Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Bull headed puppy

dobermannkl
Novice

Aug 8, 2003, 10:37 PM

Post #1 of 13 (1568 views)
Shortcut
Bull headed puppy Can't Post

Hi, I am getting a bit impatience with my puppy and hope someone can give me some advise.

My Dobermann puppy is very energetic which is fine by me. Lately, she has been very destructive towards everything that she sees each time we let her out from the kennel. She destroys plants, eats soil, digs holes, eats plastic begs, chew plastic container....etc. She must find something to chew/eat in every minute. She has her own toys but she prefer others.

I tried to stop her from destroying the plants but she keep repeating the same offense minute after I whacked her. She never learn her lesson no matter how hard I whack her. She show her teeth and even want to bite my hand when I hit her.

I try not to use much force towards my puppy. Can anybody suggest how I should train my bull headed puppy?

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 9, 2003, 4:06 AM

Post #2 of 13 (1556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dobermannkl] Bull headed puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

hmm...how old is she?

how much time do you play with her? how often do you take her out for walks?

she shows her teeth when you try to whack her? show her teeth playfully or was she growling too? try to find if she growls at you, say with a deep voice "no" and whack her again. maybe even cage her up as punishement. remember to praise her for good behaviour.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2003, 6:58 AM

Post #3 of 13 (1553 views)
Shortcut

maybe she feels that she is not given enough attention by u??

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 9, 2003, 9:05 PM

Post #4 of 13 (1547 views)
Shortcut

hi,

yeah, boredom leads to destruction. she's still small, so be patient. it's not easy to train a young puppy.

u have to shout NO when she glares her teeth at you. if not no matter how hard u whack her she don't know what do u want.

regards,
hunter

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 9, 2003, 10:32 PM

Post #5 of 13 (1546 views)
Shortcut

She's still a puppy.. sometimes instead of pointing out what the dog has done wrong, you might want to look at the owner as well.. are you spending enough time with your dog, and are you always there to tell her "NO" when she does something wrong?? They are not human, "NO" has to be repeated a few times in order for them to GET IT... and once they have GOT IT, reward them..

Perhaps the dog is doing all this to seek attention.... Doberman are very loyal dogs... try spending more time and see if it makes any difference...

dobermannkl
Novice

Aug 13, 2003, 9:33 PM

Post #6 of 13 (1529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Bull headed puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply guys.

My puppy is kept on leash during the day and kept in the spacious kennel at night. We let her go around the garden unleash about 5 times a day with 1 hour each. I do play with her and walk her at night.

She is about 4 months old. She certainly understand what NO means but just want to repeat the offence and get whack. Certainly cannot put up with her soil/stones eating behaviour.

Anyway, I will continue to teach her and be patience with her.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 10:09 PM

Post #7 of 13 (1528 views)
Shortcut

I am not sure if you want to try this.. my friend once had a dalmation.. very cheeky wan..
Always dig out her garden.. what she did was to put some nails there and when the dalmation starts digging, it kinda hurt her paw... and from that day onwards... there was no digging done at her garden... Smile

dobermannkl
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 1:36 AM

Post #8 of 13 (1525 views)
Shortcut

Oh no, I shall not use this approach. I am very sure that my puppy will eat those nails. Don't want to take any risk that could damage her. Frown

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 14, 2003, 1:39 AM

Post #9 of 13 (1524 views)
Shortcut

Yeah.. true.. since they are still a puppy... I think that leaves you no choice but to spend more time to educate them then Smile

dobermannkl
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 2:02 AM

Post #10 of 13 (1523 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, I shall educate her as much as I can. Will consider taking her to the training class. Nothing much I can do if she insist to do thing that might damage herself like jumping off from a 5ft high wall. Ahh... such a mad bull.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 14, 2003, 2:10 AM

Post #11 of 13 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Good luck Smile

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2003, 7:53 AM

Post #12 of 13 (1517 views)
Shortcut

5 ft wall??? y would she want to try to jump over a 5ft wall??ShockedShocked

dobermannkl
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 5:19 PM

Post #13 of 13 (1514 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BaoBao] Bull headed puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

She climbed up to the hill and jumped down from there. Done it a few times and she think she is superwoman. Don't worry, I have blocked the access. She won't be able to perform such stun until she find another access.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my