Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
JRT Owner Wannabe

Cassandra
New User

Jul 24, 2002, 10:33 AM

Post #1 of 22 (5798 views)
Shortcut
JRT Owner Wannabe Can't Post

Hey all, I'm really new to this site and I have to say this is a really closely knitted community! Bravo! As the subject title indicates, I'm interested in getting a Jack Russell but still am doing more research before committing into it. From the research that I've done, it sounds as if a JRT is not an 'easy' to be maintained puppy, not to say that maintaining any other breed would be easy!

ok ok, first and foremost, I understand that it is presumably better to get this JRT baby that I want from a 'reputable' breeder and that I can find a list of such breeders from MKA. No problem, the place I live at is near the office. I went to this petshop in Taipan and an imported JRT costs about RM2.5k while a call to a breeder (I acquired the no. from this site) told me that an imported JRT costs RM4k. Can someone explain to me the reason behind the difference?

Also, I've read that JRT are really active REALLY REALLY hyper. Maybe some JRT owners can tell me how true is this and to what extent? Share with me your experiences with your JRT!

Thanks Smile and bravo again for this awesome website, fully 'Buatan Malaysia'!

Cassandra
New User

Jul 24, 2002, 10:37 AM

Post #2 of 22 (5796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cassandra] JRT Owner Wannabe [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, BTW I'm from KL! Here's a cuppa mocha for everyone in the house!

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jul 24, 2002, 5:02 PM

Post #3 of 22 (5788 views)
Shortcut

hi cassandra,
Welcome to the forum!

Oh.. u also saw the two JRTs in Taipan? Aren't they cute?

I'm sure ur questions will be answered by some of our JRT fans here..
Have fun!

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

wkser
ALPHA

Jul 24, 2002, 6:28 PM

Post #4 of 22 (5781 views)
Shortcut

hi cassandra,
welcome to the dog owner world forum.........jrt is a very active dog.........have a nice day.........

wkser

les
K9 Maniac

Jul 24, 2002, 11:13 PM

Post #5 of 22 (5767 views)
Shortcut

Welcome Cassandra,

I think there is abt 2 or more that owns JRT.. which the most active in this forum I think it will be Ginl.. Heard that JRT is quite hyper active.. Smile

If I go to any pet shop, will try look out for u.. Smile

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

toffee
Novice

Jul 25, 2002, 2:24 AM

Post #6 of 22 (5757 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cassandra

Welcome to the forum. You can also read the INtroduction further down entitled 'My JRT Joey' owned by Sheila. Joey's really cute. You could also come down to the Padang on Sundays and speak to the JRT owners there...

Cheryl

ginl
ALPHA

Jul 25, 2002, 4:20 AM

Post #7 of 22 (5750 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cassandra,

Welcome to the forum....JRTs are a very energetic breed....they need a lot of exercise, otherwise they'll get bored and when they get bored they tend to get destructive and that means bye-bye to your new furniture Wink

www.terrier.com ....this is a very good site on JRTs if you want to learn more....they tell you practically everything you need to know about JRTs and their behaviours....they're extremely intelligent and you hv to keep finding ways to outsmart them, otherwise they will train you instead....I take mine out at least twice a day for either walks or romp around a field or beach....if I don't take him out at all, you can see he gets hyper at home....plus I hv to always find new interesting games to play with mine....since you are in KL you shd go to the obedience class and check out Joey which belongs to Andrew and Sheila....frm there you will more or less see how a typical JRT behaves.

(This post was edited by ginl on Jul 25, 2002, 4:25 AM)

tingkeling
New User

Jul 25, 2002, 8:52 AM

Post #8 of 22 (5743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] JRT Owner Wannabe [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow I didn't expect that many replies so fast :) Like I said, this is one close community, and I'm fine with that :) Anyway yes Moo I did see the pair of JRT in Taipan. Really really SSOOOOOO cute! Shocked Was thinking of getting it from that petshop... Is that considered a 'reputable' breeder? Maybe he's one of us here?

Anyway I did some reading on JRT and I DID go to the terrier.com site. Got a lot of advice, basically when I was told by the site (through this test) that it was pretty suitable for me to get a JRT. But STILL! I'll like to be 'surer' before I commit myself. I mean, this is a life we are talking about... like a real baby Smile

I would love to go to the Padang Merbuk (is that where its at?) to check out the training session. Are public welcomed to come look see look see? :) Malu lar if get chased away! Blush So when is the next session?

No one has explained to me yet of the price difference for the imported JRTs... can someone do that?

BTW there are a lot of talks about buying from petshop... how do we know which ones are the ethical ones?

Its so tough buying your first doggy!!!

tingkeling
New User

Jul 25, 2002, 8:57 AM

Post #9 of 22 (5742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] JRT Owner Wannabe [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Don't worry I don't think you're a lesbian Wink although I did think so for a while in the beginning hehe! Anyway just wanna inform you that your pug is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute! or is that not a pug?

All my life, before last 2 weeks I've always been afraid of doggies... It's a long story, my neighbour's dog (can't remember what breed) stood on his hinds and licked me! But suddenly I fell in love with them. I think it was my cousin's shih tzu that started that attractionSmile

Tell me about pugs then..... easy to maintain? intelligent? exercise?

Anyway I'm from TTDI, used to study in Sunway! What do you do Les? You sound just like my kinda girl... hyper and all Wink

les
K9 Maniac

Jul 25, 2002, 10:59 AM

Post #10 of 22 (5738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tingkeling] JRT Owner Wannabe [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHello again,

Glad to hear from you, Smile Well.. yes.. I'm female.. haha Wink The pug is so cute.. so adorable.. And they are quite easy to maintain.. they are like barkless".. seldom hear them bark.. haha.. suitable for those who is staying in aprtment or condo.. Smile Pug no need much exercise.. but they will gain weight and look more like a pig then a pug.. well.. think this is why they are so great/woderful/cute! Angelic

Haha... webmaster also a pug lover.. This is the 2nd pug that I have.. the 1st died old age.. She is really great and intelligent.. Sunny(current puppy) He is really hyperactive and very the manja.. haha.. Laugh

Happy hunting on JRT!

Laugh

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jul 25, 2002, 5:36 PM

Post #11 of 22 (5730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tingkeling] JRT Owner Wannabe [In reply to] Can't Post

hi tengkeling,

The way u answered those questions made me feel that u r Cassandra! If not, would u like to introduce urself abit more in this section, pls?
Those JRTs in Taipan are imported ones. Now, we always tend to be confused about "imported". U need to ask the breeder/pet shop owners what exactly is meant by "imported". Basically 2 meanings: (1) The puppy was born locally, but its parents were imported into M'sia. (2). The puppy was born overseas (eg. Australia), and brought into M'sia. For the latter, it tends to be more expensive becoz' they need to cover the transportation, admin fees etc.. etc.. In most cases, the pup will cost more if it has a 'championship' bloodline. That means one of its ancestors was/is a Champion. the cert of that pup will have those info.

Those imported JRTs in Taipan are sold more than $2,000. No, the owner at that pet shop does not breed JRT. I dunno about local vs imported JRTs, but in terms of Labrador / Golden retriever puppies, there r noticeable differences.. The imported ones are generally big-boned & larger size. If u r really interested in the JRT @ Taipan, send me a personal email..

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

wkser
ALPHA

Jul 25, 2002, 6:23 PM

Post #12 of 22 (5726 views)
Shortcut

hi cassandra,
did you see another pairs of JRT in subang jaya they are also imported....they look more energetic..........till then bye

regards

sheila
Novice

Aug 13, 2002, 6:29 PM

Post #13 of 22 (5703 views)
Shortcut

Hai Ginl

It's been a long time since i last log in. How's mummy and biscuits doing in training. My Joey just started traing early July and she's doing pretty good but do get distracted now and then . In fact the instructor says she is too attached to me. Got to be more strict with her but don't have the heart, she is so adorable when she crooks her head and look up at me. That's when anything goes...

sheila
Novice

Aug 13, 2002, 6:51 PM

Post #14 of 22 (5699 views)
Shortcut

Hai Cassandra

I'm Sheila, the proud owner of a JRT that Ginl told you about (Members Intro: My JRT Joey). It's been a long time since I log into this site and I saw your interest on JRTs. My Joey has started classes at the Padang Merbok in PJ and you are most welcome to play and experience her on any sundays 5-6pm. Better still if you are staying in Subang Jaya USJ 16 you can see how hyper she is, but with training I believe everything is possible. They are very active dogs. Although my Joey likes to think that she is of the size of a German Sherpard, she likes to play with big dogs. Exercising her is very important or she will turn into a destroyer. I've tried where I did not walk her for 2 days and the next day my house was full of shreded newspapaers. So I make it a apoint when I can't walk the dog I bribe my nephew to do it. I'm proud to say that my Joey did not destroy any thing in my previous home, she was very well toilet trained and only does her business in the spare toilet. Now in the new house she is still learning about her surroundings and accidents happens too. Partly because we always closed all the toilet doors too and she's confused.

She seems to understand your moods and sense when you are feeling down. Basically a small dog who thinks big and with a mind of his own.
Trust me you won't regret it. Give it all the love you have and in return you got a friend in your dog. No questions ask. Good luck

boon
Doggyman

Aug 13, 2002, 11:15 PM

Post #15 of 22 (5694 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I had check with my friend that work for K9, the main different between the fully imported Jack Russel is about Rm 4 to 5K.

You can get the RM 2.5K JRT is because his/her parent are both imported and the puppies were born locally.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

ginl
ALPHA

Aug 13, 2002, 11:54 PM

Post #16 of 22 (5690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheila] JRT Owner Wannabe [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Sheila Smile....we're doing good thanks....I just got him neutered last week....thank goodness we survived the whole week before his stitches got out....he had to wear the doggie collar heheh....I'm glad Joey is doing well in her class....our classes here hv been moved frm Komtar car park to a field...he was doing ok when we were in the car park but after we moved to the field and with all the grass and trees and all those new scents around, he's getting distracted all over again Unsure (sigh)

And yes you don't hv to say, everyone tells me the same thing....that i'm not firm enough or i manja him too much lol.....but they are just so adorable u just can't help but manja them Smile

Cassandra
New User

Aug 14, 2002, 9:51 AM

Post #17 of 22 (5676 views)
Shortcut

Nice Sheila... Sounds like your baby's really cute. Well I haven't posted for sometime, because we are still waiting for my fiancee's maid approval. Basically she's the one who's gonna be at home with the puppy most of the day when everyone else is at work or school Sly I hope we get to get the baby :) Anyway.. would there be any difference between a REAL imported JRT or a locally breed JRT? Sheila? Maybe you can help me out here!

I hope I get a doggie... I hope I get the doggie... at first it was my fiancee who wanted the doggie... and when I'm all enthusiastic about it, he just keeps quiet... *sighs*

ginl
ALPHA

Aug 19, 2002, 2:42 AM

Post #18 of 22 (5641 views)
Shortcut

Hey Sheila....Biscuit just passed his CGC exam! Got the shock of my life when he decided to be very obedient during the exam....either that or he remembered the talk i gave him the night before...if he doesn't behave no food for 2 weeks Tongue....so now on to pre-novice...eeekkk

les
K9 Maniac

Aug 19, 2002, 3:18 AM

Post #19 of 22 (5639 views)
Shortcut

Congrates!

Laugh

lisachew

Aug 19, 2002, 3:51 PM

Post #20 of 22 (5632 views)
Shortcut

hahah thats the funniest thing that you will get from dog...when you are really gonna give up or ....out of a sudden....they will listen n do as what u says....

CONGRATES!!!!
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

sheila
Novice

Aug 19, 2002, 4:21 PM

Post #21 of 22 (5630 views)
Shortcut

Hai Congrates to Biscuits and mummy. Joey still has a long way to go as her attention is always on things around her and not me.FrownMadMad and her moves are not perfect. To me as long as she does it but the trainer says it should be corrected right now itself. I know he meant good but my joey is so so so STURBORN........

ginl
ALPHA

Aug 19, 2002, 11:39 PM

Post #22 of 22 (5615 views)
Shortcut

Thanks all Laugh....i am so so proud of him.

Sheila, Biscuit is always like that also....he pays more attention to his surroundings than me most of the time, especially if there are new dogs around, he'll want to go check them out....i think Joey shd be better than him coz he is absolutely obessessed with other dogs Crazy, but come the actual day he knew how to behave himself.....and it's true just as i was about to give up hope and all he went and do a thing like this and make me proud.....u just gotta love them for it Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my