food aggression

aspaul66
Dog Kichi

Jun 17, 2002, 9:53 PM

Post #1 of 11 (4193 views)
Shortcut
food aggression Can't Post

Hi everyone

i baaadly need advice on how to rehabilitate my adopted 2 year-old dog - to 'get rid' of his terrible food aggression. he has even gone for the people in the household.

anyone with experience or knowhow, please help - please share your knowledge!!

if you need more information, please state what i need to detail.

thanks in advance

aruna

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 18, 2002, 3:18 AM

Post #2 of 11 (4185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aspaul66] food aggression [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid it'll be tough to break this bad habit for a grown dog. It is possible, but tough, and you need to be wary of their teeth. Ideally, this kind of training should have started when he was a pup.

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 18, 2002, 4:04 AM

Post #3 of 11 (4183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] food aggression [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed and fully endorse your theory.
As a precautionary measure best you chain him up or cage him when he is given food. Whatever that's left over, remove it so that he is not gaurding his food.

aspaul66
Dog Kichi

Jun 18, 2002, 5:54 AM

Post #4 of 11 (4179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] food aggression [In reply to] Can't Post

he's always chained-up during feeding-time. in the beginning, when he first came to us (end apr-02) he didn't reveal his bad habit and we weren't aware of it; starting showing it only recently.

got a few questions:

1. when the food is served, how long should i wait before removing the bowl if he doesn't touch it (sometimes he doesn't want to eat)?

2. i am the one who feeds him every meal; should i ensure that it remains that way?

3. should the person whom he has bitten before try to feed him - to show that they are not interested in eating his food - or will the dog attack them while they're serving?

thanks in advance

as

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 18, 2002, 6:23 AM

Post #5 of 11 (4175 views)
Shortcut

There are 2 possibilities. He could have undergone a sudden change of personality. The other, perhaps when he was eating, the children might have been looking at him and some how he thought the children are trying to steal the food from him.
If the food is served, leave it there for 15 to 20 minutes and if he doesn't touch it, too bad for him. I have 8 and bred 100's of puppies. Never have I come across a Dalmatian who is not greedy and gulp down the food like a hungry ghost.
To eliminate the risks for some one to get bitten, you better continue it this way. I met your Oliver and in my opinion I think he is cranky and very unpredictable. Don't take the unnecessary risks.
You saw what happened, when I first walked in he was friendly and showed no sign of aggression. I played with him, offered him all kind of affection. and in a matter of moment, I could see and sense killer instint in his eyes. It is not suspicion.

aspaul66
Dog Kichi

Jun 19, 2002, 9:26 PM

Post #6 of 11 (4160 views)
Shortcut

hi again uncle dk

thanks for all the pointers; noted and will be very careful.

btw we saw the black iron railings (is that what u call it) that u have put up for yr dals; we are thinking of doing something similar to hold olie within; not covered to the ceiling and make him feel like a tiger in cage, but the open concept that you have.

as

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 20, 2002, 1:29 AM

Post #7 of 11 (4151 views)
Shortcut

Tis the best way to contain a dog. Did you see me with a crate? Find a suitable corner with two walls, then fence it up with railings with a 2 foot door. Its cost effective and good for the dog.
As for smaller dogs, you can DIY and the material cost will most probably be RM40 to 50. Enough space to exercise and solve every problem of sheeeee sheeeee and poooo poooooo and you can keep it there until kingdom comes. So frankly speaking I don't understand why others are having such problem of a problem in house training a dog.

(This post was edited by Derrickok on Jun 20, 2002, 1:37 AM)

wmeng
Dog Kichi

Jun 20, 2002, 1:54 AM

Post #8 of 11 (4147 views)
Shortcut

Uncle Derrick,

Yes, you were right. Instead of letting him pee and poo poo everywhere in the house and in the crate, I have come to a solution. I put the crate right in front of toilet door (the crate fits just nice to the door way).Wink and cover all the toilet floor with newspapers. Yes, it works!!! He will go out from the crate to the toilet to do business and thereafter return to the crate to play, drink and sleep.

I will have a good nite's sleep tonite.. No need to get up at 6am to let him out.SlySlySly

I let him out to the living room now and hopefully he will go to the toilet whenever nature calls.... Amen..Smile
ENG
Proud owner of George, a male pug puppy
Born: 10/3/02

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 20, 2002, 2:18 AM

Post #9 of 11 (4144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmeng] food aggression [In reply to] Can't Post

God bless you. One of those very few smart lady who could outwit the psychology of a dog.

aspaul66
Dog Kichi

Jun 20, 2002, 10:34 PM

Post #10 of 11 (4125 views)
Shortcut

uncle dk, just curious. you mentioned that for small dogs we can DIY. how? with what type of materials? olden-days pagar for chicken coopkah; or the green mosquito netting?

as

KawChai
Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2002, 9:35 PM

Post #11 of 11 (4080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmeng] food aggression [In reply to] Can't Post

Wmeng,

Does George tear the newspaper on the floor ?

I think george is about 8-9 monhts old now ?
Any changes in his character compared to last time ?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my