Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Is it normal for a dog to be scared of thunder & lightning?

ber
Novice

Aug 15, 2003, 1:45 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Is it normal for a dog to be scared of thunder & lightning? Can't Post

My dog starts to shiver and pants heavily when there is thunder and lightning.

She can even sense the rain coming even before it starts. Or when there's string wind or dark skies.

She will hide under the bed or run between my legs.

Even hugging her won't help.

She calms down when the rain has stopped.

This is quite distressing because she tends to loose weight during rainy seasons, and i can't do any work as she will be in my path.

Kowie
ALPHA

Aug 15, 2003, 2:39 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ber] Is it normal for a dog to be scared of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

It's quite normal for dogs to be scared of thunder and lightning. However, you can train your dog to not be scared but this like all training will take time and patience.

I got this off an Animal Planet programme and it works on my Ah Kow.

1. Keep your dog distracted by playing games with it, etc. 2. Do not reward your dog for it's scared behaviour. This will reinforce it and make your dog think that it is the "right" thing to do. Rewards would be hugs, etc. Reward her for not being scared.Wink

This may seem a little harsh but with time your dogs behaviour will improve.Smile Ah Kow is 70% rehabilitated and it took me about a year to get her to stop barking, shivering and peeing during a storm. Best of luck!

Frown Kowie, Ah Kow & Whitie Frown

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 15, 2003, 3:30 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ber] Is it normal for a dog to be scared of thunder & lightning? [In reply to] Can't Post

kowie's right

best you can do is keep her mind of the rain and thunder. if possible in a room where everything is as quiet and calm as possible.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

JolinG
Doggyman

Aug 15, 2003, 11:16 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1101 views)
Shortcut

hie ber
i geuss some dogs are just scared of thunder & lightning.
theres a herbal remedy for it to help your dog to be more calm actually. or u could try putting her in the room with the tv on or radio on so she would be distracted? then wont be scared to much?

Terry
K9 Kaki

Aug 16, 2003, 10:26 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1093 views)
Shortcut

Its very normal ..... wait till Chinese New Year !

TerryLaugh

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my