Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Help! My Shih Tzu pup whines & bark .....

limsuteong
Dog Kichi

Jul 30, 2003, 10:03 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2076 views)
Shortcut
Help! My Shih Tzu pup whines & bark ..... Can't Post

I got my 1st Shih Tzu pup about 2 weeks already. He is 8 weeks old now and is so cute & adorable. Has learned to keep quiet when I close the bedroom door at night. He is placed in a cage just outside my bedroom door. But however he will whines & bark for attention almost every time I leave for my main door. By the way I live in an apartment. Can anyone please help me or share their experience on how to prevent my pup from whining & barking.

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jul 30, 2003, 11:27 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [limsuteong] Help! My Shih Tzu pup whines & bark ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Huhh? You got your puppy 2 weeks ago? Meaning he was 6 weeks old?? Wowww, too young age to leave mother lahhh Pirate

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

strawberry
Novice

Aug 4, 2003, 8:01 PM

Post #3 of 9 (2062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [limsuteong] Help! My Shih Tzu pup whines & bark ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

arr.........i hav a shih tzu also........no he is 5 months old oledi.I bring him home when he is 2 months old........he use to bark at nite when i put him in his cage while me and my family were sleeping. So i just tie him outside of his cage and he keep quiet. If your dog bark during the day, i guess u need to be stern to your dog. Discipline your puppy especially when it was still young age.

limsuteong
Dog Kichi

Aug 4, 2003, 9:54 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strawberry] Help! My Shih Tzu pup whines & bark ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

10 Q for yr advise. I think I should scold my little one when he is noisy. By the way, where r u from? R u from Penang?

strawberry
Novice

Aug 5, 2003, 4:14 PM

Post #5 of 9 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Nice to meet u limsuteong! I'm not Penang......i'm from K.L. So u are from Penang izzit? Hope u really could control ur puppy bcoz sometimes they tend to be veli stubborn and manja.Like my pup, he is veli stubborn.Even when i scold him he will bark at me back.....so i really need to stern to him.

ckbeep

Aug 6, 2003, 4:47 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strawberry] Help! My Shih Tzu pup whines & bark ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I agree with you, no matter how much you love and care about your dog, you must know what is the border he should not cross. And remind him that you are the boss of the house, not him Wink

CkBeep

cnfs

Aug 2, 2004, 5:21 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Hello Lim! I too just got my shih tzu puppy a few days ago. She is 3 months plus and stays in a big cage. I too have problem like yours. When I leave her alone, she tends to whine and whine which gradually escalates to soft bark that gets louder and louder. The first nite she was OK because I kept her in the cage all the time except for peeing and pooing. Second nite I took her out and play and since then she didn't like to return to cage. Yesterday, I couldn't stand the barks and whines anymore so I hit her mouth softly using rolled magazine in her cage. She got scared and kept quiet for awhile before turning noisy again. I've tried my best to accompany her. I even prepared a loud ticking clock for her and a few nice bones to chew but still she is noisy. I am very discouraged and wish someone would share a tip on how to deal with this whiny princess......

Regards,
Mr.Chris

a_evie
Doggyman

Aug 4, 2004, 11:19 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cnfs] Help! My Shih Tzu pup whines & bark ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

agree with ckbeep that we must let the furkids know that we are the alphas not them...very important thing to remember.

a crate must be linked to the idea of punishment...i mean i crate shalom when she is naughty or disobedient...but in general the crate is also her rest place when we sleep at night or when we are not at home. keep the crate a happy place with toys and chewies. of course boredom sets in when the face the same toys everyday. so rotate the toys daily or every 2 days.

staying in an apartment is tought with a noisy furkid..so when the moment the bark for no good reason...try smacking the mouth lightly and say "no" in a low voice. of course you must be consistent. takes a good couple of days to get the idea embedded in furkid's mind and understanding.

shalom is a shih tzu girl too..and i resort to the above to keep her quiet. these days a bark is only to let me know that i have to clean up her poo area. we videoed her..and in our absence she does not bark at all..only thing is that when we return homw..she gives a single soft low bark to alert that i have to clean her pooh area before i do anything else...yes..i have to attend to her first...teh princess demands it..so we give in lor.

ROSANNAMCCALL
Novice

Dec 19, 2004, 8:37 AM

Post #9 of 9 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Hi!

Being away from his mommy, brothers and sisters can be trumatic for your little furkid. so pls don't scold him. Train him that being quiet, he will be rewarded ( by a game of ball/ food). The puppy is young and scolding will just make him feel worst!

pls have a heart!
Rosann

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my