Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
HELP!

Jenna
Novice

Sep 2, 2003, 11:00 AM

Post #1 of 4 (577 views)
Shortcut
HELP! Can't Post

Hi im new to this but i've had quiet a few dogs. I just got a new puppy yeasterday (about 5 1/2 weeks) I've never had a puppy before and so i dont really know whats normal. Can dogs be depressed???...She sleeps a lot and i'm alwayz having to hold her. When i put her down i have to pick her right back up. I'm worried about her tomarrow because she will be here with out me and i'm the only person she knows. And i dont want her to be scared, i have a small "pet taxi". She is really small and i think it is hard for her to eat the puppy food. Well i hope someone can answer my questions PLEASE.

Trivor
K9 Servant

Sep 2, 2003, 6:15 PM

Post #2 of 4 (571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jenna] HELP! [In reply to] Can't Post

hello Jenna,
Don't worry. Puppy sleeps zzzzz alot... I asked my vet too and ended up he laughed at me. Puppy is like baby. Baby sleeps alot, and so does puppy.

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 7:20 PM

Post #3 of 4 (567 views)
Shortcut

Helloo ... Smile

*** Can dogs be depressed???: Yes they can but I don't think your little one is "depressed" or "sad" Smile

*** She sleeps a lot: As Trivor says ... puppies do sleep alot ... puppies will play and then sleep ... Smile ... this is quite normal

*** and i'm alwayz having to hold her: ... I assume you hold her because she cries when she is on her own ... right? ... Smile ...

Well, at 5 1/2 weeks - your puppy is still very young and should not have been taken away from her mother ... Unsure ... puppies should not be separated from mother until at least 8 weeks. The 3 weeks can make a lot of difference to a pup.

At 5 weeks the pup is still missing mother's care ... and is only just getting weaned (from mother's milk) ... So play with pup as much as you can but maybe reduce the amount of cuddling (otherwise pup will always cry when you are not there) ... you can even let the puppy follow you around ... and when puppy is tired return puppy to crate ... and slowly teach the pup to spend sometime on her own in her crate

Place the crate where there are always people ... so pup is not alone ... the kitchen is usually a good place ... lots of people going in and out ... Smile

(IMPORTANT: remember not to leave puppy in crate for too long ... you must take her out for pee & poop - and you should start housetraining already)

Check this thread for housetraining: ... http://www.puppy.com.my/...;;page=unread#unread

*** She is really small and i think it is hard for her to eat the puppy food. Well i hope someone can answer my questions PLEASE: ... *hmmm* what do you mean by puppy food? ... Puppy kibble? ...

Maybe you can try this ... when you give her the kibble ... soak the kibble in warm water to make soft ... add a little honey ... and see whether the puppy eats ... Smile ...

And then alternate the honey (do not give honey every meal), with chicken meat boiled in a little water (do not add salt or pepper or spices) ... you can even add water in which you boiled the chicken into the kibble ... shred the chicken into small pieces ...

In the meantime ... go to a good pet shop with knowledgable pet shop owner ... ask for formulated milk for puppies ... and then you can substitute the warm water with some milk in kibble for your puppy ...

At this age you may have to feed the little girl 3 times a day ... just small meals ... puppy's stomach not so stong or big yet ...

If you do this for the next couple of week or so ... your puppy will get strong and then you can reduce to 2 meals a day ... and should be able to manage normal food ...

*** What kind of kibble are you feeding puppy?

*** Where did you get the puppy from?

*** Is puppy pure breed or mixed breed?

Cheers

PS ... what is "pet taxi" ... is that a little crate? Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 2, 2003, 7:21 PM)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 7:42 PM

Post #4 of 4 (564 views)
Shortcut

Just like Baby, a puppy grows when it sleeps... SO, try not to disturb them when they are having thier nap.. just like babies.. they sleep all the time and that's the time where they grow and develope. Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my