First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 3, 2003, 7:12 PM

Post #26 of 37 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopdog] Potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ... Smile ...

Have always felt that as long as owners are committed to their dogs ... then even if owners work and the dog is left at home during the day - it's is still possible to rear healthy and steady dogs ... And you and your husband are great example ... Cool

For sure it requires adjustments, much patience and understanding but is possible ...

Leashing a dog for part of the day is not necessarily cruel ... Smile ... as with most things - it depends on how it is done ... Am sure you leashed the doggie under ample shelter, with lots of water and made sure that the leash was not too short ... the leash will allow the dog to stretch its legs and move around a bit ... And if housetraining is taking place at the same time (as you did with your dog) ... then it is not being cruel ... it's simply establishing a necessary routine & discipline to ensure happy times in the years to come.

My only concern with leashing or collaring a dog while owners is primarily an concern for safety ... there is a danger (especially with the larger dogs) that the chain/leash can get tangled up and hurt the dog ... have seen that happen before ... *sigh*... so generally suggest a "safe & secured area" instead ...

It sounds like you have managed very well with your dog ... am sure your dog goes to sleep a very happy boy ... *Smile ... got chance to go out for dinner some more ... so lucky!

For sure you are not stepping on anyone's toes ... *Smile...

The decision whether or not to let the doggies into the bedroom is a very individual and private decision ... As they say, different strokes for different folks ...

Keeping parts of the house "dog-free" is not a bad policy either ... for both practical & psychological reasons … makes housekeeping easier and can help maintain order in the “pack” for dogs to learn that only you have full access to house ...

Cheers

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 3, 2003, 7:20 PM

Post #27 of 37 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pin] Potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

Most welcome ... Smile ... you have to thank my doggies - they taught us everything ... LOL

I say ... getting a wow wow ... okay ... !!! ... Best wishes to you and the intended new member of the family ...

Cheers

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Sep 3, 2003, 9:43 PM

Post #28 of 37 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehi su,

Thanks for the great reply. Now I know who are the 'si-fu' here. HeheheSly...Anyway, I did learn a lot from puppy.com and especially you, su. I looked through most of the forums and you give great advise. I hope I can meet up with you during the Sept 14 gathering.
"PATIENCE IS VIRTUE"Angelic

Ciao
Angeline + Maximus & Dome(miss u!)

Pin
Novice

Sep 3, 2003, 11:20 PM

Post #29 of 37 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Hi Surchinmy, Wink

I got a female rottie pup recently. She is still with the breeder until early Nov. Breeder seemed to be very responsible, knowledgable and willing to help. He is going to potty-train her plus some basic commands. Looking forward to the day when my pup comes home.Smile
Woof Woof

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 4, 2003, 1:36 AM

Post #30 of 37 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopdog] Potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ... thanks but no sifu please ... just trying ...

Yes ... hopefully we get to meet up sometime ... the gathering maybe ... Smile... have good days

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 4, 2003, 1:50 AM

Post #31 of 37 (1182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pin] Potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Sounds good ...

Would like to make suggestion:

If possible - visit the puppy as often as you can before November ... and to participate in the training - that will help bond the pup to you and your family ...

Rotties are wonderful dogs ... very loyal, very protective ... but they are very strong and can be a little dominant and will require firm, fair & reasonable handling ...

And since you have a responsible and good breeder then by participating in training - you will learn much from your breeder - as much as the pup even Wink ... it will make for easier transition all round ...

Have good days and lots of fun with Rottie ...

dieselthepup
Novice

Sep 4, 2003, 2:29 AM

Post #32 of 37 (1182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brandyg] Potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read everybody's suggestions so I might be repeating someone else but can you not corner off a portion of your house for the pup to run around in? This way you could put some newspaper down in case he does have to go pee but he has room to move around in. I have read that puppies need to go pee every 2-3 hours at that age. The stage you are will only last a couple more months and then he will be able to hold in for longer. Good luck.

paulynn
ALPHA

Sep 8, 2003, 7:50 PM

Post #33 of 37 (1162 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Thanks for filling my empty brain on good tips and things i need to know about when getting a pup.Since i MIGHT get a young pup from a member here soon, i took the iniciative to check EVERY single section in this forum especially on pups.I've never had a pup before and when i adopted Nash (current baby) from SPCA he was already 1 year old so i took care of him and understanding him with what i know about dogs.

Having a pup sounds like a huge responsibility.Its very similiar to having a human baby.No difference,only thing is that i feel like i'm a mother...Sobs..Young mother...Laugh soooo happy.Can't wait for my WOOF WOOF Josie.

Hip hip woofray!!Sly

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 2:07 AM

Post #34 of 37 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] Potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ... Smile

You are so right about puppy being like a baby ... Smile...

All the best to you and your new puppy ... Have good days ...

kohzila

Sep 9, 2003, 7:18 AM

Post #35 of 37 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] Potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

wishing you all the best in adopting a young puppy soon..BTW someone is giving away "HUSH PUPPIES" in the other forum..interested??

paulynn
ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 7:19 AM

Post #36 of 37 (1152 views)
Shortcut

Thank you so much once again.TongueYes you're right.They are and will always be our baby!TLC is what they want from us cos we're their only family members in this world (esp those dogs that comes from animal shelter or anywhere!)AngelicAngelicAngelic !!

paulynn
ALPHA

Sep 9, 2003, 7:33 AM

Post #37 of 37 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kohzila] Potty training [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha thanks......i hope i make a great owner of a young *infant* myself too!Haha i'm not really into bassett hounds.HehLaugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my