Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Blood Parasite??? Pls Help!

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Jul 25, 2003, 4:00 AM

Post #1 of 12 (801 views)
Shortcut
Blood Parasite??? Pls Help! Can't Post

My Salsa was experiencing diarhea two days back, and had to be put overnight with the vet last night. Vet did a blood test on her and mentioned some blood parasite which has caused her to lose her appetite and also to dehydrate. When i went to visit her today, she was so happy to see me, but she is still not eating and had to be put on drips. Vet said that normally it will take 3 days to recover, but yesterday he said Salsa only needed to be supervised for one night!!! When I questioned what if she still does not eat by 3 days, then he said to wait for 5 days!!! Please help me.. I can't bear for my baby to be far away from me... Should I change vet??
Papasan, Mamasan, Jerry, Salsa, Samseng & Junior

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2003, 4:13 AM

Post #2 of 12 (800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gwinn] Blood Parasite??? Pls Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Salsa only needed to be supervised for one night!!! When I questioned what if she still does not eat by 3 days, then he said to wait for 5 days!!! Please help me.. I can't bear for my baby to be far away from me... Should I change vet?? "

Well..I'm a little confused here. So she was with the vet for one day? and has to stay another 3 days? and if she still doesn't eat,she'll still have to stay for 5 days?Unsure

I think you should let her stay with the vet. I know its hard..I've been in the same situation. Only mine was longer. If the vet wants to the dog to stay with him under observation,there is a reason.

Hope your dog gets well soon Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Jul 25, 2003, 6:25 PM

Post #3 of 12 (791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Blood Parasite??? Pls Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your response dreamer.. I called the vet this morning and he said that she is doing well and I can take her home today.. praise God!

Have a nice day!

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 25, 2003, 6:45 PM

Post #4 of 12 (789 views)
Shortcut

How did they cure Salsa with that illness?? Blood Parasite.. how did it happen in the first place?

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 26, 2003, 7:20 AM

Post #5 of 12 (776 views)
Shortcut

Glad to hear the good news Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Jul 28, 2003, 5:21 PM

Post #6 of 12 (764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Blood Parasite??? Pls Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently, it's can be from mosquitoes or ticks.. and it just so happens, that the tick or mosquitoes that bit my baby has the parasite.. it is only active when the dog is weak, so it is important to always keep her healthy (don't we all?!?)

ANyway, she is better now although her appetite is still so so... but the affection that she gets from all around her makes her active enough! Sly

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 5:47 PM

Post #7 of 12 (762 views)
Shortcut

hi Gwinn, Smile

Glad ur doggie is getting well. Anyway, did ur vet mention how we can prevent it?

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 6:50 PM

Post #8 of 12 (750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Blood Parasite??? Pls Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

opps forgot to mention...how to prevent it other than keeping the dog healthy. Any preventive tablets to take?

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 7:18 PM

Post #9 of 12 (749 views)
Shortcut

Good to know that your dog is getting better.... Oh, I do really hate those fleas and ticks... they can really ruin my dog's appetite and health.. that's why every day, we have to brush her and do constant check on those blood sucking parasite!!! Frown

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Jul 28, 2003, 8:29 PM

Post #10 of 12 (747 views)
Shortcut

I don't think he mentioned anything about preventive tablets.. but he said that frontline helps.. you know the spray ones.. but it is only recommended to use once a month, because too much of that can intoxicate our babies. Do you walk your dog often?

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2003, 11:14 PM

Post #11 of 12 (745 views)
Shortcut

hi Gwinn, Smile

nope. I don't walk him often. He's only going to 6 months old. Didn't take him for walks at all when he was waiting for all his 3 vaccinations. I don't plan to walk him much until he's like about 8-10 months. I think he doesn't like going out of the house much. The times we want to take him out he's very reluctant to get out of the gate and woulde rather play in the garden. Maybe as a puppy, he's still a little afraid to go out.

But he gets a lot of exercise because we play catch and fetch with him every day at home and we play with him in our garden and porch too

Gwinn
Old Kaki

Aug 7, 2003, 7:51 PM

Post #12 of 12 (734 views)
Shortcut

Hi, since you don't walk your puppy as yet, I think you will have nothing to worry about, although.. when you pat him or rub him.. do make it a point to check for fleas or ticks.. got a friend who doesn't bring her dog out, and yet got fleas!! Better be safe than sorry!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my