Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Fleas, ticks & mites in puppy

melanie
Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2002, 11:39 PM

Post #1 of 16 (3934 views)
Shortcut
Fleas, ticks & mites in puppy Can't Post

It is very easy to notice these creatures in pups with light colours (white/brown)

My puppy is black in colour and I just wonder can I see whether there is any creatures crawling, sucking her blood? How can I check...by touching or using magnifyer!!Crazy

Do I need to buy any special shampoo for the black coloured dog?

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 22, 2002, 12:11 AM

Post #2 of 16 (3930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melanie] Fleas, ticks & mites in puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

You can see fleas and ticks with your naked eye....regardless of the colour of your dog, u will hv to run your hands thru your dog to look for them, unless u are lucky enough to see one crawling and since your dog is black it makes it even harder....places where ticks are most likely to be found are between the paws, around the ears, neck and belly....if your dog does not hang around cats, chances of fleas are minimal....you can buy a tick/flea spray frm any pet shops around....there are a number of brands out there in the market.....personally i prefer Frontline coz it's really effective.....try and check your dog for ticks at least once a week....i always give him a check especially after he hangs around the grass area.

(This post was edited by ginl on Jun 22, 2002, 12:13 AM)

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 22, 2002, 12:56 AM

Post #3 of 16 (3922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Fleas, ticks & mites in puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you also please tell us the life cycle of eggs, freeze and mince?
ThankQ

melanie
Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2002, 1:56 AM

Post #4 of 16 (3919 views)
Shortcut

I see, I see....the ticks spray you r talking abt is to spray at the pup rite?

Yucks..I really scared of those creatures!Mad Maybe I can spray it onto the grass also,hehehe

I will try to look for the brand you mentioned.

Thanks

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 22, 2002, 2:05 AM

Post #5 of 16 (3917 views)
Shortcut

At RM 60 - 70 per 100ml spray onto grass also. Wooh, you are rich.

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 22, 2002, 2:33 AM

Post #6 of 16 (3915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Fleas, ticks & mites in puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Uummm...uummm....someone wise told me the life cycle before but unfortunately all the info was stored in my old notebook so Sony has the life cycle of eggs, freeze and mince now Crazy

But i do remember which is the male tick and which is the female....brown flat one that crawls very fast is the male and the fat raisin filled with blood is the female and she will parachutes herself off your dog and climb up to your wall, most likely in between cracks and lays thousands of eggs.

Mites are usually microscopic, so u can't see them with your eyes....they like to infest the ears and then u also hv those mites that cause mange which is the demodex and sarcoptic.

I saw on TV to test for fleas eggs which are the tiny sandy black colour thingy...take some of the eggs, put them on a piece of white paper, put a few drops of normal tap water on them and you will see the water turns a bit reddish....haven't tried that before.

Collect or not? Got robot dog?

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 22, 2002, 2:35 AM

Post #7 of 16 (3914 views)
Shortcut

Yes u will hv to be really rich to spray them onto the grass lol.....if u are scared of touching them, wear rubber gloves and use tweezers.

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 22, 2002, 3:04 AM

Post #8 of 16 (3912 views)
Shortcut

Vallee goot good.
Now Inky will tell you life cycle of eggs, freeze and mice.
Eggs are when the chicken are hatched.
Freeze is when a mass becomes rock hard.
Mice is when you placed a piece of cheese on the table and next morning its gone!
Robot dog no, but still looking for machine that chases away above three things.

melanie
Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2002, 6:05 PM

Post #9 of 16 (3896 views)
Shortcut

AlamakCrazy I haven't check the price yet..sooo expensive arr!

Thank fyi.

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 24, 2002, 7:09 PM

Post #10 of 16 (3892 views)
Shortcut

All these branded products and pet care products are relatively expensive, because the manufacturers are capitalising on pet owners.
I have a product when given to your dog/puppy will totally eliminate ticks, fleas and mites for a period of three months and one treatment will only cost you RM10 - RM 15. The only probelm is I need to see you dog/puppy and then administered at my place.

melanie
Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2002, 11:56 PM

Post #11 of 16 (3883 views)
Shortcut

I am actually planning to come to your place somewhere these days (evening)after I take her for her first shot...

Blush

evehock
Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2002, 5:43 AM

Post #12 of 16 (3872 views)
Shortcut

Uncle,

Care to share with me your secret treatment? Tigger recently have few ticks... We use the tick's poison bath which normally can get from the Government's Vet Clinic.... Well, I think it only cost about RM12 per botol(small medicine botol)....but it's quite stronge... Unsure

Eve

prettycuter
Novice

Jun 25, 2002, 7:28 PM

Post #13 of 16 (3860 views)
Shortcut

uncle deric...like that i also wanna bring billy to see you..this weekend?

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 25, 2002, 10:05 PM

Post #14 of 16 (3855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prettycuter] Fleas, ticks & mites in puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Can do. You are always welcome.
Like to keep tab on Billy too. How is he looking now, no more loosing hair and made you worrying sick?

prettycuter
Novice

Jun 29, 2002, 12:13 AM

Post #15 of 16 (3836 views)
Shortcut

Hahaha..billy is doing good...nomore losing hair..but he hardly eat. Everyday he only eat 1 meal which is his dinner. Somemore he eats only 1small cup of kibbles. How to make him eat more? If he didn't finish the kibbles during his dinner i will have to leave the kibbles overnight for him to eat as supper or very early breakfast. He's kinda skinny..what's thebest way to keep him fat? Please advice Uncle Deric..and i should call you someday on Sunday to make an appointment to meet you!Tongue
---prettycuter---

toffee
Novice

Jun 29, 2002, 1:05 AM

Post #16 of 16 (3832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prettycuter] Fleas, ticks & mites in puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

I was told that we shouldn't leave the kibble overnight as it will attract bacteria. When my dog doesn't finish his kibble, all I have to do is mix it with some canned food (jsut a little) and he will finish it! I also add garlic to his food as I read that it was a natural anti-flea repellant.

Cheryl

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my