Dewclaw

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 3:35 AM

Post #1 of 21 (2011 views)
Shortcut
Dewclaw Can't Post

Hi guys,

Anyone of you have experiences with an infected and inflammed dewclaw?

Sparkle has been chewing on one of them and it's now inflammed and fur around is has dropped. Took him to the vet today and he put him on the e-collar. Supposed to take him back in a weeks' time. Meanwhile, he has to be on antibiotics.

Anyone had similar experience and any advice on what to apply on it externally?

Thanks!

Kowie
ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 9:33 AM

Post #2 of 21 (2001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Dewclaw [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

I've had a similar experience with my boyfriend's shih tzu. In her case the dewclaw grows in a rather odd direction, it curls inwards so that it grows into the flesh. That will = infection.

The vet had to cut the claw really close to the cuitcle and remove the ingrown bit. Then she prescribed antibiotics and gave iodine to apply twice a day for about a week and a half to help stop the infection. I suggest you get the iodine from the vet as it is different from the iodine used on humans. The human iodine is alcohol based and will REALLY hurt if you use it on Sparkle. The dog version is waterbased and doesn't hurt as much, just a bit of a sting. It's also non-staining so you don't have to worry about staining your fingers and outher stuff.Smile

If Sparkle's dewclaws grow curving inwards and/or if the risk of multiple infections is rather high, perhaps you can just declaw the two dewclaws rather than put Sparkle through the agony of numerous vet visits. My vet quoted about RM100 to RM200 per claw for the adult shih tzu, it's apparently cheaper for puppies.

Hopefully you'll find this useful! And wish Sparkle a speedy recovery from Ah Kow and me.Sly

Frown Kowie, Ah Kow & Whitie Frown

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 5:22 PM

Post #3 of 21 (1997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowie] Dewclaw [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Kowie! Smile

Thanks for your reply and wishes

Well, I don't think his dewclaw is growing oddly as the vet didn't say anything about it and when it wasn't infected it looks ok to me. Funny thing is he chews on only one side of it.

I think I'll give my vet a call today to ask about the iodine. Right now he has the e-collar and is taking antibiotics but there's nothing to apply directly on the inflammed area. So maybe together with the iodine it'll heal faster. hehehe...summore now he can't lick the iodine also. Tongue

As to declaw him, I'll remember to ask my vet's opinion when I take Sparkle back for a check up next week. If I can, I'll prefer to let it heal by itself. Unless like you mentioned there's a risk of getting another infection later, then maybe declawing him would be better for him.

Thank you so much for sharing this!! I thought Sparkle was having a really weird problem Unsure

Btw, what's the purpose of dewclaws in dogs anyway? I know some dogs are declawed for shows and if they can be removed for cosmetic reasons, it must be quite useless to a dog to have dewclaws in the first place right?

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 7:49 PM

Post #4 of 21 (1992 views)
Shortcut

I guess it's by nature that they had it there in the first place.. don't know why dog's nose is always wet either Laugh... but yeah, they are pretty useless to me, and it will hurt them during combing if accidently comb down you see, but I don't plan to remove it as it will hurt jaz more..Crazy

Kowie
ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 9:45 PM

Post #5 of 21 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Hi!

Not really sure why dogs have dewclaws either... I think for pets you declaw them for safety reasons... Maybe got kids at home, the dog keeps getting the claws stuck in stuff, etc.

Maybe when the infection is healed you can train him to stop biting on the dewclaw. I think there are sprays in pet shops and vets which stop dogs biting stuff but I'm not sure if they can be used on the dog..Unsure So better check with the vet! Anyway, the spray is really quite effective but it smells really odd.

Take care! Hopefully Sparkle can make it for the gathering!Sly

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 29, 2003, 1:07 AM

Post #6 of 21 (1984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Dewclaw [In reply to] Can't Post

i think their nose is wet because it enhances their smelling sense? Well, if it's not causing any problems to Jaz, then no need to remove it wat...

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 29, 2003, 1:15 AM

Post #7 of 21 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Exactly, but sometimes, it's dangerouse during combing time.. might hurt thier legs you see... but yeah, never had the intention to remove them.. just be extra careful when coming at those parts that's all... Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 29, 2003, 1:20 AM

Post #8 of 21 (1982 views)
Shortcut

according to my vet some pets will chew even more after u apply the spray that's why he suggested to put the e collar.

I hope he can make it too!! Maybe he can go in the collar as his costume Laugh

Kowie
ALPHA

Jul 29, 2003, 10:39 AM

Post #9 of 21 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Not too sure why their nose is wet... Maybe coz' they always lick it??? Anyway, a cold wet nose is a sign that your dog is healthy so I guess it's a good thing. Ah Kow's nose is dry in the mornings when she just wakes up. Is that normal?

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 31, 2003, 7:29 PM

Post #10 of 21 (1961 views)
Shortcut

hello~! Smile

my first doggie Richie - his nose always wet. my puppy Sparkle, nose is not as wet. only very wet when going on car rides. Crazy

I think it's normal. I always suspect my first dog to have sinus problems cause he always has super wet nose and he sneezes a lot Blush

Kowie
ALPHA

Aug 2, 2003, 11:48 PM

Post #11 of 21 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Hello!

Sorry I took so long to reply... Forgot I posted here lah.. Getting old liao. Anyway, Ah Kow's nose also sometimes extra wet during car rides.. Maybe excited kua? Hehe!!! Didn't know dogs can have sinus also! Smile Hope Sparkle gets the all clear from the vet!

JolinG
Doggyman

Aug 3, 2003, 9:52 AM

Post #12 of 21 (1947 views)
Shortcut

hey cshellz

how comes his dewclaw wasnt remove when he was a few day old pup.

as we know its useless lah this dewclaw..and might even give the doggies problems

thats y we always remove the dewclaw of newborn pups when their 3 days old

few seconds of pain will be better then a lifetime of problems rite?

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 3, 2003, 11:33 PM

Post #13 of 21 (1945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JolinG] Dewclaw [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

Sparkle is an adopted puppy. Got him from my uncle and he doesn't declaw any of his dogs Smile But I agree with u....if I had the choice, i would have prefer if Sparkle's dewclaw was removed when he was younger Unsure

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 4, 2003, 9:25 AM

Post #14 of 21 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Dewclaw [In reply to] Can't Post

Well,long time ago,mother nature gave dogs dew claws to help them climb mountains and even some trees. Mountain breeds like maremma's, pyrenean sheepdogs, kuvasv have dew claws on their hind legs also.

as for wet noses..i think i read some where that the mucus on the nose helps to collect scent when they are sniffing around....easier for them to sniff&identify smells

Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Aug 4, 2003, 9:30 AM)

chris78
K9 Maniac

Aug 4, 2003, 11:30 AM

Post #15 of 21 (1936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JolinG] Dewclaw [In reply to] Can't Post

I do agree with you Jolin.....dewclaw bring 'ma farn' to us and the dog in the future la...anyway, hope that cshellz baby will get better...Smile

Riccaval
ALPHA

Aug 4, 2003, 8:58 PM

Post #16 of 21 (1933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris78] Dewclaw [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileYup, and u have 2 less nails to clip when u do grooming.Laugh

JolinG
Doggyman

Aug 4, 2003, 9:14 PM

Post #17 of 21 (1931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval] Dewclaw [In reply to] Can't Post

ahhah yea!Wink and i think thats the best part bout not having those dew claws!Angelic

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 4, 2003, 11:20 PM

Post #18 of 21 (1926 views)
Shortcut

hahaha how true!! Cool

Riccaval
ALPHA

Aug 4, 2003, 11:41 PM

Post #19 of 21 (1923 views)
Shortcut

SmileM, u got a new avatar. Sparkle look funny with the hat on. Like an entertainer lookLaughLaugh

chris78
K9 Maniac

Aug 5, 2003, 9:02 AM

Post #20 of 21 (1917 views)
Shortcut

hahaha...yeah yeah...it's hard for me to clip Schneider nail even it's less...Tongue

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 5, 2003, 6:11 PM

Post #21 of 21 (1912 views)
Shortcut

hi Derrick,

haha yah!! Actually the round thing surrounding his avatar is his e-collar Wink Quite easy for me to cut and paste heheh

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my