Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Yet another nail-cutting question...

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 25, 2002, 5:27 AM

Post #1 of 12 (6615 views)
Shortcut
Yet another nail-cutting question... Can't Post

My Dobbie has been limping for the past few days, and I suspect that it has something to do with her long nails. I checked her paw thoroughly, but I couldn't find anything wrong - no wounds, etc. I confess that she's never had her nails cut since the day she was born... but I heard that long walks and regular jogging on surfaces like the road will trim nails naturally. She's never had a problem before now, so I'd like to finally trim her nails!

I've read the other posts regarding nail cutting. One question though, what should I use to cut her nails? Need to buy a special doggie clipper rite? Any advice and/or recommendations?

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 25, 2002, 6:13 AM

Post #2 of 12 (6612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Yet another nail-cutting question... [In reply to] Can't Post

Front or back limping? Without seeing the actual length of her nails, it is difficult to say if her limping is caused by long nails.
There are 2 types of nail cutters available; the guillotine type and the pincer type. Both are somewhere within the region RM16 - RM20. Since she has not had her nails trimmed, on day one she was born, she may not be willing to cooperate. Besides, I am sure her has black nails and you may not know how deep to trim. Best recommendation I could offer is to visit a vet in Old Klang Road opposite the junction of Desa something something and the cost for trimming nail is RM5.

evehock
Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2002, 6:15 AM

Post #3 of 12 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Hello Tish,

I never cut my dog nail too... the last dog we had, we send her to vet to cut her nails. But Tigger is a good groomer.... He always has a short nail by scraping his nails on the simen. No, I did not teach him... maybe his bio Mom did...Tongue hehehe...

Eve

Pat

Jun 26, 2002, 9:44 PM

Post #4 of 12 (6599 views)
Shortcut

Dear Tish,

It is best not to cut it yourself. It is quite difficult even with the special clipper and if you go beyond the pick line it will bleed for a long long time.

Regards,

Patricia
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

Andrew

Jul 6, 2002, 5:33 AM

Post #5 of 12 (6577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pat] Yet another nail-cutting question... [In reply to] Can't Post

same thing happened to my dog. She never co-operate when it comes to nail clipping. I accidently clipped into the quick and it bleed. I think I will send her to the vet to have the nail clipping job done. Her nail is getting longer now....

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

wmeng
Dog Kichi

Jul 6, 2002, 6:08 AM

Post #6 of 12 (6575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrew] Yet another nail-cutting question... [In reply to] Can't Post

My pug puppy's nails, though only 3 months+, turning 4 months this 10th, are growing very fast. I guess it could be he always stay indoor and walks on marble floor and tiles only. The first time when I tried cutting his nails, I accidentally clipped into the quick and it bled. I tried again today and only managed to cut one of the back leg's, of course after much struggles.PirateUnsure I really find it a big chore.Crazy

Can anyone out there advise me of any dog nail groomer around Subang area, please?
ENG
Proud owner of George, a male pug puppy
Born: 10/3/02

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jul 6, 2002, 6:15 PM

Post #7 of 12 (6568 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmeng] Yet another nail-cutting question... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi wmeng,
As I know, there r 2 pet shops in Taipan, one in SS19, one in USJ 9 (Business Center) that grooming service.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

Gin
Novice

Jul 15, 2002, 5:52 PM

Post #8 of 12 (6554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmeng] Yet another nail-cutting question... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have the habit of taking your puppy for daily evening walk, then cutting of nail is more often than not not necessary. The abrasion will trim his nail automatically.

On the other hand, if you wish to cut the nail yourself without the help of others, you will need to hold him with his back resting on your body (with you in the seated position). Use your left hand to hold the puppy tight and using the same hand to hold one of his leg. Cut the nail with the other hand. Mind you, this is quite difficult but can be done. Puppies are mostly hyperactice.

jason
Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2002, 12:26 AM

Post #9 of 12 (6544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gin] Yet another nail-cutting question... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello to all,

All I need to do was trying to divert his/her attention towards other 'new toys'! You can use new things that they never met before to attract their attention. It is always better to do it by at least two persons. One playing with them with the new toys and another do the job. But, becareful, they will remember the bad experience once you accidentally cause the pain for them. Good luck!Tongue

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jul 19, 2002, 12:20 AM

Post #10 of 12 (6528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Yet another nail-cutting question... [In reply to] Can't Post

My method is to tire him first by having a few runs of fetch games. He will be dead tired and would not resist whatever I do. Alternatively I do it on a lazy Sunday afternoon when he's feeling sleepy.

Bear in mind, u still need to cut the flurs between the paw pads also.

Have fun!

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

jason
Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2002, 12:45 AM

Post #11 of 12 (6527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Yet another nail-cutting question... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah! I agree with you, cdmoo!!!Cool

Especially for those big dogs in size, they need to be tired to ease our nail-cutting job. I tried this before to my boxers and it worked!!!

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

les
K9 Maniac

Jul 19, 2002, 11:14 AM

Post #12 of 12 (6517 views)
Shortcut

Hmm.. maybe u can try while they are sleeping? I always did that when Sunny is sleeping.. and there is no problem at all cutting his nail and even cleaning his ears..Wink

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my