog is walking well, call his name … praise the dog … chat with your dog as you walk … your dog is your friend and will respond.

Remember … walking the dog is supposed to be fun ... Smile

Cheers ...

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 11, 2003, 12:11 AM)

mackmack
Doggyman

Sep 11, 2003, 11:27 AM

Post #13 of 63 (7186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] dog doesn't want to walk!! [In reply to] Can't Post

If after all "these" and the dog still refuse to WALK, there must be something wrong with his paws/legs.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 11, 2003, 12:32 PM

Post #14 of 63 (7183 views)
Shortcut

hi,

have not tried using a halti before, but i sure have read before how effective and safe it is to use on a dog.

but i can't help thinking.. it's sort of looped around our dog's muzzle right..? so if we tug, does that mean shutting our dog's mouth and risking our dogs to bite their own tongue accidently??? u know, like some dogs, their tongue tend to slide off the mouth to one side... i was horrified with the thought that my dog's tongue will fall off on day one i use the halti :o

regards,
hunter

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 11, 2003, 7:46 PM

Post #15 of 63 (7180 views)
Shortcut

Hi ya,

*Errr* ... don't think that is likely to happen ... Tongue ... the Halti & Gentle Leader collars are quite well designed - will show you a Halti when we meet ... and you can check Smile ...

But I don't think you don't need one for Hunter neh ... am sure you have trained him well ...

Cheers

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 11, 2003, 8:22 PM

Post #16 of 63 (7176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] dog doesn't want to walk!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That thought still niggles me ... hard to imagine a retreiver not wanting & being excited about walks ... but I guess there are always exceptions ... Smile ...

So hard to tell ... without actually seeing the doggie ... always afraid of writing something wrong ... then ahoooh ... Unsure

Cheers

cdmoo
ALPHA

Sep 12, 2003, 3:54 AM

Post #17 of 63 (7167 views)
Shortcut

hi SK,

I'm not totally surprised that a GR doesn't like to walk..., I know & have seen some GRs refuse to walk .

Part of the concluded reasons are:

1. heat. this depends when u take ur dog for a walk. evening (5- 6p.m)? no.no. for them (those that I've met). Try to walk them at night, cooler..

2. new enviroment. as pointed out by hunter and others.

for (2), it's quite common.. and happen to my dog, Rex too.. so, what i would do is

1. talk to him nicely.. face-2-face...just convience him to walk.... whatever u want to talk Crazy

2. if (1) does not work, then off leash him, and I 'd just walk away.. and ultimately he would follow me.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 12, 2003, 7:37 AM

Post #18 of 63 (7162 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] dog doesn't want to walk!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Ah yes ... the heat ...
That's a very good point ... thanks

Cheers

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 12, 2003, 11:53 PM

Post #19 of 63 (7149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sun-arrow] dog doesn't want to walk!! [In reply to] Can't Post

this my add: moon_runes@yahoo.com

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2003, 1:53 AM

Post #20 of 63 (7143 views)
Shortcut

yeah..i realized that...that's why i'm seeking advice on how to walk him properly..
i would actually prefer my dog to be a fast walker..coz that's the fun of walking the dogs.. he is quite calm and gentle most of the time, except that he likes to bite my fingers and play rough with me..just cannot make him to stop biting my fingers..Crazy
oh really? i thought it's only my dog that's behaving that way when brought to the vet..feel relieved to hear that he's 'normal'...Tongue
yep now i see that they need lots of coaxing and praising to let them know it's ok to walk ahead..thank you! Smile

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2003, 1:55 AM

Post #21 of 63 (7142 views)
Shortcut

i am just as puzzled as you are..i've read in books that goldens love to walk and will "walk until they or their owners drop"..but that's not the case with my golden..he's must quieter..
i've checked his paws/hips..i don't think he has any injury or physical problem coz he's completely normal when in the compound...running here and there, jumping up and down...Tongue
i am doing the recall thingy now and he's been responding positively.. just that i'm not sure if he'd still come back to me if he pelted out the gate chasing cats...Crazy
and i have no problem with pulling coz he does not pull me. and i have also tried what you suggested..
"Crouch/squat down … use a happy voice to call your dog over to you … praise & reward … rub the under chin … give a belly scratch … once the tail starts to wag (which should not be difficult for a Golden) … stand up and continue walk."
it's not always successful coz sometimes he'd stand up and continue to walk but just a short distance then he'd stop again (for no apparant reason i can think of) and refuse to move.
i admit that i dragged him sometimes coz he won't even budge even when i squat down and talk to him in a happy voice..but i will keep trying.. hopefully i can take him out for longer walks next time..Smile
he's quite intelligent though can be really stubborn at times..like, he knows what is 'sit' but doesn't want to do so when told...doesn't sound like a golden huh? any ideas on this?

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2003, 1:57 AM

Post #22 of 63 (7142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] dog doesn't want to walk!! [In reply to] Can't Post

i don't take him out during noon..always in the evening when it's cooler so i don't think heat is a reason here..
a new environment might be it but it's just the area outside my house..not very far coz dare not take him too far in case he refuse to budge and i'd have a hard time trying to take him back..Unsure
do you take rex's leash off when he doesn't want to walk while you're outside your compound? i mean, won't he run away or something?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 13, 2003, 2:49 AM

Post #23 of 63 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Hello ... Smile

If Billy is running/jumping in compound then he sounds fine ... Smile

You write: " ...i am doing the recall thingy now and he's been responding positively.. just that i'm not sure if he'd still come back to me if he pelted out the gate chasing cats..."

Keep practising recall ... always practice that ... many many times a day from different places in the house and different distance ... always praise & treat when he comes to you (vary the treats even, so it's not boring) ... Do this for one week consistently without missing a day.

Then as recall becomes steady ... always praise but only treat sometimes and no treats at other times ... do not make it predictable ... But now - maybe 3 or 4 times a day give Billy a JACKPOT when he responds to call ... This is when you praise like crazy and give special treats - make it real good treat and lots of it ... Do this consistently for another week ...

Cooked cow's liver usually works very well (doggies love the smell) ... if you wanna learn how to prepare liver email me at surchinmy@yahoo.com

Then ... slowly reduce frequency of Jackpot ... but continue to make Jackpot part of your training for recall but maybe only once a day ...

The idea is to keep Billy guessing when there will be a treat ... and when there might be a Jackpot ... this will encourage Billy and keep his interest in recall ...

But also good idea to keep Billy on a leash when outside ... Unless a dog is correctly trained for off-leash work, it's really hard for most retrievers to resist a cat ... Smile ... Off-leash work requires different training - with different criteria ... we can speak of that another time ...

You write: "... it's not always successful coz sometimes he'd stand up and continue to walk but just a short distance then he'd stop again (for no apparant reason i can think of) and refuse to move ..."

Somehow I don't think Billy is frightened or put off by the environment ... but it's very hard to say without seeing Billy - are you coming to gathering on Sunday? ... Maybe I can see him then? ...

You write: "... i admit that i dragged him sometimes coz he won't even budge even when i squat down and talk to him in a happy voice..but i will keep trying.. hopefully i can take him out for longer walks next time ..."

Hopefully as you practice recall ... this situation will improve ... If Billy responds to recall, he will not need to be pulled or jerked ... And remember, recall during walk is exactly same as recall practice in house - praise & reward ... sometimes jackpot.

And maybe can try something else since you are only walking him outside your house ... instead of using a standard leash ... use a trailing leash (a long leash or 1/4 inch rope ... maybe 50ft long) ... and when Billy stops - don't jerk or pull on his collar ... just walk away ... trail the leash behind ... move away 20ft or 30ft away and then watch.

Observe what happens ... that might give us some idea as to what Billy has in mind when he sits and refuses to move ...

Not to worry ... am sure Billy is fine ... just need to find out what is on his mind ... :Smile ... then you will be able to better motivate him ... Smile

Good luck and let us know how it goes ... It will take time ... deep breaths and be patient ... Smile

Cheers

PS ... Am assuming Billy is treat motivated ... if not you have to find another method for giving reward.

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 13, 2003, 2:52 AM)

cdmoo
ALPHA

Sep 13, 2003, 7:31 AM

Post #24 of 63 (7128 views)
Shortcut

hi kesuke,

What time in evening, may i know? As stated in my post, I've met some GRs that refuse to walk around 4 - 6 p.m.., also. I forgot to mention... do u walk them on grass or tar road? Grass would be more comfortable for them.

Nowadays, Rex is off leash most of the time while walking now... he'll not wander off by himself.. but he'll not glue to me either.. We have our usual 15-min walk at 8++ P.M.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 13, 2003, 6:14 PM

Post #25 of 63 (7117 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,
My dog too didn't really fancy getting out of the house... first it was the leash... maybe what you can do is to get your dog use to wearing it.. so what we did was that we let Jaz wear her leash in the house.. so she was running about with it, but do not that you need someone to be around the house and watch over your dog if you put the leash on them, this is because if they might strangle themselves without you knowing it or they are stucked somewhere in the house due to the leash.

Try to get them out of the house a couple of times, and walk the same route or so for them to get use to the outside environment.... I am sure you'll be terrified too if you have never seen a car when you stay indoor, and suddenly you see all kinds of ppl and moving objects.. give it a couple of tries...

Now, when we pick up Jaz's leash... she will start running towards the door, as she knows she's about to go out 'kai kai' Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my