Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Potty Training:Newbie

MrNiceGuy
Novice

Sep 2, 2003, 5:59 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1008 views)
Shortcut
Potty Training:Newbie Can't Post

First of all, I'm a newbies when comes to dog training, so I need some advice from all the experts/sifu over here about potty training.

I've just adopted a b!tch, 7-8 mths old, a Finnish Spitz mixed breed and I have a hard time to train her to go to toilet for pee and poo. She will pee and poo everywhere. I bought the repellent kit, after i clean her poo/pee i will spray some repellent liquid on that place but still she will pee and poo everywhere Mad even on the place where i sprayed the repellent. Please advice.

By the way, I did search and check out some previous thread and posting regarding potty training and I found that one of the training is soaking a towel with puppies urine and placing the towel into desired area. I did the same but instead of towel, i used tissue paper. But it won't work for me, may i know is there any other way that i can try?

Actually i started to train her when I got her home at the first day. What i will do is that everytime when I notice that she is sniffing around, i know that she's looking for place to pee/poo, i will shout at her "NO" and say " go to TOILET!".Sometimes it's too late, she'll just pee/poo at that place, i will then shout at her again "NO" and use some rolled up newpaper to make a loud sound (hit on my own hand) to scare her, then I will shout at her "Go to TOILET!". But this method doesn't seem to work for me, sometimes when I shouted at her to go to toilet, she will go to toilet and sit or lie inside the toilet but just don't wanna pee/poo. Sometimes i will just close the door of the toilet and let her stay alone inside the toilet, but I feel it's cruel to do that so normally i won't let her stay alone inside the toilet for more than 5 mins. The purpose to put her alone inside the toilet is to teach her that, that's the correct place to pee/poo, but won't work.MadSometimes I will just carry her to the toilet after she pee/poo and shout "go to TOILET" and then carry/show her way to the toilet.

But the above method just won't work for me,she still pee/poo everywhere. May i know what have I done wrong? Is this the correct method?

Most of the time, I'm dilemma to shout or not to shout at her because I afraid, she'll be scare when i shouted at her and she will hold on her poo/pee (scare that I will beat her) and i think it's not good for her to hold on her pee/poo for a long time right? .SIGH. Please help me on this.

Everytime when I try to carry her, she give me a facial expression that so scare that I will harm her.

Thanks a million in advance.
------------------------------------------------------------
-Brownie- Mongrel (Mixed Finnish Spitz)
-Baby- Mongrel (Mixed Shih Tzu)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 6:52 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrNiceGuy] Potty Training:Newbie [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Suspect you may have to re-think your housetraining methods ...

You wrote: "... i will shout at her "NO" and say " go to TOILET!".Sometimes it's too late, she'll just pee/poo at that place, i will then shout at her again "NO" and use some rolled up newpaper to make a loud sound (hit on my own hand) to scare her, then I will shout at her "Go to TOILET!". But this method doesn't seem to work for me ..."

I think you are already realising that this method is not going to work in the long run ... and you may end up making puppy afraid to pee or poop when you are around ... Unsure ... From your posting - it appears that the doggie is starting to get frightened ... And try not to close the door of toilet - locking pup alone will only make pup frightened of the toilet and make matters worse ... and even if she pees or poops - you are not there to see, praise & reward.

The idea with housetraining is to SHOW the puppy what to do as it is happening (make peeing & pooping exciting with praise & reward) ... rather than to reprimand AFTER it has happened ... housetraining is always difficult to begin with ... much patience and diligence is required ... but once you can get the pup to understand ... it gets easier and easier ... Smile

It is good that you are starting training now ... Smile

Please check out ... http://www.puppy.com.my/...;;page=unread#unread

It's kinda hard to explain the various methods of housetraining over the forum ... but it is a very critical aspect of training a pup ... a well housetrained dog is a pleasure to have around the house - one that is not properly trained can be very difficult to live with ...

Please think about finding a good dog training manual (MPH in MidValley has a good selection) ... a good manual will have a section on housetraining ... and offer good suggestions ... Smile

Cheers ...

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 2, 2003, 7:37 PM)

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Sep 3, 2003, 12:59 AM

Post #3 of 3 (989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrNiceGuy] Potty Training:Newbie [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Niceguy,

I was like you in a dilemma when I had my pug. I was very stressed when I first got Dome. He usually did his business everywhere but now he's ok. He pee and poo on the newspaper. Initially, i will alway look at him for 'business' behaviour and then I will put him on the paper and said 'shi-shi'. If he goes to the paper by himself and do his business there, I will praise him and give him a treat. Also, time your dog when he wants to do his 'poo-poo'. My Dome poopoo after about 2 hours his meal so I take him to the garden to do his poo-poo lah. It was quite stressful for me for the 1st two weeks but now he's quite trained. Sometimes he does his business where he's not suppose to do, I will pick him up and in a loud firm voice repeated NO NO NO. And then I'll carry him to the paper and said peepee or poopoo. I do smack Dome once in a while, but Dome does get the message quite fast. Dogs always have this pitiful look and it always break my heart when I scold and smack Dome. But don't be fooled by their look, they're actually quite cheeky and mischievious lah.
Don't worry lah...everything will be fine, just be firm and let them know who's the boss in the house. You do have to be a bit keras hati one. Anyway, good luck!

Ciao
Angeline + Maximus & Dome(miss u!)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my