Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
plant eating dog

janice
Novice

Sep 4, 2003, 1:43 AM

Post #1 of 19 (4571 views)
Shortcut
plant eating dog Can't Post

UnsureHELP!!! My dog is diggging up my fathers precious potted plants. I know my dog Ginger's bored cos no one takes her out for activities during weekdays. I only take her out on weekends when I'm back.What to do?FrownFrown She's just about to drive my dad up the wall with her `salad fettish'!!!!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 4, 2003, 2:10 AM

Post #2 of 19 (4566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janice] plant eating dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

*Errr* ... Plants and doggies don't really get along ... Smile ... they are deadly enemies ... and dogs dig plants ... the plants just have to go ... Pirate

Seriously though ... you have already identified the issue ... Ginger is probably bored ...

And ... she likes to dig ... most dogs do ... especially terriers ... and hounds ... and gundogs ... dogs dig ... it's their therapy ... Laugh

Its really hard to train a dog not to dig without also providing alternative activity & stimulation to the dog ...

So, you really need to find some way of keeping Ginger occupied .. she will dig less (emphasis on the words "dig less) ... Get someone to help - and keep an eye on Ginger ... or keep her in a part of the house where there are no plants ...

Cheers ...

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 4, 2003, 2:45 AM

Post #3 of 19 (4564 views)
Shortcut

hello

surchinmy's right..dogs and plants do not get along together..maybe they do..as predetor and prey Tongue

How bout toys for her? You can create home made toys which are inexpensive (make sure they're safe meaning no parts can be chewed off/swallowed, does not splinter etc etc) or you can get your usual toys from the pet shop.

Hmm...how bout a dig area where the dog can dig his heart out?]

that's all i can think of now though.. Crazy
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 4, 2003, 7:27 AM

Post #4 of 19 (4560 views)
Shortcut

TongueSmileHi,

Mybe ur dog's just bored. Like nemo..my friend's dog...he's only 2 months but started to pull all the trees and uproot them. Maybe u can place a fence around the trees or spray some repellant near the tree

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 4, 2003, 7:37 AM

Post #5 of 19 (4560 views)
Shortcut

hi,

my dog used to dig, but not plants - instead, he digs on any spot he like on our piece of land planted with neat carpet grass.

first it was okay, just like a golf's hole. in fact we thought it's cute. then he began digging holes that's big enough for him to sit in :/

what i did was to drag him to the hole, forcefully push his head to the hole he dug (or even better, catch him in the act) and scold him like there's no tomorrow.

don't know if this works, but it does for my dog, as he stopped this act after a few weeks later. anyway, for my dog's case, he wasn't neglected/bored. digging is just...uh.... his hobby :/ but turning our greens into a golf course.... that's not quite what we wanted.

u could also provide your dog a sandbox to dig all his heart out like realitydreamer suggested...or for ur case, since u know she's bored during weekdays, try spending as much time as possible with her.

regards,
hunter

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Sep 8, 2003, 1:18 PM

Post #6 of 19 (4539 views)
Shortcut

hi,

dogs dig because they are bored or sometimes they have this fetish..where they love to plant their own stuff after digging a hole...usually food, bones..and whatever they can think of...and two or three days later, maybe more maybe less, they go back to the same spot and dig it out once again...

Maybe you could ask your dad to place it away from the ground?
Meme

odie moves MY world!

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 8, 2003, 5:29 PM

Post #7 of 19 (4537 views)
Shortcut

hi there...

i had the same problem..pups killing my mom's precious plants..like what hunter suggested..catch him on act,scold him like there's no tomorrow...get physical if the pup is stubborn...Wink

since you're not around,ask both your parents or your siblings to walk/play with her..

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

torochan

Sep 9, 2003, 2:23 AM

Post #8 of 19 (4528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] plant eating dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehi,

my chow got different hobby.he don't dig but like to smile n admire plants n flower.sometimes ,he even like to eat the flower.Crazy

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 2:41 AM

Post #9 of 19 (4527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [torochan] plant eating dog [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha....smile and admire plants and flower??my mom will love him...they can have their "flower talk" session...

torochan

Sep 11, 2003, 12:07 AM

Post #10 of 19 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

good idea! but ur mum might be shock in btw their chit chat section,my chow suddenly eat her flower in front of her .muahaaa..................

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 11, 2003, 1:50 AM

Post #11 of 19 (4509 views)
Shortcut

hahaha....shock???not that simple...our family might have claypot chow chow for dinner that nite!!hahaaaa...LaughLaugh

torochan

Sep 12, 2003, 12:38 AM

Post #12 of 19 (4502 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
hahaha....shock???not that simple...our family might have claypot chow chow for dinner that nite!!hahaaaa...LaughLaugh

but my dog is too rich in cholestrol TongueSly, don't wanna fatten up u guys Wink

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 12, 2003, 12:59 AM

Post #13 of 19 (4499 views)
Shortcut

my mom's motto....eat first, worry later!!! ahahahahah!!!!!LaughLaughSlyLaugh

bubble
Novice

Sep 15, 2003, 1:39 AM

Post #14 of 19 (4489 views)
Shortcut

my xiao hei mo tak teng... 1st he digs out the grass. we scold him 'like there's no tomorow'. he starts digging at de potted plants. we scold him like there's no future. he starts digging out de soil fr de derooted pots. then he proceed to eating de harder soil Crazy

Help!!!

Unsure Bubble

connie82
Novice

May 15, 2004, 9:07 PM

Post #15 of 19 (4340 views)
Shortcut

Hi...

My puppy loves eating the grass in my garden and after finishing the grass of that spot he will eat the soil instead... I have try saying "NO" and raise my voice on him.. but it just doesn't work.... He will just ignore me and continue eating until I have to drag him off that place....

What should I do? PLease help...

-connie-

weemeng
Novice

May 23, 2004, 12:12 AM

Post #16 of 19 (4153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] plant eating dog [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
hi,

my dog used to dig, but not plants - instead, he digs on any spot he like on our piece of land planted with neat carpet grass.

what i did was to drag him to the hole, forcefully push his head to the hole he dug (or even better, catch him in the act) and scold him like there's no tomorrow.

Hi hunter , My GR puppy sometime also did the same thing as your dog , I try to scold her and sometime hit her hand usind my hand . But off and on she will still do it and after I scold her she will start to avoid me .. Unsure like not happy because I scold her ...Pirate weemeng
--WeeMeng--

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

May 23, 2004, 7:17 PM

Post #17 of 19 (4125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [weemeng] plant eating dog [In reply to] Can't Post

hi weemeng

how old is your GR puppy? they tend to get really naughty when young. now my golden is around 3 1/2 yrs old, he's the sweetest gentleman u can find :)

don't worry about it, take patience. the reason i had to push his head and scold him that time was coz he has definitely crossed the boundaries, ignoring me scolding him about digging golf course holes earlier and go dig archeologists holes instead. he didn't quite understand me at first as i wasn't able to catch him in the act (he digs when everyone is asleep). so i had to take him to the hole the next morning and scold him. he didn't get me at first, but after like 4 or 5 more holes he get the idea :)

the best way is still to catch her in the act, or it'll definitely confuse her and she wouldn't have the slightest clue why did u scold her for. let her go out to the garden, spy her from somewhere and when she starts digging, immediately give a big NOOO. make sure it's stern enough to let the message cross.

weemeng
Novice

May 24, 2004, 1:49 AM

Post #18 of 19 (4123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] plant eating dog [In reply to] Can't Post

hi hunter ,

My Gr only 4 months old .. the young and naughty time right ?

Yah , i think she tend to get the message now few time of scolding and hit by me .. Blush.

Thanks ,

WeeMeng
--WeeMeng--

larry273
Novice

Oct 16, 2004, 8:00 PM

Post #19 of 19 (3251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [connie82] plant eating dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I am suffering the same problems as you, my lab uprooted all my plants and dug many holes in my garden. Recently I found out that by burying their own poo into the holes they dug can actually stop them from digging the same hole again, they just move away when smiled, it works for me. I kept doing it when new holes are dug. No harm trying because poo poo is good for your plant anyway. Good luck. Wink
Lawrence, Kim & Thunder

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my