IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
that Nodding Trick

sun-arrow

Sep 6, 2003, 9:57 PM

Post #1 of 18 (1376 views)
Shortcut
that Nodding Trick Can't Post

Anyone can share on how to teach the dog to nod his head on cue? I had been trying to teach sunny how to nod for 2mths, but still unsuccessful.

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Sep 8, 2003, 10:01 PM

Post #2 of 18 (1362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sun-arrow] that Nodding Trick [In reply to] Can't Post

haha this sounds very interesting. One of my dogs will nod his head naturally. May be is not what u want? Because he do it terbalik. He nods upwards.. " What do u want? " in our language.

Whenever he do that, we will response in the same way and he will then do it again. Just like " what do u want ".. " what? " " WHAT!? " bli bla bli bla... etc.
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

sun-arrow

Sep 9, 2003, 10:10 PM

Post #3 of 18 (1346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] that Nodding Trick [In reply to] Can't Post

Wah, so good that your dog does it naturally!! You can train him to respond to you, like "I am beautiful, don't you agree?" Then your doggie can nod his head Sly (or that's what i intended to do for funTongue)

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2003, 10:47 PM

Post #4 of 18 (1342 views)
Shortcut

my baobao can't nod like u said.....Frown
but if i said ''baobao, woof''!! then he'll also bark once... if we say "bao, woof woof" then he will bark twice..Wink

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Sep 10, 2003, 12:32 AM

Post #5 of 18 (1339 views)
Shortcut

I did read somewhere that we can train them say YES (nod up & down), and No (left & right) by using a good smell treat, eg cheese, moving in front of them, when their nose follow your treat you must nod your head together with them, ( i think is a " hand signal " for them ) and say out :" YEESSSS ... GOOD DOG , then give them the treat by your hand. Wave your head left & right and moving your hand left n right in front of them and say out : NOOOOO.. good dog... and give them treat.

* Dont stop your hand then only offer the treat, this will encourage them stop and get confuse..

may be you can try on this? i dont know will it work coz i not yet train them onto this yet ... I m on the way to HIDE command still..

sun-arrow

Sep 10, 2003, 1:42 AM

Post #6 of 18 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BaoBao] that Nodding Trick [In reply to] Can't Post

are u sure you have a dog, not a parrot? hehe j/k Sly

sun-arrow

Sep 10, 2003, 1:47 AM

Post #7 of 18 (1334 views)
Shortcut

I did try that >_< And noded my head until dizzy, while wondering did he see that because his eyes were on the treat. As for did I stop or not, i didn't know, I will try again. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Hide command? As in asking your dog to hide?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 4:37 AM

Post #8 of 18 (1331 views)
Shortcut

hmmm... but how to NOT stop our hand while offer the treat :/ meaning their head still moves with the movement of our hand while chomping on the treat :/???

it's really interesting trick though :)

regards,
hunter

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Sep 10, 2003, 5:36 PM

Post #9 of 18 (1322 views)
Shortcut

hey sun arrow,

u move the treat left n right wor? not only your head move..

did your puppy follow the treat left n right?

i dont know will it work or not coz i not yet try this..but i think normally for my case i will do this few times and then i will just give the hand signal and command and let them try themselve. normally when they are frustrated then they will try to learn..happy trainning!

hide.. is something like use one of their hand cover their eye.. very difficult for me.. hahaha.. coz first i blow air.. it doesnt work.. then i put tape on their head it works but then little while the tape fall off.. then later i try water.. now they know what i mean ..

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Sep 10, 2003, 5:44 PM

Post #10 of 18 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] that Nodding Trick [In reply to] Can't Post

oh i guess give them the treat when doing the moving? thats what they mention in the trainning guide.

wor bu zhi dao wor?!

sun-arrow

Sep 10, 2003, 9:31 PM

Post #11 of 18 (1313 views)
Shortcut

hi shyeow2!

I moved the treat up and down, and my puppy's head went up and down too. I think I got frustrated before the puppy does :P

Oooh, you mean that trick! I tried the tape version with sunny and after a few seconds, he forgot there's a tape on his nose and kept looking at my hand with the biscuit.... greedy fellow...

Your dogs do catch on fast!

Good luck in training to u!

sun-arrow

Sep 10, 2003, 9:35 PM

Post #12 of 18 (1312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] that Nodding Trick [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah! and it seem to get more interesting!

I read this in newsgroups last night

Yes, it is possible. Marc would nod his head to say yes and shake his head to say no. I started with small treats- Ask "you want a goodie?", and at the same time wave the treat up and down in front of his face. After a few reps he started nodding on his own.

This behavior carried over to other situations without any additional training on my part (or maybe he was training me....). Sometimes he would come to me wanting something, but I did not know what, so we played 20 questions- "want to go out?" "want dinner?" "want to play?" He would sit very still with his head down as I asked the questions. When I got to whatever it was he wanted, he would nod like crazy. Of course, he always got rewarded this way......
Ruth Mays

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 10:58 PM

Post #13 of 18 (1309 views)
Shortcut

wahahaha, bu zhi dao ar??? wo ye bu zhi dao la :(

when i try giving when my hand is moving though, still i have to stop for one or two second to let him get the treat... somemore, he'll learn to put his head forward and try to take the treat when i wave it in front of him..

so like, it's nodding like a turtle :|

regards,
hunter

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 10, 2003, 11:02 PM

Post #14 of 18 (1308 views)
Shortcut

hi,

hey, good idea. i think using questions as a cue for them to nod is better than us nodding with them and getting ourselves all dizzy :/ btw it's best to use signals that's not obvious to other ppl to impress them... (waaah... can answer questions.. genius dog!!!!)

haahah. i used to be so so amazed with those counting dogs (waahhhhh so good at maths!!!!!). now i realize it's all based on the cue given by their owners to bark.

regards,
hunter

lulugurl
ALPHA

Sep 11, 2003, 7:51 AM

Post #15 of 18 (1300 views)
Shortcut

Hey,

Good trick! that way, we can comuniacate with them..hahahaLaughTongue
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

sun-arrow

Sep 16, 2003, 12:01 AM

Post #16 of 18 (1275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] that Nodding Trick [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi lulugurl!

You are thinking the same thing as I did!

lulugurl
ALPHA

Sep 16, 2003, 6:55 AM

Post #17 of 18 (1269 views)
Shortcut

hahaha...all owners think alikeTongue
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

sun-arrow

Sep 16, 2003, 9:52 AM

Post #18 of 18 (1265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] that Nodding Trick [In reply to] Can't Post

oh yeah!! CoolCool

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my