Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
serious problem

jc
Novice

Aug 4, 2003, 9:07 PM

Post #1 of 17 (3612 views)
Shortcut
serious problem Can't Post

HI! i am JC. I have a dog (local breed) which is two years old.
What I want to find out is that: is it true that if a dog bite his owner (without any reason) on the owner's arm until it is bleeding (there are several holes-dog teeth), we can no longer keep the dog as it is a categories as "dangerous dog"?

since little, when we give the dog a bone (which he love to eat bone very much), he will growl and stare at whoever pass nearby him.
once when my mother gave him the bone, and a few minutes later, i went to my dog to pat on his head. The dog started growling and then bite on my finger.

As this is my first dog, all i want to know is that other dog also show such an aggreesive behaviour?

Please note that we let the dog run around the house, we leash him when we bring him out for a walk (for three times a day). Everyone in the family loves him very much.

are there any one who have similar experience with me?

Frown

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 5, 2003, 7:36 AM

Post #2 of 17 (3599 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jc] serious problem [In reply to] Can't Post

1) That depends on you. If he accidentally did it..I don't think you would wanna send him to the pound would you? Even if he did, it was most probably u did something...not intentionally of course Smile

2) As a puppy? How old? At that age,it would be much easier to train him or get him used to ppl getting near his treat. Your dog seems possesive. Must try and get over his problem by getting used to ppl around him while he's chewing.

Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

sweeeng
ALPHA

Aug 5, 2003, 5:28 PM

Post #3 of 17 (3586 views)
Shortcut

I too think that if it's by accident that he bite you, it should be ok. MY sister's shih tzu has bitten almost everybody in the house.... but now he has changed a lot and growls when he's ready to attack. So then we won't bother him and he'll stop.

Your dog bit you when you pat his head while he's playing with his bone is b'cos in his mind, you're going to snatch the bone away from him. Just try talking to your dog....probably next time he won't do such thing anymore...

Regards,
Sweeeng

poor_me
Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2003, 5:33 PM

Post #4 of 17 (3585 views)
Shortcut

Hi jc,

Don't give up on ur dog just yet. Please.

Train ur dog to be confident around others when he eats and plays. I dunno if I am allowed to advertise other sites, but I find this site rather useful. My apologies to the webmaster if this is not allowed. http://www.santacruzspca.org/training.html

Regards,

Alan

jc
Novice

Aug 5, 2003, 5:35 PM

Post #5 of 17 (3585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] serious problem [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

For the bone situation, yes, he accidentally did it and my dog usually later on will wagged his tail and lick our face to say sorry.

But what happened last Tuesday was that while we were watching TV, my dog was sleeping at the main door. Later on, the dog woke up, stretch his body, went to my father (who is actually standing up) and suddenly bite my father's arm.

As a punishment, on Wed night, he were not allowed to enter into the house. My sis which is soft hearted when outside to persuade my dog to go to his bed and sleep.
Unfortunately, his tail went all the way straight and this time bite my Mom who were also outside at that time.

No, I do not want to pound him as I really love him very much. I just want to know why is he such a hot temper guy.

It would be ok if my parents' wound are not serious but unfortunately there are a few holes which bleed...

Actually we are more concern of cancer. According to the doc, there are two possibility why a dog attack its own owner. 1) rabies 2) cancer.

Only norther m'sia have rabies but not in klang valley. We do not allow the dog to wander around the neighbour by his own (for obvious reason as since little, the dog is quite fierce and also there are lot of malays ppl). Therefore we do not think it is rabies (as we vaccinate our dog every beginning of the year to get licence)

Anyone out there no more about cancer or why is my dog is behaving like that?

jc
Novice

Aug 5, 2003, 5:46 PM

Post #6 of 17 (3584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [poor_me] serious problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Alan for the website.
I have been searching the net for more info regarding aggreession of a dog.
At least, for now, I manage to read something regarding the issue.

Regards
JC

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 6, 2003, 1:40 AM

Post #7 of 17 (3574 views)
Shortcut

hmm...this is a really different one..

did he show any signs before biting your dad? like maybe a "look"? maybe a sniff in the air? any subtle hints?

maybe he finds this fun? and could be bored? it may seem sadistic but different breeds have a different level of prey drive. Since yours is a mongrel(i will just assume that we do not know his heritage), his prey drive might be higher than most dogs.Unsure

maybe try and divert his prey to different things. more play with little things that move might help
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

jc
Novice

Aug 6, 2003, 6:01 PM

Post #8 of 17 (3566 views)
Shortcut

Actually my dog did not show any sign.

I have surf the net and we came across a website regarding "Rage Syndrome" on dog.

Whoever that wants to find out more, please go to:

www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk

The symptoms describe is similar to mine.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 6, 2003, 9:57 PM

Post #9 of 17 (3558 views)
Shortcut

thank you for that link

very informative Smile

cleared up my confusion too
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 7, 2003, 12:11 AM

Post #10 of 17 (3553 views)
Shortcut

I think this is very much on case to case basis quar...
Just like human.. we are all human, but got different personality.. don't pressure your dog too much ler.. Wink

jc
Novice

Aug 7, 2003, 1:11 AM

Post #11 of 17 (3551 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] serious problem [In reply to] Can't Post

My parents are old and I need to work...
My dog might be only 20kg but he have a strength like Hercules!
Anyway, Thanks for replying back to me.
I actually have a lot of sleepless night.
That is because I have called up a few people and they straight a way they say that to put my dog to sleep!
That is why I do not dare to go to the "authorities" for help.
He is only two years old!
Anyway, sleeping is one of the solution but....

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 7, 2003, 4:05 AM

Post #12 of 17 (3547 views)
Shortcut

He's only 2 yrs old.. perhaps proper training and guidance will help before choosing to put the dog to sleep.. to me, that would be my LAST option.... if you are naughty.. does your parents put you to sleep? No rite.. so think about it first.. Seriously...

jc
Novice

Aug 7, 2003, 5:21 PM

Post #13 of 17 (3544 views)
Shortcut

My thought exactly. You should inform SPCA regarding this!

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 7, 2003, 6:36 PM

Post #14 of 17 (3540 views)
Shortcut

I inform SPCA??? huh?? Did they advise you to put down the dog?

jc
Novice

Aug 7, 2003, 9:11 PM

Post #15 of 17 (3537 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, I don't mean you. I guess it should be me.
Yes, SPCA did said that. That is why I have sleepless night. (I am the emotional type of gal!)
That is because this is an abnormal case...
(even the vet have no idea why)Frown
But right now I am going to follow the advise from the website that I have mentioned.Smile

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 7, 2003, 10:03 PM

Post #16 of 17 (3533 views)
Shortcut

I don't really know how the actual situation is... but i mean if you can save the dog and make a difference.. why not? you might end up regretting you know... Unimpressed

bomberZ

Aug 7, 2003, 10:52 PM

Post #17 of 17 (3528 views)
Shortcut

hi realitydreamer,

read the website too.. very informative. 1 thing i am afraid of is that people might misused or misunderstand the nature of rage and simply put them to sleep at the first sign of aggresive.

Boo my cocker used to be very possesive at "his" belong when i first adopted him a few month ago, he will growl at me whenever i want to take his thing away. I had spent lot of time with him and provide him with lot of love and care so nowaday he is no longer possesive and he understand he "ranking".

btw thanks jc for providing such valuable information. This is the first time i heard about this. thanks a lot.

bomberZ

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my