IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Bladder Control

delithra

Jun 17, 2002, 6:59 PM

Post #1 of 20 (3943 views)
Shortcut
Bladder Control Can't Post

OK, here's the scenario. I know pups dont have bladder control. Once we get our pup, we intend to 'train' it to 'go' outside. This means that I would get up at 6.30am, feed it and let it out. Then its back inside by 8am.

the next round of food/water/and freedom is at 12.15pm for about 40 minutes.

after that, he'll be let out at 5.30pm until nightfall.

between these times when we are at work, IF we were to leave water in a dish and the pup has its fill of the water and needs to go, would it be able to hold its bladder since we will be training it to eliminate outside? i dont want the pup holding its bladder like this, for the want of it developing bladder problems. should we then NOT put any water in the cage/crate between 9 am-12.15pm, and from 12.45pm-5.30pm?

Please help somone !! I oso dunno what to do Unsure I dont want it to suffer without water, and I dont want it holding its wee wee and getting bladder stones!!

Thanks.

Worried New-Mother,

deli

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jun 17, 2002, 7:58 PM

Post #2 of 20 (3938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [delithra] Bladder Control [In reply to] Can't Post

hi deli,
How old is Axel? 8 - 9 weeks?
Has he been 'semi' house-trained by his breeder?
Based on my experience with Rex, ( he was 11 weeks then), he was able to hold the wee-wee for 11 hours! (From 8 a.m - 7 p.m) . During that period, he usually drank about 400 ml of water.
Water is a must for the pup. U can try by putting 300ml in your 'mineral water' bottle, then gradually increase the intake. I assume u r putting him inside the house, else u probably need more water. Pls. don't put water in the bowl as he (being a water-loving dog) will mess it all up.

Very important, pls. make sure he has wee-wee and poo-poo before u crate him inside the house again.

Have fun Wink

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

delithra

Jun 17, 2002, 9:50 PM

Post #3 of 20 (3929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Bladder Control [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi CD,

Well he will be 11 weeks when we get him. I bought a stainless steel container that can be screwed into the side of the cage. The cage is a 3 foot white one with the rollers which is too large at the moment. When a cage is too large they might do their business in there.

But Axl is semi trained as his litter mates and himself actually whine to be let out when they need to go. Yes, the breeder has told me to expect the pup sitting in the water bowl at times. He says that they bark only for food, and when its too hot. I have to keep a fan next to his cage Sly!!

I have bought him a baby pool (collapsable one) Wink!!! Can't wait to collect him! We will watch him drinking his water very closely the first few days , to grasp how much he drinks and when he needs to go. But training starts from the first day he comes home. HUbby is great at training, as he has the patience and is strict.

Will get a picture loaded once we have him!

deli

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 18, 2002, 3:13 AM

Post #4 of 20 (3920 views)
Shortcut

Well, sounds like you've got everything planned well! Let us know how the training comes along... and do take a picture of him in the pool! Smile

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 18, 2002, 3:58 AM

Post #5 of 20 (3918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Bladder Control [In reply to] Can't Post

"Have you given your dog a hug today??"
She hasn't brought her puppy home yet. Meanwhile, she is still hugging her husband!

delithra

Jun 18, 2002, 10:48 PM

Post #6 of 20 (3902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Bladder Control [In reply to] Can't Post

hahahaha....husband has no complaints so far about the delay in bringing the pup home Wink. But cannot hug for long time, because might block out a goal scoring moment on tv.

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 19, 2002, 1:53 AM

Post #7 of 20 (3891 views)
Shortcut

GOAL!!! Can't miss those Wink

-= Tisha =-

evehock
Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2002, 5:06 AM

Post #8 of 20 (3885 views)
Shortcut

FrownAiya,

Same here too... My hubby push me away (when hugging) just to shout GOALLLL....Crazy.

Eve

jason
Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2002, 11:02 PM

Post #9 of 20 (3856 views)
Shortcut

Hi cdmoo,

Wah! Yours can hold for 11 hours when he is 11 weeks? That's greatTongue. Unfortunately, for my younger male boxer, he caused the problem for me Mad. He will poo and pee wherever and whenever he wants to when we are at work from 9 to 6 everyday. He is now 8 months old and I think he should be able to control his bladder by now. I bring him outside to do his business every morning at 7 am before breakfast. Then I will leave him roam around until I am back. Actually, I plan to house-train him to poo and pee twice a day, which are at 7am and 7 pm. So, I don't need to clean up all the messes every morning when I wake up and every evening when I back from work. Any advise? or suggestions for the training methods? Helpppp!!!BlushSmile

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jul 18, 2002, 11:42 PM

Post #10 of 20 (3854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Bladder Control [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jason,
Rex has been house-trained from young by his home-breeder. There's another good reason NOT to buy pup. from Pet Shops as pet shop owners will never let their doggies out to do the business. Wink

Rex is caged when we r out for work ( 8 am - 6.45 p.m) . How did he manage to hold that long? I suppose I have just fed him enough water (NOW is 750 ml, he's 6-months+ ) for the day. And most importantly, before u cage him, MAKE SURE he's relieved TOTALLY. Based on ur earlier email, I understand that u two boxers are wandering in the yard. .. and of course, they will do their business at anytime they feel like it. But the problem is, if u cage them now, they probably could not hold that long. After all, they r being used to the *freedom* to pee.
Smile. My suggestion is , u start ur training during weekends (when u r home). Cage them for most of the days (minimum 5 hours) and observe. Don't entertain or play with them. If they can 'tahan', gradually stretch the 'caging period'. Hope this helps.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

jason
Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2002, 12:41 AM

Post #11 of 20 (3848 views)
Shortcut

Hi cdmoo, thanks for the suggestion!Smile

If I am not wrong, you were talking about 'Cage Training', right? If this is the case, then the size of the cage comes into matter. What size are you using for Rex? Did you mean that using a suitable (just enough to them to turn around) size cage to train them since they don't like to dirty the place in nature? I did cage him before this, but he still pee and poo inside the cage Unsure.

Regards

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jul 19, 2002, 1:08 AM

Post #12 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut

hi Jason,
Yes. ... more on 'cage' rather than 'house'.
The cage is of 4' (L) X 2.5' (W) X 2.5' (H) with some toys & kong in it. I have this cage when he was 3 months old...it was a bit oversize for him. Now, he has grown up a lot, anyway the cage still fits.

Based on ur feedback, I'm afraid it's a bit hard to train him lah Frown
regards,

CD Moo

wmeng
Dog Kichi

Jul 19, 2002, 4:49 AM

Post #13 of 20 (3838 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Cdmoo,

I will be on holiday for two weeks end of this month. Plan to take my pup to my in-law's house when I am away. He has a toilet all by himself now and the cage is opened at all times. He goes to do his business on the newspaper in the toilet whenever he wants. So far no accident in the cage.

My concern now is he might not have this kind of 'privilege' at my in-law's house. If he happens to pee and poo in the cage in this two weeks, will it be hard for me to correct his bad habit as he is not used to control his bladder?

Please advise.
ENG
Proud owner of George, a male pug puppy
Born: 10/3/02

les
K9 Maniac

Jul 19, 2002, 11:06 AM

Post #14 of 20 (3829 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmeng] Bladder Control [In reply to] Can't Post

Sighs.. (again)

So glad to hear that George can go to toilet and no accident happens. Why oh why that my lil notty Sunny is so notty... He knows that wer his toilet is.. but he is now always pee and wee outside his toilet.. and he will really climbs into my bed and do the buz.. Mad Im goin gila liao... i think ive tried scold him.. and even now.. have to look for stick.. he is like do it purposely.. Pirate Why im sayin that.. Ohkie.. Im am cleaning his wee wee... and he will poo at my side while im cleaning.. and somemore giving me those kind of look.. UrgghhHHhhh... MadPirate I knew it! I knew it! He purposely one!!!!

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jul 19, 2002, 5:15 PM

Post #15 of 20 (3825 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eng,

Will there be people in the house all the time? If so, can they (or ur inlaw, perhaps) bring him out for business, occasionally? Now, he''s runing free in the house, and he's got freedom to do if he feels like it. For the days to come (now till end of the month) , try to tie him in the crate, and only relief him after every 4-5 hours. If currently no one is at home during weekdays, then u should start on weekends
Also, observe any pattern/frequency of his business. For example, when does he normally poos? Before and after meals ? Before/after play time? etc..
If there's a pattern, advise ur in-law to free him in the yard according to his schedule.. Also, don't let him has a free run of water & food, this will help to reduce the frequencies. Wink

As for me, when I was holiday (only 2 nites) , I let Rex wandering in the yard, and he will do his business on the garden...

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

(This post was edited by cdmoo on Jul 19, 2002, 5:17 PM)

wmeng
Dog Kichi

Jul 19, 2002, 5:23 PM

Post #16 of 20 (3822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] Bladder Control [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Les:

Do you cage Sunny? George's movement zone is limited to the toilet and his cage when he is caged. I let him out four times a day for around 30 mins - 45 mins each time to play.

I had the same problem as yours when I first brought George home and didn't cage him at all. He did his business everywhere in the house and that drove me mad. We resorted to cage training out of no choice.

At first, I thought cage training was cruel to my lil baby but now I think this is good. I cage him wherenever I can't keep an eye on him. He seems to like his cage very much and will jump into the cage whenever I say 'Go Inside' coz he knows he will sure get a small bite of treats. Doggies.... just like humans.... hahahaha....
SmileSmile
ENG

wmeng
Dog Kichi

Jul 19, 2002, 5:37 PM

Post #17 of 20 (3821 views)
Shortcut

Hi, cdmoo,

Yes, my dad in-law is always at home. Forgot to tell you, he is not running free in the house all the time. I cage him when I can't keep an eye on him.

Thanks for your suggestion. I think it will work I still have 12 days to train him to hold his bladder.

Will let you know the outcome.
ENG

les
K9 Maniac

Jul 20, 2002, 1:39 AM

Post #18 of 20 (3812 views)
Shortcut

Haha.. i see i see. I knew that must be something wrong with my method. Yeah.. Sunny got lotsa space in my room.. I'll try ur method and see whether it works or not. Thanks! Smile

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

jason
Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2002, 9:54 PM

Post #19 of 20 (3796 views)
Shortcut

Hi cdmoo,

Your cage is the type with roof and wire mesh? What type of foundation/floor it uses? I would like to get soon for my 2 boxers. Where and how much you get it?

Regards

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jul 22, 2002, 10:01 PM

Post #20 of 20 (3794 views)
Shortcut

hi jason,
it's wire mesh all over Laugh.
it's a DIY type. Can't remember the exact cost..but it's close to $200. I got this one from a petshop in USJ 9 Business Center.
Due to rain/washing, there's a lilttle bit of rust here & there.. Of course, I don't expect anything from a $200 kind of cage .. Sly
Smile
regards,

CD Moo

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my