Where does the smell come from !?!

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jun 26, 2002, 6:43 PM

Post #1 of 14 (2061 views)
Shortcut
Where does the smell come from !?! Can't Post

Not to sure, the topic falls on the right section Laugh
Anyway... I would like to know where does the doggie smell coming from ? Mad I bath Rex and clean his ears on a weekly basis, but after 3 - 4 days, I can smell the 'doggie smell' already. It's stronger when come to raining days.

Does the smell come from its head, ear, body,mouth ? How do we overcome or minimize such odour? Buy the 'odourless spray'? Would it harm the dog? Is it due to food? I feed him on dried kibble.

TQ

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

melanie
Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2002, 7:48 PM

Post #2 of 14 (2056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Where does the smell come from !?! [In reply to] Can't Post

A friend of my recommended me to use the baby powder to minimize the smell for my pup!Tongue

I actually try to do so and somehow it is ok as my pup still so young to take bath....do not know whether work on adult dog.

joonkeet

Jun 26, 2002, 9:38 PM

Post #3 of 14 (2053 views)
Shortcut

Hi
Well, we can call that dog's natural perfume. Tongue
Actually, you can use certain shampoo that can control the smell, but of course its not permanent.

There is also powder/deoderant or whatsoever that are available in the market. You can have a look.

Regards
Joseph

Consult a vet. Be kind to pet

Pat

Jun 26, 2002, 9:55 PM

Post #4 of 14 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I use the dry wash powder (chalk powder) on my dog from time to time but it will last at most one day only. The deodorant and stuff are only temporary measure to "mask" the smell. It is quite normal for the smell to return after 3-4 days. Their ears especially get dirty again and the odour comes from especially the ears, if you get close to their head. If I keep my dog inside the house, there is naturally less smell than when she plays outdoor for the entire day. It is worse when the fur gets wet or damp.

REgards,

Patricia
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

tengy
Novice

Jun 27, 2002, 9:40 PM

Post #5 of 14 (2035 views)
Shortcut

I used "salt" from seawater in power form to clean my Pug (7months).

It seems to work. What I did was use a spoonful of that "salt" mixed with one pale of water and deep her in for 15mins.

This "salt" has not only keep the smell away, but also the ticks. She's been ticks free since I apply this method.

I've also tried to use dog shampoo in between "salt" treatment. But the smell came right after the shampoo bath. So, I've stop using the shampoo all together and just the "salt" will do.

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Jun 28, 2002, 2:48 AM)

les
K9 Maniac

Jun 27, 2002, 11:07 PM

Post #6 of 14 (2032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tengy] Where does the smell come from !?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Huh? Wat kind of salt is that? Can use the one in the kitchen wan or not? If can.. then more cheaper lor.. correct ar guys?

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 28, 2002, 2:46 AM

Post #7 of 14 (2024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] Where does the smell come from !?! [In reply to] Can't Post

To all members, please be informed that there is a clause in puppy com known as the "disclaimer". This means that any member could post any suggestion, all kinds of treatment to your dogs without being liable for any wrong doing.
The onus is on those who believe in it or to reject it.
I strongly hope that all members of this forum will practise -"common sense should prevail"- concept.

Wat kind of salt is that?
There are 2 type of salts. One is known as table salt which is pure white in colour that you use in the kitchen. The other is known as rock salt, which also carries the fancy name seawater salt. It is in lump form and is off white in colour. If your other hobby is related to aquatic life you would have known what is called -'sarng yim'. in plastic packet of 200mg @ 50sens. The scientific name still remain the same Na Cl. -sodium chloride-.

evehock
Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2002, 6:05 AM

Post #8 of 14 (2019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] Where does the smell come from !?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehehe....Laugh

Get the free ones by soak your dog in sea water....LOL

Eve

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 30, 2002, 6:46 AM

Post #9 of 14 (2007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [evehock] Where does the smell come from !?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotta look for a beach dat allows dogs!

-= Tisha =-

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 30, 2002, 9:22 PM

Post #10 of 14 (2004 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Where does the smell come from !?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Come to Penang....there are plenty Wink

HWONG
Novice

Nov 15, 2002, 8:40 PM

Post #11 of 14 (1967 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Something to share with. I tried the following tip that I got from a Dane-site for reducing dog odour.It seems towork and I have a fresher smelling dog for a longer period in between bath. Make a solution of 1/2cup of white vinegar to 1 gal of water. Rinse the dog with the vinegar solution after his normal bathing routine. Leave for 5 ins then dry off. I dont know if your dog's skin or coat will tolerate it.So use this tip with caution.

silky
Novice

Nov 28, 2002, 5:49 PM

Post #12 of 14 (1942 views)
Shortcut

Most of the smell comes from toxin built up in the dog's digestive system. Just like human, some got body odour and some got bad breath. Toxins are caused by inappropriate food consumed. Most dog owners feed them kibble food because its the most convienient. But regret to say all these big conglomorate companies are putting up a big marketing hype. I'm not saying all kibble food are bad, there are obviously some good one but few, but most of it contains preservative, otherwise, how to last. What kind of food she's eating?

Have you BARF (Bone and Raw Food). There are enormous argument in the website about the advantages of BARF. But it appears pros are more then cons. Through proper diet, the smell will slowly go away. You must attack the source, not spraying perfume or deoderant which you are attacking the problem from the surface. These agents contains more harm than anything. Again its all marketing hype.

elizatye
K9 Senior

Nov 29, 2002, 12:33 AM

Post #13 of 14 (1929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silky] Where does the smell come from !?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Silky,

Are you feed your dog with BARF ?

Eliza

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 30, 2002, 5:00 AM

Post #14 of 14 (1910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elizatye] Where does the smell come from !?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Penang's too far away! lol

BARF is excellent, but you need to be prepared to spend some time on it. With dog kibble, it's so much more convenient. But I agree, there are a lot of pros to BARF.

-= Tisha =-

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my