May 25, 2003, 1:39 AM
Post #102 of 117
Re: [kinzonu] MKA Match/Exemption Dog Show.
[In reply to]
Congrats on taking the 1st step to the show ring! Understand yr tension but really, it's not that bad. Just use your obedience experience to yr advantage.
1. Always keep the dog on your left. This way, you won't be blocking the judge's view of your dog.
2. Use the STAND command when stacking. Right hand: Use the leash to hold the head up. Left hand: Hold the tail level per the goldies stacking pose. Note: Since yours is a Goldie, you will not be stacking yr dog on the table, but on the show ring floor.
3. The judge might ask you how old is the dog. Other than that, do not make attempts to strike up a conversation with the judge. Also, be advised that the judge might want to open the mouth to examine the teeth and bite. Try to condition yr dog to not to snap at the judge while he's doing that! Also, for dogs, be advised that the judge will feel his testicles to make sure there's 2 of them. If your dog is picky about people handling his rear end, try to condition him now.
3. When gaiting (moving round the ring), use the leash to hold the head up and run at a comfortable pace to show off your Goldie's gait to the max. advantage.
4. Very important, listen carefully to the judge and show steward when you are in the show ring. You will be asked to come into the ring in a specific sequence and the judge will ask you to gait your dog in either a triangle or straight up and down.
5. Wear smart casuals. At least a collared T-shirt and sneakers. This is to show respect to the judge and the match exemption show itself.
That's all I can think of now. Hope this helps.