Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Bathing Dogs

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

icaruz

Aug 28, 2003, 9:30 AM

Post #1 of 59 (5785 views)
Shortcut
Bathing Dogs Can't Post

Normally I think on the average a dog baths 1 week once..but why cant we bath our dogs more often that that?? Scared of 'fong sap' is it? I dont mind bathing my pup everyday or every alternate day to keep her sparkling clean but it's not really practiced by most and I would like to know the reason behind it..My pup is really fun to bath so I really enjoy it.Tongue

sweeeng
ALPHA

Aug 28, 2003, 5:51 PM

Post #2 of 59 (5774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icaruz] Bathing Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

There are ppl who bath their dog almost everyday. But it's not advisable...

regards,
sweeeng

2ephyr
ALPHA

Aug 28, 2003, 7:10 PM

Post #3 of 59 (5770 views)
Shortcut

if im not mistaken ....

most of da dogs do have a layer of oil on their body for some kind of protection lar... cant remember wat liao....Wink

if u bath them too often, ull wash away dat layer of oil n it is not good for ur dog lo...Unsure

icaruz

Aug 28, 2003, 7:20 PM

Post #4 of 59 (5768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [2ephyr] Bathing Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

oh...but what happends if the layer of oil is being washed away often? it's like people asks not to wash your hair everyday but alot of us do it as well and nothing is wrong..

Sorry...I dont mean to ask stupid questions..just wanted to know

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 28, 2003, 10:56 PM

Post #5 of 59 (5763 views)
Shortcut

hello,Smile

the fur becomes dry, weaker and harsher to the touch

not so water proof also
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

2ephyr
ALPHA

Aug 28, 2003, 11:36 PM

Post #6 of 59 (5761 views)
Shortcut

if u bath ur dog too often it will strip ur dogs skin of the natural protective oils and will cause dry itchy flakey skin....Cool

once or twice a month should be ok... urs a beagle rite? beagle dont have long coat mah no need to bath tat often wan lo....Tongue

Ellietan
Novice

Aug 29, 2003, 11:08 PM

Post #7 of 59 (5745 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I bath my Shih Tzu twice a week now. I think it is enough for him.

Vet advise to bath doggie once a week....but I think with the hot weather here, we need to have at least twice a week.

:)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 30, 2003, 10:38 PM

Post #8 of 59 (5732 views)
Shortcut

It's good to know that your puppy actually enjoys bathing.. If I take out Jaz's towel, she will hide under the sofa... seems like really hates taking shower!!

Anyway, once a week is good, unless your dog is really dirty and smelly.. you see dog doesn't sweat like us, human.. they too have this one thin layer of oil on thier skin or something like that to protect thier skin ( i think) but definately unlike human hair, where we produce oil and sweat, they don't.

So it's best not to bath them too often if possible.

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 3, 2003, 7:24 AM

Post #9 of 59 (5717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Bathing Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileSame here Jaz,

My dog understands the language of bathing & once my mum or dad says so, he'll run away under the sofa and he once run out from the bathroom once with shampoo on his body when i opened the doorTongue

Yaa....i sometimes bath him once or twice in a month coz he does not smell, therefore not necessarySmile

elizatye
K9 Senior

Sep 3, 2003, 4:55 PM

Post #10 of 59 (5711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Bathing Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Hahaha... ya, my furkids know the word of bathing too.. every time I said, "yippi, chong liong lor..." he will run and hide at the back of the sofa. I have PULL him out from the sofa and he will act like a "dead fish"... FrownWink

I bath my furkid once a week, normally on sunday.

Smile Eliza

sweeeng
ALPHA

Sep 3, 2003, 6:01 PM

Post #11 of 59 (5707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Bathing Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

My smaller dogs will run and hide too ... when i tell them "bath, bath"... my shih tzu will even cry if I put her inside a pail with cold water. But if with warm water, she'll just stay inside the water and won't even want to come out to let me shampoo her. If I take her out, she'll jump back in... swimming ... and diving .... it's rather surprising ... seeing her dive and retrieve something from under water.

My labs love bathing.... when you tell them "bath bath", they'll walk straight to the water pipe and wait there...

regards,
sweeeng

ashley
ALPHA

Sep 3, 2003, 10:56 PM

Post #12 of 59 (5702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elizatye] Bathing Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine dog no need say " chong liong" when see i take tuala and boil hot water..... haha they will know what happen !! run and hide under table or sofa.Unsure
But i always bath the two without any long fur eh 1st. Heihei will be last cost she take long time to finish Crazy...
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

elizatye
K9 Senior

Sep 3, 2003, 11:35 PM

Post #13 of 59 (5698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashley, sweeeng] Bathing Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems many dogs don't like bath Frown. Is it just because of they scare of water, or, because of our bathing "kong fu" no good... FrownWink

Smile Eliza

ashley
ALPHA

Sep 3, 2003, 11:48 PM

Post #14 of 59 (5696 views)
Shortcut

hahahah! i think water will be 40% than our kong fo will be 60% !!
I always feel my Ginger got " chau hu" CrazyUnsure
cos she will getting smelly after 3 to 4 days !!Unimpressed
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

elizatye
K9 Senior

Sep 3, 2003, 11:54 PM

Post #15 of 59 (5691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashley] Bathing Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Yalor, Yippi same too. That's why grooming powder and the biscuit to get rid of the odour for Yippi is the must Tongue.

Smile Eliza

sweeeng
ALPHA

Sep 3, 2003, 11:57 PM

Post #16 of 59 (5688 views)
Shortcut

Not sure, leh.... my smaller dogs are long haired... probably they are scare of feeling cold everytime they have their bath... cos i notice them shiver after their bath although i use warm water....

regards,
sweeeng

torochan

Sep 5, 2003, 12:49 AM

Post #17 of 59 (5673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Bathing Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehi,

first..i bath my chow once a week .now..bath only once in 2 weeks.

why? chow has a very thick coat and u need to blow dry them as if left wet they will develop rashes. So it takes abt 1 hr to blow dry them thoroughly.dam tired!!

lulugurl
ALPHA

Sep 5, 2003, 3:28 AM

Post #18 of 59 (5668 views)
Shortcut

Jaz always look like a rat that fell into the drain when she took a bath.LaughLaugh And she'll also try to escape from the tub everry single time...CrazyTongue
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

nathalie
Doggyman

Sep 5, 2003, 8:11 AM

Post #19 of 59 (5665 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi,

Mine understand that language too and thn like ur doggie, he;ll play dead..hahaSmile. True, most small breeds r scared of water but larger breed tends to love bathing more...maybe bcoz of thrie origin...i think...labs..retrieve fishermen's net.....i guessSmile

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 5, 2003, 9:56 AM

Post #20 of 59 (5663 views)
Shortcut

i think retrievers are 'water-lovers' by nature..

my golden would run around the yard excitedly when i say 'chong liang'..though he doesn't come straight to the water pipe...but he lets me bath him without any struggle and will only shake when i say ok..Wink

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

sweeeng
ALPHA

Sep 5, 2003, 5:32 PM

Post #21 of 59 (5655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [torochan, lulugurl] Bathing Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

I really admire all those who owns a chow chow. Their hair is so thick... For me, a small dog with long hair also a bit susah oredi, this chow chow so big size and my goodness.... the hair...

Lulugurl, my dogs also looks like rat when they are wet.... especially my smallest size dog which is smaller than a cat! ha..h.a...

sweeeng
ALPHA

Sep 5, 2003, 5:34 PM

Post #22 of 59 (5655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Bathing Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup ... i seriously think that the retrievers loves water... when i first bath my lab, i use to chain her to the pipe.... cos i scare if i put shampoo halfway, she'll run away... but this time no need chain oredi lor.... even after bath, she'll just sit there and wait for me to bring her towel to wipe her. If I do something else, she'll start barking asthough asking me to be quick... really cute...Smile

lulugurl
ALPHA

Sep 6, 2003, 2:05 AM

Post #23 of 59 (5645 views)
Shortcut

yes, they are really a lot of work...for those double layer..thick coated dogs...Crazy imagine..one of my friends has got 3 chows~!!!CrazyCrazy
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

kesuke
Doggyman

Sep 6, 2003, 6:10 PM

Post #24 of 59 (5641 views)
Shortcut

i think dogs that love water are better lah coz at least when you bathe them, you won't get soaked up as well...hahahaha.......TongueTongue

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

sun-arrow

Sep 7, 2003, 5:11 AM

Post #25 of 59 (5635 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Bathing Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah!! After bathing my dog (who is scared of bathing), I am always soaking wet Crazy Then the thing is, I don't know whether he peed on me or not...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my