IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Show and Championship:
Agility Championships

milooh

Jul 22, 2003, 8:19 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Agility Championships Can't Post

Jef decided to qualify for the agility championships organized by NADAC (North American Dog Agility Council) because its closer to us this year. The championships is a 5 day event, 9/24 - 9/28, in Spruce Meadows, Calgary, Canada. We had to make 3 trips to Cataldo, Idaho so that both Milo and IRiS could earn enough points to qualify. Its about 5.5 hours to Cataldo and we had to bring all 4 dogs with us. Feeding and pottying was a bit tricky but we managed. Smile

IRiS earned enough points during our second trip and we had to go back for a final trip so that Milo could earn his final 5 points and he did it in the first run on Saturday, 7/19. Luckily he did what he did because he failed to qualify in the next 3 rounds. It was a close call.Tongue It was very very warm about 35 - 38 degrees celsius and the air was so dry. But luckily, there is a creek where we brought our dogs swimming to cool them down.

So now its going to be planning and booking for hotels. I think we are going with Holiday Inn as its only US$73 per night, a $50 one time charge for pets (max 4 allowed) and all the rooms come with micro waves and fridges. Breakfast is also included and its about a 10 minute drive to Spring Meadows. We have talked about getting a camper or a travel trailer but its going to be a next year event before we could afford that.

Anyway, I can't wait to go as I have not been to Calgary. Laugh The last time we were in Canada was in July 2000 and we went as far as Vancouver.

Rossie aka Milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

(This post was edited by milooh on Jul 22, 2003, 8:20 AM)

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 22, 2003, 9:43 AM

Post #2 of 9 (1462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] Agility Championships [In reply to] Can't Post

Rossie,

Good luck to you and Jef and all the best to your dogs! Smile Is it true that pets are allowed in all Holiday Inn?

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

luckey
ALPHA

Jul 22, 2003, 9:56 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1460 views)
Shortcut

hey well done to Milo and Iris... hey since you guys are so experiencedin agility (coz am thinking of doing this more seriously with Luckey)is it dangerous? e.g. on the dogwalk when it gets high - if they get distracted or something? have there been cases where dogs fall off and really hurt themselves? Crazy

amreally keen to tke luckey urther with this sport coz she seems to really like it, but just have slight reservation coz of the danger factor...

milooh

Jul 22, 2003, 12:27 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Agility Championships [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, there have been cases where dogs fall off the dogwalk, trip on weave poles, hang themselves jumping over tyres, etc. Its not only the dogwalk that is kind of dangerous especially after it rains. Milo has fallen off the dogwalks a couple of times and we suspected that it caused his shoulder injury a year ago. Dogs fall off the dogwalk due to excitement, slippery conditions (after rain) and inexperience. Jef has learned that if your dog goes off course and does the dog walk, let the dog continue to the downside before calling your dog to the correct obstacle. Distracting the dog on the dogwalk is dangerous and that was what Jef did to Milo.

There is always a danger factor with every sport. Your dog will learn from experience and depending on your dog's speed, you can say easy or try to maneuver your dog smoothly on to the dogwalk. But sometimes things just happen. If you enter your dog in a run and you feel nervous about doing the dogwalk after a rainy day, just scratch the event. Alternatively, if you feel uncomfortable doing contacts in general and you feel that your dog is not ready, just enter your dog in the jumpers event and not the regular event that has dogwalk. There are two versions of the dogwalk that I have seen in Western Washington, a regular and mini dogwalk. So the mini dogwalk is not that high but I dont know the exact measurements.

To answer 's question, I think most Holiday Inn hotels take pets but call first and confirm or visit their website. Smile

Rossie aka Milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

luckey
ALPHA

Jul 23, 2003, 9:51 AM

Post #5 of 9 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for sharing your experiences... well, my dog Luckey is just a cocker, so she's pretty small for the high dogwalks. I trie her o oe the other day and she managed to walk it (this was her first time on it)but if we're doing agility against the clock, dont know if she'd trip and fall off, coz she can get very excitable, especially with lots of people around.

Malaysia doesnt have formal agility competitions yet, am hoping they will start, but we are planning to do a demo at the next dogshow... not enough people do agility with their dogs here to warrant competitions, probably also coz the only training is the training which is once a week and limited places available due to shortage of trainers compare with demand.

Am hoping to get luckey ready for the demo, and hopefully if interest catches on, then more people will sign up for agility and we can start also organizing agility shows.

ps apartfrom sprains adbruises, has any dog broken anything from agility?

milooh

Jul 23, 2003, 5:39 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Agility Championships [In reply to] Can't Post

We suspected that Milo broke his shoulder due to a fall off the dogwalk in class. Sometimes it depends on how your dog falls. I think Milo has learned his lesson because he has fallen off a couple of times and he seems fine. We also suspected that IRiS, our second dog, pulled a shoulder muscle due to going up and down the A frame. Going up and down the A frame is very hard on the dog's shoulders. One good idea is to give supplements like CO10 if you think the dog is hurt. This is to speed up your dog's recovery.

It's really advisable to take preagility classes so your dog is introduced to all the obstacles slowly. In preagility, a ladder is laid on the ground and the dog has to walk slowly through the rungs. This practice teaches the dog to be aware of its footing especially on contacts like the dogwalk.

Well, hopefully the folks in Malaysia will catch interest quickly so we can talk about agility more often. Have fun in the meantime.

Rossie aka Milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

(This post was edited by milooh on Jul 23, 2003, 6:15 PM)

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2003, 1:40 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1414 views)
Shortcut

Hi Rossie,

Since you and Jef doing a lot of agility with your furkids, you might know this... how much would it be for a full set of the agility-equipment? How and where to look up for a better "brands" or the equipments?

(This post was edited by mackmack on Jul 25, 2003, 1:40 PM)

milooh

Jul 25, 2003, 6:48 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1408 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Agility Championships [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, Jef is the one who always buys and orders stuff so I asked him. This is what he said:

"A lot of money. You got at least $1600 in contacts, Tunnels are around $180 each and you need at least 2 or 3, a tire will be around $150, jumps are probably in the $60 to $80 range and you need 15 at least. Then you have a double, a triple and a broad jump that you would need 1 of and they are over $100 each I am sure. Oh, and a table is gonna be over $100 with interchangeable legs."

But here is the link to a Agility A go go. It is owned by Ric Travis whom we know personally. Most of the AKC trials use Ric's agility equipment and we buy a lot of used equipment from him. We dont look for a particular "brand" because when you go a trial and like the equipment, we ask Ric and he sells them to us.

http://www.agilityagogo.com/about.html

Rossie aka Milooh

Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2003, 7:06 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1405 views)
Shortcut

Rossie,

Thanks for the info. It pretty much gimme a preliminary budget on agility expenditure. Truely appreciated. Will bug you later if I need any further help from you.Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my