Eating poo poo

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

melanie
Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2002, 7:59 PM

Post #1 of 93 (17298 views)
Shortcut
Eating poo poo Can't Post

Hello anyone who can let me know the reason, HELP!

My 3 mths old pup act strangely recently, she will poo poo only in her cage no matter how long time spend outside and last few days, I noticed that she would eat her poo poo!!!Unsure

Thats YUCKS!! I do'nt know what triggered off her action but it is very bad rite..

Anyone please give me some advice.

lilK
Dog Kichi

Aug 9, 2002, 12:50 AM

Post #2 of 93 (17280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melanie] Eating poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there....
my puppy oso eat his own poo poo..
i asked the vet bout this..he told me to get him so multivitamins with mineral..
after giving my pup the multivitamin i realised tat bad habit its still there..."ocassionaly " he will still go eat his own poo poo...
but this multivitamins did help a lil.....and anyway its good for pups...
u might try tat out..

les
K9 Maniac

Aug 9, 2002, 1:02 AM

Post #3 of 93 (17279 views)
Shortcut

Hmm.. I heard that normally Shih Tzu will eat their own poo poo.. WEll.. that is really YUCKS! Pirate But I read abt this post somewhere ard here... that is one solution that u can try..

That is.. pour some pepper on the poo poo... hmm.. You can give it a try.

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

melanie
Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2002, 1:36 AM

Post #4 of 93 (17276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] Eating poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the opinion...it was kind of relieved to me as it is a normal behaviour to many pups!

At first I thought she is sick or what???

Put pepper, well I might try it but she is very fast..you know...

best regards

les
K9 Maniac

Aug 9, 2002, 1:39 AM

Post #5 of 93 (17274 views)
Shortcut

Woww.... she like hot "food" and fresh one I guess.. Smile

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

leopui
K9 Maniac

Aug 9, 2002, 3:48 AM

Post #6 of 93 (17271 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
... it was kind of relieved to me as it is a normal behaviour to many pups ...

Allow me to step in about your statement above ... I would say that is definitely NOT a normal behaviour but it is more onto a BAD Habbit!!!

Do spend extra time with your pet and do the correction on the spot if you could. At the same time, throw some toys to your pet for NEW attention so it may help to avoid the "temptation" of eating the "Poo-Poo".

There are few "effective" way of controlling this bad habbit, try to hit the search key and to find the related post here in Puppy Com.
LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

melanie
Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2002, 5:19 PM

Post #7 of 93 (17261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Eating poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, it is indeed a bad habit! Thanks for the reminder...the next time I saw her eating then I'll punish her,Mad

The problem is she would never want to 'poopoo' and 'weewee' anywhere except her crate... Nomatter how long time spend outside, evening walk also she will keep on 'tahan' till we are back in her crate!

I think, Im starting to get an headache!

lisachew

Aug 9, 2002, 7:36 PM

Post #8 of 93 (17255 views)
Shortcut

I guess a 3 months old pup still not able to tahan long. They will still poo and pee in crate until they reach a certain age where they identified the crate as their sleeping den and playground. Maybe you can let him eat his meal inside or put some toys (if ur not afraid that the toy will get dirty wif poos), just to make him feel welcome in?

I found that dogs wont do their business in the place where they have their meals or sleeps.

I dun think so punishing her physically will do any trick but a stern NO to her when you see her going to eat the poo may help.

I guess now you can try to find a spot where she can go 'potty' whenever you are not free to bring her out? You can use a word to let her understand though.
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

cdmoo
ALPHA

Aug 9, 2002, 8:03 PM

Post #9 of 93 (17253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lisachew] Eating poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

hi lisa,
Refer to your statement:
"I guess a 3 months old pup still not able to tahan long. " . It could be breed dependent also. My 3-month (then) Rex can 'tahan' for 10 - 11 hours.

Melanie, did u get your pup from the petshop ? If so, that may be the problem. As pups from petshop are typically crated day&night, and they just used to relief in their own crate. The next time she discharge again in the crate, u put the discharge (whether poo or pee) on the newspaper and put the newspaper on the garden... and let it dried. Whenever u take him out for a walk in the garden, just go near to the newspaper and see if he'll do his business there...

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

melanie
Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2002, 5:09 PM

Post #10 of 93 (17230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Eating poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

My pup is indeed a mix breed that I adopted her from my friend... Thats why as you mentioned ' is all depent on the breed' !

But she will definetly can 'tahan' her poos/pees for quite sometimes! Today I will follow your advice to put the poos/pees on a newpaper Tongue see whetehr it works for her or not.

Thank you.

moonchild
Novice

Aug 23, 2002, 5:45 AM

Post #11 of 93 (17213 views)
Shortcut

As for eating poo poo, my puppy has that kind of habit too, but after getting him the multivitamin, he dont eat the poo anymore. You just cant leave the poo there, you have to clean it up fast.
Like all the people who reply you, i guess puppies cant really tahan their output. What you have to do is you must let your puppy know which place are for sleeping and which place are for her to do her business. Usually puppies dont do their business on sleeping areas, when you have a place for them to do their business.
For toilet train, you can start with toilet train kits, which can be found in pet shop. Buy the one with drops not spray one.

melanie
Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2002, 6:11 PM

Post #12 of 93 (17205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [moonchild] Eating poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, tks for the suggestion.. Talk abt the housetraining drops you are mentioning, I also have that but it will never worksMad

My pup just ignored it and start to tearing the paper apart!

Walau...I think she need a firm training! Everything is ok for her except that the poo/pee things.

lisachew

Aug 24, 2002, 12:00 AM

Post #13 of 93 (17196 views)
Shortcut

Talking about the housetraining liquid. Mine is not working at all on my Tzu. I even bought 2 types. One is really smelly and another one actually you wont be able to smell the smell unless u spray near ur nose.

So what i did was to use a keyowrd and always shows him where he should do his business. Well, he is housebreak now but accident do happens sometimes. SO i forgive him for that with a stern NO. hahaha

Well, after u show him where he should do business try giving him treats and praise him like wa...SO GRAND!!! SUrely he will remember the place.

PATIENT IS ALWAYS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN HOUSEBREAKING!!
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

lilK
Dog Kichi

Aug 27, 2002, 1:28 PM

Post #14 of 93 (17183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [moonchild] Eating poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah...i 100% agree with u moonchild!

melanie
Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2002, 7:24 PM

Post #15 of 93 (17179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lisachew] Eating poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I guess need to train her really hard and patience, tks for your advice.

Regards

Yuki79
Dog Kichi

Aug 28, 2002, 3:53 AM

Post #16 of 93 (17167 views)
Shortcut

hi Melanie,

will your pup still eating his own poo-poo now? my just bought a silky terrier, abt 2 mths. he also eating his poo-poo!!!!!!! Mad

this few day i just get some medicine from vet n give him eat.......but still cant work leh...... Unsure

when i said "NO" he stop eating but no ppl around he eat it.......alamak!!!!!

the vet said puppy eat his own poo-poo may due to imbalance in nutrition. just like ppl like to chew finger nail.......haha.......

if ur pup already stop the bad habit, pls tell me ok.......Laugh

regards,

Yuki Shocked

melanie
Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2002, 4:38 PM

Post #17 of 93 (17159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yuki79] Eating poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Yuki,

Nice to meet you!

Yes, mine does stop eating her own poo. What I did was to immediately clean her poos away after she finish so she has no chance to eat itCool

I will monitor until she poo only then I go to work but I do not know what happen when I am not around.

I think we cannot scold coz the more we srceam, she will eat more fastCrazy

Regards

wkser
ALPHA

Aug 28, 2002, 6:19 PM

Post #18 of 93 (17156 views)
Shortcut

coprophagia-eating feces....many puppies eat their own or even other dog's feces...the reasons for this vary........diet man be one of the factor,as may lack of confidence...many dogs eat eat the feces of other animals,such as horse or cow dung...it seems to be a doggie delicacy...........For the dog, it isn't...however humans find this behavior most unpleasant and certainly don't want to kiss their puppy afterward!........helath and hygiene may be compromised through this behaviour..........check to ensure that your puppy's diet suit him...try a change if you are suspicious that this may be an influence......make sure that you wait woth your puppy while he goes to the toilet and then immediately clear up the feces.......be calm and quiet about this.....some pups may resort to this behaviour if they are inadvertently rewarded by your agitation...teching your puppy a really reliable "off" and "leave"command also helps........

regards

Yuki79
Dog Kichi

Aug 28, 2002, 11:26 PM

Post #19 of 93 (17148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Eating poo poo [In reply to] Can't Post

hi everybody,

teach him command such as off/leave? it really cant work to my pup cos he is too naught n non-stop playing, running, digging n......hold him he will bite ur finger!! Mad

i did clean up his poo-poo when he finished. but at nite we can't clean it!! the next morning i sure see some little poo-poo here n some over there under his cage!

the most effective way is to stop this bad habit n is not clean it up. cos only we can clean it up while we saw it.......how abt we r not around?Mad

some ppl said his can digest properly so his output still have the food smell......that's y he eat it poo-poo .......is tat true??? Laugh

will they have the same habit when they grow up to maturity stage??? Unsure

regards,

Yuki Shocked

wkser
ALPHA

Aug 29, 2002, 7:00 PM

Post #20 of 93 (17138 views)
Shortcut

hi yuki,
i might have a way to teach you to teach your puppy a leave/off command....you can try it..............
make sure you are somewhere calm and quiet.Hold a treat in your hand and close your finger tightly around it.
present your hand to the pup and wait while he sniff ,licks and nibbles,trying to get the food.Do not say anything
watch carefully ,as soon as your puppy take his nose away from your hand even for a split secong,click or use your clciker word,then give the treat
repeat several times
now repeat the exercise but this time wait until the pup has taken hi nose away from your hand for the count to two then click and treat
build up the amount of time that your pup will wait with his nose well away from your hand to about 10 sec.......at this point you can add in the cue word- "leave" or "off" ....in a calm ,quiet voice,not a threatening one
once your puppy repeat the exercise but this time say "off" or "leave" then present the food on your open hand...if the puppy tries to take it ,simply close your fingers around the food do not jerk your hand.....
over a period of repetitions most puppies rapidly learn that the word "off " or "leave" means that they must not touch...............and this can be extended to object on the floor ,outside and also poo poo...

regards

Yuki79
Dog Kichi

Aug 29, 2002, 8:16 PM

Post #21 of 93 (17134 views)
Shortcut

hi wkser,

quite interesting the way u teach the pup leave/off. anyway i'll try it.

but......eh how he know the "Leave" word is ask him go away? ur hand got food sure he will sniff n bite ur hand n try to get the food!! Unsure

anyway, i found tat my pup won eat his shit after took the medicine for abt 2 days....... Laugh

do ur pup do grooming b4?

how to teach ur pup not to bite ppl's fingers n toes? when i said No he will run away but come again to u later leh...... Frown

regards,

Yuki Shocked

wkser
ALPHA

Aug 29, 2002, 11:39 PM

Post #22 of 93 (17130 views)
Shortcut

hi yuki,
emm......hopefully the leave/off command will work for your pup also......i think when afetr you he got the command he will understand of leave meant he got to let it go.......hopefull with this he will not bite your finger anymore..........
grooming........i own a labbie he is six month old ...he never been to grooming before...Smile.........

regards

Yuki79
Dog Kichi

Aug 30, 2002, 6:50 AM

Post #23 of 93 (17119 views)
Shortcut

hi wkser,

thanks for ur kindness.

2day i try the hold some food n closer my finger, he did come but din sniff it and just know bite my hand.......alamak.......!!!!!

anyway, do ur 6 mths old silky finished his teething already. how long it take?

does pup sensitive to his nose touches the water when we give them showering?

regards,

Yuki Shocked

wkser
ALPHA

Aug 30, 2002, 7:08 PM

Post #24 of 93 (17108 views)
Shortcut

hi yuki,
my labbie had his teething last month menat during his 5 months....he is 6 months now....i think his teeth is fully grown now.......my nous nous sometimes will get sensitive when bathing....he will sneeze a few times........Smile

regards

Yuki79
Dog Kichi

Aug 31, 2002, 4:32 AM

Post #25 of 93 (17098 views)
Shortcut

hi wkser,

so ur labbie still biting?

nous nous u mean is his nose? so is it ok if we showering his face n nose?

regards,

Yuki Shocked

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my