Impossible puppy. HELP

wongal
Novice

Dec 4, 2001, 6:42 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Impossible puppy. HELP Can't Post

Crazy
We moved into a new house and in the last two weeks my Basset Hound is even more Stubborn, Destructive and DETERMINED to dig-out. We have put all the fences in the world but she still digs or bolts through the door. She has dived into the common pool, upset all the neighbours as she jumps on their outside furniture after rolling in mud and has 100% a mind of her own. She is well fed, has lots of toys, goes for regular walk and has a big playing compound. Is there some sort of training or device like the wireless dog fence that I can get in KL? I have had other happy dogs but this 7 month old Basset, is driving us to our limit. PLS HELP!

- cheeerz@hotmail.com (KL)

Derrickok
Novice

Dec 6, 2001, 3:04 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wongal] Impossible puppy. HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Wongal,
Welcome to this group. I see that no one has replied to your problem. I am sorry that I must have missed your post.
I will get back to you later on and hope to solve your Basset Hound's problem.
Regards.

Derrickok
Novice

Dec 6, 2001, 4:19 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1806 views)
Shortcut

Here is an extract from a book on Basset Hound.
"Owners are always telling folk about their Basset's roamings, but it is up to owners to see that their properties are adequately fenced. Like beagle, the Basset has a mind of its own: not always obedient-unless it chooses!" Well, wongal, that sums up the characteristics of you Basset.
The way I see it is your Basset being a puppy, is rather playful. There is little one could do if a puppy is going through its puppy stage. I give you an example so that you will understand better perhaps. How could we ask a child going to kindergarten to sit for Form 5 exams. Your Basset therefore, is the reverse. You expect him to behave like a grown up obedient dog when the poor thing is only 7 months old.
I don't advise you to implement punishment on your puppy, because it just won't work. You could however, confine him in a kennel built of bricks and when he is let out he is under supervision at all time.
Later on when he is matured, he should behave himself.
As for wireless dog fence, I presume you are referring to electrical shock fence. I don't think you should even contemplate on this device.
It could also be possible that your dog is not used to the new surroundings. Perhaps given time, he may settle down.
Regards.

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jan 28, 2002, 5:19 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1785 views)
Shortcut

I'm not really an expert, but how about tiring her out? lol. Try taking her for a looonnnggg walk or jog, or play fetch/retrieve with her until she's tired. Alternatively, let her run around in a big, enclosed area. That way all she wants to do after her exercise is sleep! Remember that puppies are hyperactive kids and need a lot of physical and mental stimulation!

-= Tisha =-

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my