HELP! lol My evil puppy has reuined our relatonship :(

OwnerOfEvilPup
Novice

Jul 30, 2003, 10:12 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1909 views)
Shortcut
HELP! lol My evil puppy has reuined our relatonship :( Can't Post

Hey guys!Frown

My 13 week old black Lab puppy, Roxie, does not listen to anything I say! I swear, she refuses to learn the word NO. She goes in the house although I follow a schedule(she goes out every half hour). she'll hold it until we get inside then she goes! aye yi yi . plus she hates other dogs! We went to PetsMart the other day & this adorable Boston Terrier puppy & owner came up to sniff her & she GROWLED at it! UnsureBoy, sometimes I just wanna get rid of her! But I love her & just wnna fix these problems! All house-training experts say non-sense things that JUST DONT WORK on Rox. Plus she chews EVERYTHING. I figure it's cuz she's a lab since she hasnt entered teething yet.CrazyShe chews on my hair, my clothes, my family(yes, skin as well), all shoes,all paper, all wires, all fabrics, everything. ANybody have soloutions to help me that aren't expensive because I ain't rich$$. Thanx everyone!!Smile

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 30, 2003, 10:18 AM

Post #2 of 9 (1904 views)
Shortcut
Re: [OwnerOfEvilPup] HELP! lol My evil puppy has reuined our relatonship :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Melody~

Welcome to the forumSmile. Have you tried crate-training? Everytime Roxie did anything wrong or not listening to your NO, you crate her. and No matter how much she barks.. you jsut ignore her, say 10 minutes, then repeat the NO until the very moment she stops barking, you quickly release her. And repeat the same for about 1 hour. Keep this training session no longer than an hour a day. just TRY.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 30, 2003, 10:31 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1901 views)
Shortcut
Re: [OwnerOfEvilPup] HELP! lol My evil puppy has reuined our relatonship :( [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

aiks. fear not. your dog ain't evil. she's just being a regular puppy. we all face this problem when we're caring for the "babies" we just brought home. don't feel dejected. maybe she's testing you out, see if you're good enuogh to handle her.

anyway, regarding your question.. i am not an expert, but i do hope it'd at least help u out a little..:

1. toilet training - this is something every dog owner has to go through and believe me, it's not an easy process. have u tried using the good ol' newspaper method? there had been a handsful of toilet training questions, methods + really useful solutions posted by various members up in this forum. do try to find relevant topics using the search button above :)

2. growling at dogs - simple. just socialize little Roxie more as she's still not quite sure how to react when around other dogs. let her "check out" other dogs.. if she growls, say NO. keep doing this until she gets used to it (note : socialize your dog earlier as it'll make life easier for you when she grows up in future)

3. chewing - could be due to teething. also could be due to plain fun. do u reinforce your "NO" with a loud, stern manner? catch her on the act - when she's chewing. stop her from chewing and say NO on the spot. and no, not only lab chews. other breeds chew too. acts like mouthing on hairs and hand should not be tolerated. don't let her. say NO. move her away. if u allow her to chew on, she'll think it's okay to do so.

i suppose the solutions are not expensive as you only need more patience to train your little girl. this always happen. glad that you decide to fix the problems instead of resorting to get rid of her. i'm sure with more training, from an evil pup, she'll turn to be a sweet angel within no time :)

and most of all, TLC is the utmost important. happy training.

regards,
hunter

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 23, 2003, 9:06 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1850 views)
Shortcut

hello,

I know how you feel because I feel the same way about doodle, my basset hound. He is very destructive and at one stage, i really felt like giving him away!

Have some patience and count to 10 when she upsets you. Has the condition improved? Each time when she behaves, praise her and encourage her using positive training.

Hope it helps!

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 30, 2003, 10:56 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1820 views)
Shortcut

for me, Jaz use to chew up carpets, sofas, shoes... etc.. till we discovered newspapers! it won't hurt, but you get the sound effect of wacking them.. everytime she tries to chew or disobey, we just roll up a newspaper and hit her back. after a few times, she learns her lesson...so now, when she does something wrong, we roll up the paper, she will know how to stop!

xyne
Doggyman

Sep 1, 2003, 8:30 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1798 views)
Shortcut

ohh hooo hoo hoo... welcome to the crazy world of having a dog.. and a pup for tat matter..Tongue

i tear my hair out when i had pups until they r about 4/5 months?? its normal...even now my GR makes me scream from time to time.... he's 1 n just can not resist my dad's leather shoes.. and funny,...its just his shoes...[maybe they dont like each other.. kakakaaaa]

u just need to be consistent n train your dog.. spend alot of time with her n keep reminding her what the "NO-NO"s are.... tell her NO when she's caught in the act and dont wait to tell her cos she can forget what she just did n get confused.

xyne
Doggyman

Sep 1, 2003, 8:33 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1797 views)
Shortcut

give her a toy to play with.. n something she can chew legally....let her know that...then u'll find that she wont chew other stuff. Works for my schnauzer... Smile

not sure about your labby cos my GR can distort everything in split seconds....CrazyCrazy

good luck Wink

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Sep 3, 2003, 1:13 AM

Post #8 of 9 (1784 views)
Shortcut

Hi! Your dogs does sound mischievious. Roxie's action is so like Dome(3 months now). Like everyone said, patience lah.
For chewing, I bought Dome a pigskin hide bone it work wonders on the chewing. I always carry it with me when I pick Dome up. Last time when I carry him, he likes to chew my fingers and quite painful one lor. So now, everytime he wants to bite my fingers, I say a loud NO and then I put the bone in his mouth and I praise him. So it solve problem a bit lah.
Pee and poo business is quite stressful one. Newspaper is the best. For poo, maybe you can just time your dog, usually what time does he poo. Dome poo after abt 2 hours his meal, I take him out to the garden and he poo lah.
So, sabar lah...Good luck!

Ciao
Angeline + Maximus & Dome(miss u!)

alicia
Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2003, 7:09 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1774 views)
Shortcut

when sheeri was between 16 weeks to 14 months, she was a complete monster. there is a list of things she damaged in another thread somewhere on this site but just let me tell you that is was extensive and expensive. now she is manifesting her jealousy of our newborn baby by eating baby diapers. trust me, you will always feel like giving them away on some days, but when you see them wag their tails in ecstacy because YOU came come, you'll realise that there is no way you could give them up. also, that's the difference between a dog lover and a dog owner. dog owners giveup at the first time of trouble...
Alicia Ling Horsley

petepicure.wordpress.com/
pinkpetfood.blogspot.com/

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my