Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Press the kibble, refused to eat???

ymon
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 6:24 PM

Post #1 of 12 (1794 views)
Shortcut
Press the kibble, refused to eat??? Can't Post

Hi, my rottie is 6.5 months old now. For the past few weeks she likes to use her nose and mouth to press the kibbles and circle around the bowl refuse to eat (make some noise too). Can anyone help me how to let her eat her meal? I changed her food from Pro-plan to Science Diet original now on lamb and rice she still act the same. I have tried to take away her food few times and also tried mixed with milk (she will eat a bit then), even tried to use hand to feed her personally. I worry she doesn't eat enough.Frown

Thank you for any helps.

Maggie

poor_me
Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2003, 7:04 PM

Post #2 of 12 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ymon] Press the kibble, refused to eat??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Maggie,

I dunno if it is the same for ur rottie, but my Pekingese went through a non-eating stage when he was about 5 months old. We just leave the food and he eventually will go gobble it it much later when we ain't looking / when he gets too hungry to be choosy about his food. It worried me then. He eventually broke away from the 'hunger strike'.

But after going through that stage is started being even greedier. He gobbled too much. He became so fat that we started reducing he food portions. Fat might be cute but far from healthy.

Nevertheless, to get a comfort level for yourself, the is no harm bringing him to the vet to check if there might be some illness that causes his apetite change.

Regards,
Alan

kingkong
Canine Addict

Aug 14, 2003, 7:31 PM

Post #3 of 12 (1786 views)
Shortcut

i always modify the resipi...... today kibble + milk, after few days, kibble + vegi, then kibble + 'doggieman' some dog treats. some Vet don recommand changing food so frequent, but i think dog prefer more variety food as human are. try milo + kibble, my sushi like it so much. hope it works.....

Regards,
Eric with Sushi, a long-coat chihuahua.

Trivor
K9 Servant

Aug 14, 2003, 8:08 PM

Post #4 of 12 (1784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [poor_me] Press the kibble, refused to eat??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Alan,
Did you do anything to stop the hunger strike? or he just recovered himself?

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

poor_me
Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2003, 8:26 PM

Post #5 of 12 (1784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Press the kibble, refused to eat??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi SC,

Well I tried feeding him piece-by-piece which got him to take a few but not too much. Then we tried using a new brand of kibble - didn't work either. We gave up and then just left the food, he will only eat about one bowl a day (he usually takes two).

Eventually, dunno for what reason, he started eating again. This time with a vengeance. Mood swings I guess.

IN short (yes, I am a bit long winded Smile), yes recovered by himself.

Regards,
Alan

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 14, 2003, 9:01 PM

Post #6 of 12 (1782 views)
Shortcut

hi,

maybe u could tried, as king kong mentioned, mix with other stuffs to encourage more appetite.

for my case i feed my dog kibbles and Yoghurt (one tablespoon, original flavour).

my dog was really frustatring at that age and refused to eat anything at all (he will just sit there and do a "bye bye" to the dog food).

u could of course be stone hearted to just leave the food there for fifteen minutes, and if they don't eat, keep the food and let them skip the meal. repeat this process until they start eating. dogs are smart, they will eat when they really know there's no other option on the recipe.

it is hard for us dog owners to do this, i personally find it hard to do this myself (so i ended up feeding him yoghurt+kibbles :/ )

regards,
hunter

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 14, 2003, 10:09 PM

Post #7 of 12 (1778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kingkong] Press the kibble, refused to eat??? [In reply to] Can't Post

milo?

doesn't milo contain chocolate?? which is deadly to dogs.. Unsure
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Trivor
K9 Servant

Aug 14, 2003, 10:09 PM

Post #8 of 12 (1777 views)
Shortcut

oh I C... Trivor is on hunger strike again... I'm kinda worry as she is already so skinny, with the "diet plan", she will go skeleton... Crazy
we have changed brands, mixed with can food, mixed with soup... and we just want to put a stop... Pirate
oh, hope she will get over it!!! I would rather let her eat like hungry ghost than not eating...
So, do you cut down his diet?

~ Trivor ~

poor_me
Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2003, 10:32 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Press the kibble, refused to eat??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep we cut down on his diet, but only a little, when we realised he is a little too fat for his own good. Reduce a little from his b-fast and a little from his dinner. Got it right I think, he seems to be in good shape now.

Have you checked his mouth? I know that canines can sometimes get an ulcer (?? dunno what u call it - like sac of saliva bubble near the tongue) in their mouth if they break the skin in their mouth after biting something they shouldn't have (naughty naughty). Might ruin their appetite.

If only we mere humans can read the dogs' mind. Good luck with Trivor.

Regards,
Alan.

(This post was edited by poor_me on Aug 14, 2003, 11:15 PM)

mackmack
Doggyman

Aug 14, 2003, 10:47 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1773 views)
Shortcut

ymon,

My way for such a case is:

"you don't eat, I'll take the bowl away after 30 minutes." and let him skip one meal. But this only apply to when he's still acting healthy and notti.

Once a while, they will have min. appetite of the *month*. Don't worry.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

Trivor
K9 Servant

Aug 15, 2003, 5:33 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1758 views)
Shortcut

THank you so much Alan...
She eats a little bid but still unable to finish all... lemme check her mouth for any sign of ulcer... I doubt about it as I gave her breads with peanut butter yesterday, she finished within a sec Crazy I guess she is just being very picky... gosh~
I hope she can get over her "diet plan" soon~Unsure

~ Trivor ~

ymon
Novice

Aug 15, 2003, 6:45 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1754 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for all your infors. I tried to add milk but after two three times, she doesn't eat again. Tried to add cheese, she just pick the cheese only! Nowaday after one hour I will just take the food away. But "heartache" so worry she will be hungry.Unsure I will check for mouth ulcer. We will bring her to the vet soon because we would like to spay her. I hope this is just a temporary sign.

Thanks,

Maggie

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my