Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Is Labrador Suitable Trained as Guarddog?

wchoun
New User

Sep 8, 2003, 10:30 PM

Post #1 of 11 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Is Labrador Suitable Trained as Guarddog? Can't Post

I love Labrador very much. But, i wonder whether Labrador is suitable or easy to trained into guard dog (for example GSD) to protect family ? Any opinion ?
~~~~~ Tham ~~~~~

Trivor
K9 Servant

Sep 8, 2003, 10:50 PM

Post #2 of 11 (1786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wchoun] Is Labrador Suitable Trained as Guarddog? [In reply to] Can't Post

hello,
Lab is not born to guard dog, like Golden but to retrieve ...probably you'll need a GSD or Rott and keep Lab as a house pet heheeheee.. Tongue
Though Labs can bark at strangers, but more on excitement than warning... Tongue

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 9, 2003, 4:25 AM

Post #3 of 11 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Hello,Smile

Trivor's right.

The lab's instincts are not to guard. the aggresion has been actually bred out of them so that they do not bite the bird they retrieve(that's what they were originally bred for-retrieving) too hard.

They're bred to be friendly and it's their temperament.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 9, 2003, 5:09 AM

Post #4 of 11 (1782 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi,

No luck for uUnsure. I agree with Trivor, though they may be big and look fierce but they'll run towards staranger not to attack but to play. All my live i've only seen 1 Golden Retriver that guards the house and that too he's living with a GSD. Maybe he's just learning from him.

If u have a lab to guard ur house, not only will they enter ur house but they'll take ur lab along coz they r so friendly....even the robbers nowaday r educated n they know for sure labs r very-very friendlySmile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Sep 9, 2003, 9:42 AM

Post #5 of 11 (1780 views)
Shortcut

Hi !

A lab is actually a very friendly dog...all they do is bark at u to ask u to play with him/her more likely than to warn the owner of potential thief !

cheers,
minglmy

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 6:53 PM

Post #6 of 11 (1774 views)
Shortcut

Hello ... Smile

I think any dog that is loved and feels that it belongs in a family will by its own doggy instincts protect members of its family ... when a dog thinks its family is in danger, even toy dogs will protect ... Imagine a rampaging Chihuahua ... Wink

But training a Lab to be a guard dog? ... I think that too is possible ... but do you really want to? ...

As everyone else has posted ... a Lab has through generations and generations of careful and selective breeding been refined to have a specific temperament ... which does not including guarding tendencies.

Nothing makes me more happy and proud than watching my Lab living & behaving like a Lab ... tail always wagging ... always pleased to meet new people & children ... steady in any environment ... loves food ... loves belly rubs ... she is safe even with children ... and such eyes, they melt the hearts of all who meet her ...

That's Labrador magic!

But if I start training her to be a guard dog ... I work against her instincts, against all that I value so much in my Lab ... Difficult but maybe I can change her to a guard dog ...

And what if I succeed? - What will I lose? - What will my Lab lose? - Will my Lab be happy? - Will I force my Lab to be something she was never meant to be? - Will all my training destroy my Lab's spirit & soul? ... Will she lose the happiness and sunshine she now carries so instinctively everywhere she goes?

Will I put out the magic?

Cheers ...

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 9, 2003, 6:56 PM)

sweeeng
ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 9:49 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1767 views)
Shortcut

If you get a lab and wanna train it as a guarddog, you'll faint! My labs are friendly to almost any stranger and sometimes it's really scary, you know...

regards,
sweeeng

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Sep 10, 2003, 10:03 PM

Post #8 of 11 (1758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Is Labrador Suitable Trained as Guarddog? [In reply to] Can't Post

very deep n meaningful but good....very good explaination done !

cheers,
minglmy

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 11, 2003, 12:38 AM

Post #9 of 11 (1750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Is Labrador Suitable Trained as Guarddog? [In reply to] Can't Post

... thank you but its just Labrador magic ... Smile

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 14, 2003, 8:40 AM

Post #10 of 11 (1736 views)
Shortcut

hi

don't think it's a good idea to use lab as a guard dog coz just like what everyone else had said here, it's not in their genes to be aggressive and fierce. they are super friendly dogs and (some books write) "will immediately be friends with you if you give them a good scratch behind the ears". the same goes for goldens..
i think you might be better off going with GSDs, rotts, dobbermans...mostly the large working breed Wink

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

doberman
ALPHA

Sep 24, 2003, 1:07 AM

Post #11 of 11 (1719 views)
Shortcut

eh, is that ur chi?? so cute!! how much u bought it n where u get it?

Henry from Penang
dobermann@puppy.com.myWink

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my