Saint Bernard Anyone ?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

doberman
ALPHA

Oct 21, 2003, 4:54 PM

Post #26 of 32 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maenambeach] Saint Bernard Anyone ? [In reply to] Can't Post

haha... u r really funny ler...:) if u really want to open a doggie hotel or mamak, remember ask me to be ur sharepartner ok!haha...

well, do u hv doggie at home now??

Henry from Penang
dobermann@puppy.com.myWink

Jean Liew
Dog Kichi

May 13, 2004, 3:17 AM

Post #27 of 32 (1227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kathleen.tay] Saint Bernard Anyone ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi i'm new to the forum, but yeah, I had a St. Bernard too! but it passed away in Feb this year, of volvulus at the age of 7yrs Frown. Miss that big slobbering giant dearly but may he rest in peace. But honestly, speaking, I wouldn't get another dog that should really belong in cold weather. It's just way to hot and humid here in Malaysia for this breed and many others. I had to constantly send him to be fully clipped/shaved. Was just too young and didn't think about these things when i watched Beethoven for the first time and begged my dad for a St. Bernard! But they are big friendly sweet giants I must say, with the best temperaments ever! Juts wish they could live in tropical countries comfortably that's all!!!

teo
Novice

Jul 1, 2004, 4:07 AM

Post #28 of 32 (1171 views)
Shortcut

hi..u hav a saint bernard..im interested for this breed..where u buy it?can i hav some information?

bubbles2004
Novice

Aug 23, 2004, 1:10 AM

Post #29 of 32 (1126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jean Liew] Saint Bernard Anyone ? [In reply to] Can't Post

All these while was thinking that my Labrador at the age of 1.5 yrs old is big not until I met one St. Bernard at Subang Pet World last Saturday. It is really HUGE ! Wink

Love to have a St. Bernard, a GIANT that make people turn their head back to have a 2nd look when walking your St. Bernard !!!Sly

Jean Liew, I guess you own a big house and large compound for your St. Bernard to live in. What's your most important advise for us to own a St. Bernard ?Laugh

Jean Liew
Dog Kichi

Aug 24, 2004, 9:25 PM

Post #30 of 32 (1115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bubbles2004] Saint Bernard Anyone ? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi bubbles! well i guess the first thing that comes to my mind is the fact that st bernards and malaysian weather do not go well together. the best thing is to keep them in air-con. there are two types of st. bernards, short -haired and long-haired. the one we mostly see and have in malaysia is the long-haired ironically. well if u can't have an air-con room for them, it is best to keep them fully clipped/shaven (which kind of defeats the purpose of having a beautiful, fluffy st.). it is also costly to actually send them for clipping, unless u can invest in a set of clippers and do it urself. the kennel must also be then in airy and cool. my kennels are built of concrete so it's nice, cool and shady for him. then kennel must also be bigger than normal as it is after all for a giant!

another thing to be prepared for is the big bill for dog food. st. bernards do eat alot and need about 4-5 cups a day. make sure you give split that into two meals a day instead of jiust one, because st. bernards are prone to volvulus which is basically a twist in the intestines. so don't give them to big a meal at one go..... it is also best to feed them good quality kibble to ensure that they do not shed as much hair and their bones and joints stay healthy. because they are such a large breed, they do need plenty of exercise to ensure that they stay fit and their joints stay in good condition. they are prone to joint diseases due to their weight, so be careful not to overfeed them as the extra weight will create more problems for the joints as he ages. i gave my st. bernard glucosamine supplements for his joints which i find is helpful.

st. bernards also have the sweetest and most gentlest temperaments, but they can also be stubborn at times so it is essential to train it as a puppy. because they are so strong and gigantic, it will be really difficult and unsafe to walk an untrained adult st. bernard on the streets. so please train it as a puppy.

umm... wut else.....oh yeah they also drool ALOT!! well mine did anyway. coz of the heat. so be prepared for that! hahaha....other than that, they have the sweetest nature and are a pleasure to own. but again, the most important thing is to keep them cool and ensure they don't overheat. they can easily die of heat stress. and of course it is good if you have a big compound for the dog to wander around in, but even a semi-D compound would be enough, as long as you take it for walks daily. they are definitely NOT suitable for apartments though.

so yeah...hope all that helps to those ppl who are planning to get a st. bernard!

bubbles2004
Novice

Aug 25, 2004, 4:17 PM

Post #31 of 32 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jean Liew] Saint Bernard Anyone ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Jean Liew, your advises really make me think twice for getting a st. bernard. Cool

Wait till i have fulfilled all the conditions for a st. bernard then only I would consider.

For now, my furkid Labrador is good enough.Angelic

Sydney
Doggyman

Oct 18, 2004, 3:14 AM

Post #32 of 32 (938 views)
Shortcut

well, there's Jeniffer. (go 2 me n my dog, go 2 st.bernard puppy.)

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my