Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Biting and bitter apple

dieselthepup
Novice

Sep 4, 2003, 9:19 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3360 views)
Shortcut
Biting and bitter apple Can't Post

We are having problems with our shepard/rotti who loves using our hands as chew toys. I have heard that using bitter apple might help. Does anyone have any experience with this, does it work? Is it cruel? Any input would help. Thanks

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 4, 2003, 9:38 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dieselthepup] Biting and bitter apple [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Bitterapple is intended to be sprayed on inanimate objects (such as furniture etc) to stop puppies from chewing the same. I don't think you are supposed to spray bitterapple on your hands or skin ...

Bitterapple may be of some use to help control a puppy that chews because it's teething ...

But it will not be useful if your pup has other possible or potential issues such as fear or dominance aggression ... And chances are (as described in your earlier postings) - your puppy may well have a more serious problem than teething.

Please the forum's response to your earlier postings.

Cheers

annkam100

Sep 4, 2003, 11:32 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Biting and bitter apple [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I bought the so called repellant but it was of no use. My puppy still bites my furniture. Frown

The only way I found effective is to divert his attention somewhere else. I will bring him his toys and when he bites at it I'll say "goodboy". "No" will be used if he bites on my furniture. At times when I'm not around he still bites the furniture but what can I do....have to bear with him for another 6months the least.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 5, 2003, 1:19 AM

Post #4 of 8 (3343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annkam100] Biting and bitter apple [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing about bitterapple is that it only works with some dogs and not others ...

Must agree with you ... the most effective long term solution to preventing excessive chewing is good training based on an understanding that a dog will always chew (that is its nature) ...

So we do not try to train a dog to stop chewing ... instead we train the dog to learn what he can chew and cannot chew ... and give the dogs plenty of alternative things to chew on ...

Cheers

kohzila

Sep 7, 2003, 8:14 AM

Post #5 of 8 (3325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Biting and bitter apple [In reply to] Can't Post

I strongly agreed to you that what we need to do is to train them thing he can chew and things he can't..

I've read in a book and I find its works....the author recommend that when the dog start chewing the furniture for example..try to throw an empty can filled with some small stone to scare them away..repeat the same and they will soon notice once they bite on this items, somethings bad is going to be happened and they will try to avoid it.. but remember to reward them if they do the rite thingWink

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 7, 2003, 10:07 AM

Post #6 of 8 (3322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kohzila] Biting and bitter apple [In reply to] Can't Post

... Smile ... Cannot say I am fond of the throw a can method of training ... Wink ...

It may work on some dogs ... but kinda dangerous to use on dogs of a slightly more timid nature ... it might just frighten & make them even more nervous ...

The praise & reward method might be safer ... Smile

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 7, 2003, 10:04 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kohzila] Biting and bitter apple [In reply to] Can't Post

Another thing with the throw method is that..some dogs might actually like the noise. If not, he's going to eventually get used to the noise..and it will not bother him at all.

So you might be in fact , giving the dog a treat for chewing up the furnitureCrazy
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

kohzila

Sep 8, 2003, 6:46 AM

Post #8 of 8 (3312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Biting and bitter apple [In reply to] Can't Post

I think your are rite..sometimes I do find it doesn't really help...I mean "throwing" method..I still stick to the rewarding system...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my