Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Vet visit for new puppy

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2002, 1:09 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Vet visit for new puppy Can't Post

Hi. I'm new to the forum. In fact, I'm also new at raising a puppy. I hope the more experienced members can bear with me on some of my rather basic questions. I am expecting to bring home a beagle pup in a few days' time. She'll be 7 weeks old. Question is...... should I bring her to the vet immediately for a thorough checkup? If so, are there any reputable vets around the D'sara/ PJ area? Thanks!

arthur
ALPHA

Aug 20, 2002, 7:51 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] Vet visit for new puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ivan,
Congrats on your new beagle puppy! Smile As for your qry whether you shud bring it to the vet immediately.. I believe it would be advisable to wait for a day or 2 before seeing the vet. Reason being:

1. It may be a traumatic expericence for the young 7 week pup to be separated from her litter mates and mother, settling into a new home/enviroment with new owners and most of all, new smells! (she's a beagle after all Wink)

2. She just got her 2nd jab right? Then she shud be protected somewhat.. Just remember to collect her medical records when you bring her back with you. You'll need this for her 3rd jab to maintain her vaccination records. You can also check whether she got a 5-in-1 or 6-in-1 vaccination.

Rdgs Arthur

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2002, 8:14 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Vet visit for new puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Arthur (again)!,
Actually, the breeder told me that it's only got 1 jab so far. I'll have to bring it for the 2nd jab. Also, I would've to bring the pup for microchipping at a vet ...all paid for by the breeder of course (the microchipping). Apparently, the breeder didn't microchip the pup earlier as he didn't want the pup to be exposed to the outside world too early...in case it caught any viruses. Sounds noble, I don't don't think it's normal practice right? Anyway, I believed him and from my visit to his house, his dogs all seem well kept and the environment was clean. Both the Sire and Dam were also there and they were beautiful. Having read all the experiences with distemper, parvo etc etc, I've sort of become a bit paranoid. And I intend to do everything I can (with some advice from puppycom forumers of course!) to prevent any heartaches.

TohCS
Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2002, 12:26 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Welcome to the world of beagles.
Hope I am not too late in replying this.

Anyway my vet told me that if you need to bring a new pup to be check after you have bought it the best is do not bath it first. Meaning to say you can bring it home and let it settle in to your home environment and when you are available bring it to the vet. You see if a puppy is not bath yet a vet will be able to better tell you about the condition of a pup.

Should you need to know more about bringing up a beagle I will be glad to share my experience with you. Just send me a mail
or you can post here.

Beagles are such wonderful doggie to own. I am glad to welcome you once again to the World of Beagles.

Cheng See

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2002, 12:51 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TohCS] Vet visit for new puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Cheng See, and thanks for sharing your experience. I can't agree with you more about beagles. The look on their face just melts your heart doesn't it? I just cannot bear to scold her but I know I must sometimes to discipline her. Today's the second day. Last night (being the first night), she was cying in the middle of the night, woke me up about 4 times. This is just like having a baby (although my wife and I don't have any kids yet). I really feel sad for her to be taken away from her litter mates, but on the bright side, everyone in my family adores her. Did your Belle cry as much when you brought her home? By the way, my wife and I named her "Bodhi"....which is a sanskrit for "wisdom". I just hope she's wise and intelligent when she grows up!!!

TohCS
Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2002, 3:04 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1696 views)
Shortcut

Belle cries a little on the first night. I guess she was crying because of the cage. I let her out and she sleeps silently.
Anyway before you toilet train her fully you will need a crate for her to sleep in the night unless you are ready to clean her wee and poop (all over the house) in the morning .
Anyway beagles being a hound that has a nature to roam does not like to be cage up and will make lots of noise and may even Aaroo (some call it baying , sound like a howl but a better version that a howl).
However make sure you have her in the house or in a compound that is fully secure and make sure she can't roam out. Beagle have that tendency to let their nose trail them away.

Back to the cries ,if she still cry in the night try having a clock near her
to stimulate the sound of her mama's heart beat.

Many say when they cry just ignore them and eventually they will keep quite.
Well I must share this .... I do not have the heart to do that and I end up being sleepless for the first couple of weeks. Then I let her out of her cage and she has been quite then. I let her free run in the day as I work from home.

Anyway once Belle was toilet train I have her sleeping in the couch in our bedroom.
Belle is now 6 and 1/2 months old. I got her when she was 2 1/2 months old. She pass her toilet training at 3 3/4 months.

All the best.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my