Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Nail cutting for BOBO

Ellietan
Novice

Aug 12, 2003, 5:12 AM

Post #1 of 24 (3143 views)
Shortcut
Nail cutting for BOBO Can't Post

I have problem whenever I wanna cut my BOBO's nails!!Mad He is a Shih Tsu mixed with Pekinese. He would never let me cut his nails! When I take the nail cutter, he will run off, and will never come close to me again. I need to 'belanja' him makan then only he will come close to me....I tried to get my sister to help to hold his head tightly, and I failed again.....now he likes to scratch my tiles everytime when he feels he likes to....Crazy ....Please help Unsure

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 12, 2003, 7:52 AM

Post #2 of 24 (3127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ellietan] Nail cutting for BOBO [In reply to] Can't Post

been thru that...Sly
at first my dog hates her nail cutting session...i did it by using force and i would reward her with treats after cutting all her nails..few more times and wohlah she gladly let me cut her nails...maybe you could try it out

or you could bring your dog for those pet grooming services...after your dog got use to it,you can do it yourself....

hope it will help

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 12, 2003, 8:37 AM

Post #3 of 24 (3124 views)
Shortcut

hi,

for my dog, when first introducing the nail clipper i'd let him lie by his side.. talk to him.. massage him... and then only slowly take out the big clippers >:)

if u hold the dog tightly the dog will probably feel something is not right and might relate the nail clipper to that... hence being more afraid to the nail clippers. so, try whatever possible way to relieve the tension and slowly introducing the concept to bobo.. when u managed to cut his nail, praise praise praise, treat treat treat :)

btw, don't cut too much of the nails...will end up bleeding, and creating nail-cutting-phobia again. happened to my dog last time :p

regards,
hunter

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2003, 7:07 PM

Post #4 of 24 (3119 views)
Shortcut

my baobao used to hate nails cutting also... so my sis will hug him and then i'll cut it...... few times.. and w/ treats... he's quite ok now..

Ellietan
Novice

Aug 12, 2003, 10:13 PM

Post #5 of 24 (3110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] Nail cutting for BOBO [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Icezcream......I have tried that before.......BOBO still dun allow me to cut his nails Frown, I think he did not trust me Unsure

Ellietan
Novice

Aug 12, 2003, 10:23 PM

Post #6 of 24 (3109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Nail cutting for BOBO [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Hunter,

I used to send BOBO for grooming last time (usually once a year...before CNY lah), and he should be ready for nail cutting session....I admit I am the one to cause himself the nail cutting phobia, becoz of my careless, he ended up bleeding once. After the accident, he would never let me cut his nailUnsure.

Before I start my session, I will just talk to him, tell him to be more confident on me this time, and he will stare at me...I think he is worried Crazy at the moment....and when I take out the nail clipper.....he starts his action.....struggle and run!! It is very tiring everytime I wanna cut his nails.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 12, 2003, 10:30 PM

Post #7 of 24 (3104 views)
Shortcut

hi,

ohh.. so there's accident before :p no wonder he's so afraid. hehe. can't blame him... this fellow is acting smart :)

maybe u could continue to take for grooming... the groomers will definitely have their methods to cut his nails. then give him some time, later then only u try to cut for him the nails again :/

regards,
hunter

Ellietan
Novice

Aug 12, 2003, 10:44 PM

Post #8 of 24 (3103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Nail cutting for BOBO [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Hunter. Smile

BOBO is very 'down' these few days, he eats very less, and he doent want to bark at stranger, he walks very slow, and do not like to swing his tail when he sees us coming home from work (he use to swing his tail up and down when he sees us back from work)....my mom said he probably got shocked when one day my brother played 'roller coaster' with him --> throw him to the sky and hold when he falls. Thats made me Mad !!! How bad my brother is!!

How to get my dog active then......?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 12, 2003, 10:46 PM

Post #9 of 24 (3102 views)
Shortcut

hi,

aiyo why do roller coaster with him!??

i don't know... hmph. maybe u could play around with him and lighten up his mood... he probably wants more attention from u after all that r.coaster experience :p

regards,
hunter

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 1:45 AM

Post #10 of 24 (3096 views)
Shortcut

alamak...hehe...your brother very evil la...like my brother...
or maybe you could try bringing BOBO to new places...like parks and etc....let him run about and etc..i think that will fix his day...

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Aug 13, 2003, 5:41 AM

Post #11 of 24 (3091 views)
Shortcut

hi ellie

well a bad experience is always remembered by a dog..tht's why u need to gain his trust again..by doing it slowly..play with his paws or train him to shake hand..so that he does not think tht everytime u try to touch his paws is nail clipping time...!Smile if tht doesnt work but u have to get someone to hold him tightly and cut..but do it bit by bit..so tht u would not hurt him again..some dogs are a bit timid but after they know tht u would not harm them then they'll settle down fast..force is not always bad provided u know how to use it and when..hmm as for ur furkid is down this few days..i think u should let him give him a place where he can feeel safe and allow him to do whtever he feels and talk to him gently and pat him...gain his confidence...tis might take a while though...anyway hope he'll be a happy pooch soon...
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

lulugurl
ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 7:37 AM

Post #12 of 24 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Hie

Once when we bring Jaz for her grooming, the groomer cut the nails till they bleed. We only discover that when we reach home. After that, we have a difficult time touching her paws. But we keep on touchin her paw..so now, she is no longer traumatic when we use the nail clipper on herSmile
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

Ellietan
Novice

Aug 13, 2003, 7:32 PM

Post #13 of 24 (3078 views)
Shortcut

Hi icezcream...

Yeah, evil brother and evil father as well...they both are EVIL. I always tell BOBO to stay away from them, at least 2 ft from them!

After I read all the posting here, I brought him for walk ..his depression seems to be gone!! He run happily, and after the walk, he finished his food!!! Sly, and I noticed he barks again....

It is soooooo Happy to get him back, thanks for all of you that provides your very good idea Smile.

jacng
Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2003, 10:50 PM

Post #14 of 24 (3075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] Nail cutting for BOBO [In reply to] Can't Post

eh hem....

since we are on the topic of nail cutting, i would just like to inquire on how short should we cut our furkid's nails?

i am not sure and therefore will normally trim just a bit.... and sometimes after trimming, i feel that the nails are even more sharp that before trimming bcoz the nails although short is now more tajam... but after hearing so many stories on bleeding, i dare not cut too deep.... now i cut until the nail is abt 1.5 cm from the pad... is that ok?

jac

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 14, 2003, 2:57 AM

Post #15 of 24 (3070 views)
Shortcut

glad BOBO is back to his normal self...

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 14, 2003, 5:10 AM

Post #16 of 24 (3069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jacng] Nail cutting for BOBO [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry jacng.....now back on track..let's talk about nail cutting...

may i ask what nail cutter are you using??

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Aug 14, 2003, 5:59 AM

Post #17 of 24 (3066 views)
Shortcut

hi jac,

welll 1.5cm should be fine..as long as the nails doesnt touch the floor then its fine...but it all depends on individual as some dogs flesh in the nail which is called 'quick' grown out longer therefore u cant cut it like others as their flesh are growing out..but its easier if ur dog's nail is white then u can judge it easier compared to those black nails..black nails is hard to judge where is the quick..u cant see it but thru experience then u'll be able to do it..have fun!Smile
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

jacng
Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2003, 5:01 PM

Post #18 of 24 (3061 views)
Shortcut

Hi...

The nail cutter that I am using is like the one sold on the online shop in puppy.com... the one specially for cutting nails...

Jac

jacng
Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2003, 5:07 PM

Post #19 of 24 (3061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ritchie_dog] Nail cutting for BOBO [In reply to] Can't Post

oic...

Thanks for the info... the nails are not touching the floor... Only thing is if my furkid is in a playful mood, he will jump on you and will scratch youlah... even after i cut his nails.... maybe after i cut his nails, the "hujung" of the nails is sharper kwah... something like human nails.. have to file after cutting.... any solution to that?

I did not know about the "quick"... No wonder sometimes when I tried to cut his nails, he will yelp but sometimes OK... Should be terkena the "quick". But luckily, I did not paksa him.... if not sure bleeding one... but it's difficult to differentiate the "quick" with nails as his nails are black in color. No wonder I dun know abt the quick....

jac

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 15, 2003, 7:46 AM

Post #20 of 24 (3051 views)
Shortcut

hello jacng...

i had this nail clipper which was horrible..it was brand new but after cutting, i get rough edges..causes pain whenever my dogs jump onto me...so i use sand paper to smoothen the rough edges...kinna troublesome...
got a better one from Giant...was way better than the first one...

Elly
ALPHA

Aug 15, 2003, 8:13 AM

Post #21 of 24 (3050 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ellie,

Am Elly here. Wink I have the same problem with you too. My basset hound, Sasha hates nail cutting.

Whenever I wanna cut Sasha's nails..she will bite me. And sometimes if she manage to grab the cutter...she will bring the cutter somewhere else. Crazy

Out of no choice, I just leave it as it is. She will bite her nails sometimes, so I dont really care that much. Everytime when I bring her to the gathering, Everyone will say:" hey, your Sasha's nails r too long....". hahaha...got used to it liau. Cool

Ellietan
Novice

Aug 16, 2003, 8:04 PM

Post #22 of 24 (3044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Elly] Nail cutting for BOBO [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Elly

Everyone seems to face the same problemCrazy....

BOBO scratches the floor everytime he wants...I also get used to it already, as long as he does not scratch on the wooden furniture..... u know, once he knows that piece of wood can be scratch, he will do it now and forever....

Have to try to cut his nail this afternoon....test if he has forgotten the accident ;)

Elly
ALPHA

Aug 16, 2003, 11:54 PM

Post #23 of 24 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Good Luck!~~Wink

I've gave up long time ago....the moment I take out the cutter....she will go far far ~~~.....let her be lah! kekekeke..LaughUnimpressed

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Aug 19, 2003, 8:33 PM

Post #24 of 24 (3030 views)
Shortcut

hi jac,

well its a bit hard lor since ur dog's nails are black...yes of cos u can file ur dog's nail...u can get it from a pet shop...file after cutting definitely will help...or else u'll get scratches all over u..Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my