Clicker training to overcome behaviour problem

TohCS
Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2002, 7:25 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2427 views)
Shortcut
Clicker training to overcome behaviour problem Can't Post

Hi All,

You can also overcome behaviour problem buy using the clicker.
eg. if a doggie loves to jump on visitors watch out for the moment when the doggie is calm and sits down. The moment you detect the doggie has calm down and is sitting down click for that positive reinforcement.

Want to know more about clickers ?
Come joint us in SS2 on Merdeka Day.
Venue: Field behind Mobile Station in SS2.
Time :11 in the morning.

View the training forum for more details.
or call 012-2584315.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)

TohCS
Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2002, 8:45 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TohCS] Clicker training to overcome behaviour problem [In reply to] Can't Post

You can also train your doggie to accept things such as brushing their teeth, nail clipping with the clicker.
I have started with tooh brush. Now she accepts the brush and even show her teeth like this Laugh and place her teeth to the tooth brush and move her head left and right LOL. Though she only does that for a moment but she is accepting the brush. Today I add in the toothpaste . This takes time but it works.

Will start on nail clipping soon. I am sure it will work also.

Isn't it much easier than having to chase your doggie all over the house and pinning the doggie down and struggle with them to brush their teeth and clip their nails.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
My fur kids....

arthur
ALPHA

Aug 28, 2002, 9:01 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TohCS] Clicker training to overcome behaviour problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Cheng See!

Kind of you to post these articles on the benefits of clicker training for us. I have some queries:

1. We gradually substitute the treats with verbal praise, toy etc right? Otherwise the furkids will become FAT!Crazy

2. Wouldnt it be kinda difficult to train in a group? I can forsee the furkids might be confused with so many clicking sounds at once or within that second or two. Unless we stagger the commands, or train one at a time, do you see this as a problem in group training?

3. Later on when the furkids progress on to obedience training, would it still be looking out for the clicking sound *after* it has carried out the required action eg. SIT. Definetly clickers would NOT be allowed in the obedience ring right?

Hope I dont come across as sounding negative.. Just want to know more that's all. Wink

Rdgs Arthur

PS..We definetly be there to see the clicker demo in SS2!

Khoobg
Webmaster / Moderator

Aug 28, 2002, 9:23 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2411 views)
Shortcut

MIBs will be there too for the DEMO. Cheers Smile

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

TohCS
Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2002, 6:44 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Clicker training to overcome behaviour problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Arthur ,

A common question asked by many...

Question1). We gradually substitute the treats with verbal praise, toy etc right? Otherwise the furkids will become FAT!Crazy

(Answer) We gradually fade the treat and substitute with praise.

Question 2.) Wouldnt it be kinda difficult to train in a group? I can forsee the furkids might be confused with so many clicking sounds at once or within that second or two. Unless we stagger the commands, or train one at a time, do you see this as a problem in group training?

(Answer) After a few clicks the dogs with sharper hearing ability then us will be able to identify it's own clicks. They know where their owners are and where the click comes from.

3. Later on when the furkids progress on to obedience training, would it still be looking out for the clicking sound *after* it has carried out the required action eg. SIT. Definetly clickers would NOT be allowed in the obedience ring right?

(Answer) You can't take clickers in the ring just like you can't take food, toys or correction collars.The clicker is a learning tool for the behaviour. Clickers is used to teach the command during training and not to be used as a motivation for a treat. Once in the ring the learning part should already be accomplish. By now a verbal cue substitute the click and a praise substitute the treat.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
My fur kids....

arthur
ALPHA

Aug 29, 2002, 8:44 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cheng See..
Thks for the informative answers! It sounds very much like the training collars method (minus the yanking of course!). In the end, it's the results that counts I guess.. looking fwd to seeing the demo this coming Saturday.
Rdgs Arthur

les
K9 Maniac

Aug 30, 2002, 1:53 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Clicker training to overcome behaviour problem [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha.. MIBs.. :) funny.. Tongue

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my