First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

edwinkhan
Novice

Aug 26, 2003, 12:46 AM

Post #1 of 51 (8306 views)
Shortcut
he just won't sotp chewing Can't Post

hie every1....

my cocker just seem that he won't stop chewing anythin that is available to him.........i tried giving him bones n balls.........but after awhile he'll go back to chew pur hands , hair, clothes, newspaper.........i try to b firm n said NO to him........he'll listen for awhile.........then he'll b the same again.......

issit there anyway to stop this??? Crazy

oh yeah.........he's only 5 months old.............

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 26, 2003, 1:49 AM

Post #2 of 51 (8302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [edwinkhan] he just won't sotp chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

A 5 month old puppy will chew ... that's the way puppies are ... Smile ... Puppies also have short attention spans ... (just like kids) ... And the puppy's desire to chew is going to continue until he gets his permanent teeth ...

Just be patient and consistent ... there is no short cut to good training ...

Reprimand: Everytime the puppy chews on something "wrong" ... (no need for any physical punishment) ... say a firm "NO" ... Take the item away and offer him his toy or something appropriate to chew ...

Your whole family must do the same ... Consistency and good training go together ...

Only one person should say "NO" at one time ... Not good to have several people yelling together ... puppy will just get confused. And remember not to say ... "no, no, no, no, no" ... the reprimand is not repeating "no"s ... just say... *puppy's name* followed by a firm "NO" ....

Have several chew toys for him ... puppies get bored easily ... you can alternate the toys to keep the puppy interested ... (I suggest avoiding "rawhide" toys or bones ... stick with good quality rubber bones like "gumma" or "nyla" bone or similar products) ...

Praise & reward: What is also very important in training is praise & reward ...

Everytime you see puppy chewing the "correct" thing ... Praise the puppy profusely ... say "good doggy ... smart doggy etc" - show puppy you are happy ... and give reward. Reward can be a treat or belly rub ... whatever your puppy likes ...

Praise & reward is even more useful than reprimand (I think), because it reinforces good behaviour and encourages your puppy (and we all need encouragement Smile) ... your puppy needs your attention & time ... play with him ... get him tired ... a tired puppy is a happy puppy ...

Best of luck ...

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Aug 26, 2003, 1:54 AM)

edwinkhan
Novice

Aug 26, 2003, 6:23 PM

Post #3 of 51 (8290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] he just won't sotp chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

alrite.........i'll try to give him some other soft toys to get him distracted....

by the way......my little pup has now get used to pee n poo on the newspaper.......i try to relocate his place of 'pee n poo' to the toilet by puttin papers in it.........but he just refuse to get into the toilet..........any suggestion????

[blushBlush

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 26, 2003, 8:00 PM

Post #4 of 51 (8287 views)
Shortcut

... *ah* housebreaking ... Okay, training puppy to pee & poop on newspaper is half the battle won ... SmileSmileSmile... Well done.

Relocation of newspaper is a tricky bit ... Essentially, you will need to retrain your puppy to pee & poop at the "new" location in the same way as you trained him for the 1st location ...

But it should be easier this time round, because by training for the 1st location you will already have taught him to associate newspaper with waste elimination ...

(a) Relocate the newspaper to your toilet. If puppy is afraid of the toilet as a place, then play with the puppy in the toilet so that the pup gets used to the toilet and realises that the toilet is not a place to be afraid of ...

(b) After every meal ... or at your doggie's pee or poop time ... take your puppy to the new location, leave him on the newspaper ... when he pees or poops ... praise & treat enthusiastically ... Everytime a pup does something "right" or something which you want him to do ... ALWAYS PRAISE & TREAT ... Only a small treat will do ... you don't want your puppy to get too fat ... Wink

Some trainers suggest that carry your puppy "low to the ground" to the new location so that puppy can see where he is supposed to go ...

(c) EVERYTIME you see your puppy pee or poop in the "wrong" place ... do not wait for him to finish ... Some trainers suggest you do not reprimand at all (I tend to agree) ... just pick him up & carry him to the correct location and leave him there ... if he pees or poops there ... Praise & Treat ...Be consistent...

The reason for not reprimanding is - if you reprimand, you may accidentally train the pup to think that peeing & pooping is wrong ... and if that happens, you can have a major problem ... If a doggie starts to think that every time he pees & poops he will be scolded ... the puppy may start hiding his pee & poop ... or puppy will wait for you not to be around before he eliminates ... and that is not what you want! ...

If you are familiar with the clicker method of training ... you can use the clicker to teach housebreak too ...

Hope this helps ... good luck ...Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Aug 26, 2003, 8:03 PM)

arthur
ALPHA

Aug 26, 2003, 8:40 PM

Post #5 of 51 (8281 views)
Shortcut

Hi Surchinmy,

This is Arthur here..me "kai poh" a bit..Smile

Just wanna say that I'm mighty glad that you came onboard. Good, solid, practical advice for many of the questions posed by the members. Thks and I've kept many of your advice / viewpoints for my future reference.

Where were u when I first had my schnauzers about 2years ago? CrazyUnsure

Rdgs Arthur

Riccaval
ALPHA

Aug 26, 2003, 11:15 PM

Post #6 of 51 (8272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] he just won't sotp chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Smileagree with you Arthur and it seems recently we have 1 or 2 new sifus on board.
Eat your heart out jpTongue

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 27, 2003, 1:30 AM

Post #7 of 51 (8263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] he just won't sotp chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Arthur ... thanks ... Blush ...

Just glad to be able to share what we have learnt over the years ...

This is a good place - lots of doggy people here ... SmileSmileSmile... quite different from some of the other doggie websites ... and it's all thanks to people like you & the rest of the forum members who encourage instead of discourage ... well done!!! ... SmileSmileSmile

... And think we did meet 2 years ago when you got schnauzers ...

Cheers ...

pomlove
Dog Kichi

Aug 27, 2003, 5:41 AM

Post #8 of 51 (8258 views)
Shortcut

Hey, Hey, I love this positive consistant advise!!! Keep the good info coming. I have my puppy chewing, digging, biting hands and etc. Every day she gets a little better. Instead of biting hands she goes for her toys when I come home or she gets excited. Boy does she go through a lot of chew toys but it's worth it for me to see her growing and being happy with her self and calming down to chew the rawhide bones on her bed (which she has also chewed up). I look forward to the day she can get a new bed because that will mean that she is not chewing on no-no things any more!!! I love the puppy stage even with all the work. They only want to please us and love us. Linda

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 27, 2003, 10:56 AM

Post #9 of 51 (8243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pomlove] he just won't sotp chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's wishing you can get your doggie a new bed soon ...

Agree with you ... puppies and puppy breath are wonderful ... *Smile*

Cheers ...

edwinkhan
Novice

Aug 27, 2003, 9:35 PM

Post #10 of 51 (8234 views)
Shortcut

hey....

i'll keep on tryin until he get used to pee n poo in the toilet......thanx for the advice..........me n my whole family found it very very useful to us.....

i think my little Roy will agree as well...hehhehehehehe...btw......which puppy u having now???? Sly

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 28, 2003, 2:16 AM

Post #11 of 51 (8227 views)
Shortcut

... No more puppies ... all our 4 doggies are grown up now ... Smile

Here's wishing you lots of good days with Roy ...

JolinG
Doggyman

Aug 28, 2003, 3:11 AM

Post #12 of 51 (8226 views)
Shortcut

oh speaking of puppys breath, dont u think they smell like marmite or nutrigel

i like to smell them too..when they lick my face

sorry alh bit out of topic.....TongueBlush

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 28, 2003, 5:58 AM

Post #13 of 51 (8223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JolinG] he just won't sotp chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

... marmite??? ... *hmmm*... now you are getting me real worried ... what kind of puppies have you been sniffing??? LOL ... Are you sure you got the right end? ... TongueCrazy ...

Actually ... the smell is kinda hard to describe neh ... it's like a human baby's smell 'cept with a doggie flavour ... Smile

JolinG
Doggyman

Aug 28, 2003, 8:21 AM

Post #14 of 51 (8218 views)
Shortcut

ahha u dun think they do smell like marmite?
hermmmmm

over all puppies smell are like baby powderish kind or smell....like u open baby milk n smell the tin inside
ahha...ok nvm..we will not get into that in here!Wink

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 28, 2003, 8:42 AM

Post #15 of 51 (8217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JolinG] he just won't sotp chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

... Good idea ... we shan't get into that ... LOL ... am having hard time trying to reconcile what we have been writing with the thread ... "... he just won't stop biting ..." ... Smile

makrawl
Canine Addict

Aug 28, 2003, 8:53 PM

Post #16 of 51 (8204 views)
Shortcut

maybe u can try this. my books taught me that when u r changing the location, slowly move the papers inch by inch (move a bit further from the usual place daily) untill it reach the place u want. i don't know if it will work if the "old place" is miles away from the "new place". so maybe u can give a thought on that?

oh my, puppies chew like mad. all the crates, bowls, mats, plastic covers, shoes, flowers, wires, fingers, iron gate, stones etc were chewed by my pup (Beauty). i was so mad but now she's already 10 months old and doesn't chew anymore. i'm so glad (phew!) be patience and remember to keep all the "high risk" material away from puppies ALL THE TIME.

edwinkhan
Novice

Aug 28, 2003, 9:45 PM

Post #17 of 51 (8199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [makrawl] he just won't sotp chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

actually the place between the new place n old place is kinda far for my Roy.........but that's okie....i'll take u r words.........hehehehe.....Tongue

btw...........when ur pupu stop chewing stuff??? i reali wana know that.......Laugh

makrawl
Canine Addict

Aug 28, 2003, 11:50 PM

Post #18 of 51 (8193 views)
Shortcut

about 8-9 months old. i think.

i bought some sprays for anti-chew, but they don't seem to stop that monster from sinking her teeth into those things??Sly

anyway, make sure she didn't chew anything that is harmful. coz they swallow everything. once i had a spizt who swallowed a whole ballon! (yaicks!)

edwinkhan
Novice

Aug 30, 2003, 9:48 AM

Post #19 of 51 (8182 views)
Shortcut

ohhhhhhhh.........is there any anti-chew spary??? i dunno bout that.......anyway......i just bought my pup alot of chewing toys today........hope that he won't get bored of chewing his own stuff kua........hehe...............Sly

btw...........issit good to let our pup go near grass or anythin in green??? i mean let them eat those green stuff.........?????????????

sslee80
ALPHA

Aug 30, 2003, 5:48 PM

Post #20 of 51 (8178 views)
Shortcut

hello,

my pup behave like yours too... always want to chew on grass when i let him play at the garden. I did give chewable toys to him but when he is at the garden, he will start to pull grass out and chew on them.. wondering if it is alrite when they chew and swallow those grass...Unsure Can those SI Fu give some advises??? Thx

Have a Great Day.

Sean LEE

sweeeng
ALPHA

Aug 30, 2003, 7:10 PM

Post #21 of 51 (8177 views)
Shortcut

I seriously think the anti-chew spray doesn't work. Cos last time my lab always bite the water hose... although we spray those stuff on it, she'll still chew on the water hose. We kept the spray in the shoe rack. She open the shoe rack and bite the bottle out and destroy it....

regards,
sweeeng

sweeeng
ALPHA

Aug 30, 2003, 7:12 PM

Post #22 of 51 (8177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sslee80] he just won't sotp chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

I think chewing on grass is ok. You won't believe if I tell you that they only chew on certain grass... I heard from somewhere that if the dog is not feeling very well, they'll chew the grass as a medicine for them.... so no worries...

my lab will not chew on my taiwanese grass but will chew on the cow-grass whenever she sees me pulling it out... maybe she just wanna help. ... he..he...

regards,
sweeeng

makrawl
Canine Addict

Aug 30, 2003, 7:43 PM

Post #23 of 51 (8175 views)
Shortcut

i think it should be ok to let them take some grasses. mine like to chew on lemongrass, and those weeds that have long and pointed leaves. later they will vomit out. i'm not very sure but i've been told by ppl that they r trying to clean up their stomach and settle their stomach upset.

well, they've been doing it, i don't know if it is harmful but at least they r ok??Crazy

makrawl
Canine Addict

Aug 30, 2003, 7:48 PM

Post #24 of 51 (8174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] he just won't sotp chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

wah! she even tracked down the bottle and destroy it for u?! fortunately mine doesn't do that. whenever i spray it, she'll run over and stare curiously when the bottle sounds "PSSSSS............" then she'll sneeze like mad becoz of the "tea tree" smell. but still, she goes for the thing after i sprayed it. Hmm......

sslee80
ALPHA

Aug 30, 2003, 8:33 PM

Post #25 of 51 (8172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] he just won't sotp chewing [In reply to] Can't Post

really? how do I know which type of grass that they won't chew on?

yea..I heard about sick dog eat grass..but is that work?

nice to know that dogs don't chew on taiwanese grass. btw, the so called cow grass is the ordinary type of grass, right???

your lab must be very helpful...Smile

thx for your advice.

happy holidays

Have a Great Day.

Sean LEE

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my