Curious!!! Curious!!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Alyssa

Jul 22, 2003, 5:16 AM

Post #1 of 36 (2969 views)
Shortcut
Curious!!! Curious!!!! Can't Post

Hai all.....

I hope i can get some advice/tips from you all... Well, you see, I dont have a dog yet and hoping to get one soon.... Can someone tell me, how much do u guys spend monthly for everything for ur furry fren??? What is the right things to get before getting a pup??? And, how much do u spend when u send them to the vet??? how often do they need check up???

I plan to get a small pup. And, I just started work so I am kind of in a tight budget but i really really wan to get a pup......

Any advice/tips/ideas..... will be very much appreaciated.....

Angelic

(This post was edited by Alyssa on Jul 22, 2003, 5:17 AM)

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jul 22, 2003, 5:33 PM

Post #2 of 36 (2949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Alyssa] Curious!!! Curious!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Alyssa, How much to spend monthly on our dog is really depent on what breed do you own, the size of your dog, the diet of your dog, and etc... your can refer to this thread "How much do you spent on your dog per month (average per dog)" under "POLL".

Smile Eliza

arial
Dog Kichi

Jul 22, 2003, 6:04 PM

Post #3 of 36 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Alyssa,

just started work, huh? Do you really have time for the doggie? besides $$$, do you work late? Are your doggie going be alone most of the time??? if you can;t give it time, it will be an attention seeker!

Intention very nobel!! but is it time now???

jacng
Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2003, 6:06 PM

Post #4 of 36 (2946 views)
Shortcut

hi alyssa

glad to see that u are doing research first b4 getting a doggie... besides considering the $$$ factor, i feel that you should also consider the time that you have to spend with ur furkid.... it's like having a child at home, u know..Wink

ok... first u'll have to see which breed would you prefer... i think from your post you've decided on toy breed.. that's great..

i'll elaborate on $$$ first....

i have a 6 month old bichon x shih tzu mix.... looks like bichon but have fur like shih tzu...

monthly expenses....
Dog food - RM40
Supplements - RM15
Shampoo - RM14(actually 2 months 1 bottle so RM7 per month kwah)
Heartgard to prevent heart worm - RM12

one time expenses....
first 3 jabs(2nd, 3rd and 4th month) - RM35 each so altogether RM105, after first 3 jabs, it will be yearly jab
water bottle - RM15
crate - RM45

optional expenses....
toys, rugs etc etc depending on what u buy....
nail cutter.... if u plan to cut his nails yourself

medical expenses....
depending on what kind of illness... my furkid had some skin problem and we spent abt RM80 on vet fee and special shampoo...

grooming (if long coat) abt 6 months once....
?? but was told to be abt RM50 - 80.. haven't sent him for grooming yet so dunno the exact price

They dun need things like monthly check up if there is nothing wrong with them but it's good if u have a vet nearby and can visit them now and then to have a rapport with them so that if there is any emergency, u will know who to contact...

now abt time that u need to spend with ur furkid....
if u are getting a young pup, u'll need to toilet train him.. this will need constant monitoring and gentle teaching for about 1 week... and in that one week you might be frustrated Wink. In the first few days, you might also experience sleepless nights as your furkid might kacau u all through the night as he try to get use to the new surroundings. To have a obedient furkid, you'll also have to spend time to train him.

You'll also need to consider ur furkid's temperament when u select one. If you prefer a quiet dog, go for pugs or shih tzus. Min Pin and chihuahuas in general will be more noisy. And be sure to get ur furkid thorugh a reputable breeder.... Read though the puppy mills and pet shop posts in the forum to find out why...

Well, I do hope that this info is useful for you to make a decision.... And I do hope that u could get a furkid soon... the joy just outweighs the costs and inconvenience.

Cheers! .....jac

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 22, 2003, 6:09 PM

Post #5 of 36 (2945 views)
Shortcut

How much you spend will depend on the breed and how you take care of your dog. If you're taking a small breed, it'll probably cost bout < 40 for their monthly makan. First 3 vaccination is monthly and then after that it's yearly. Dog shampoo, toys, bowl, drinking bottle and treats are all the other xtras...

Regards,
Swee Eng

Alyssa

Jul 22, 2003, 6:16 PM

Post #6 of 36 (2943 views)
Shortcut

Thanks so much guys, for all the above information......
Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 22, 2003, 6:32 PM

Post #7 of 36 (2939 views)
Shortcut

so have u got any particular breed in mind now?? Smile

Alyssa

Jul 22, 2003, 7:53 PM

Post #8 of 36 (2934 views)
Shortcut

Shih Tzu or Pekingese !!!! Wat do u think??? Shocked ..... by the way, wat breed is urs?? i mean the one in the pic??? its so nice too.....

(This post was edited by Alyssa on Jul 22, 2003, 7:56 PM)

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 23, 2003, 12:35 AM

Post #9 of 36 (2925 views)
Shortcut

That breed that you have on the pic looks like a maltese or terrier...

Regards,
Swee Eng

Alyssa

Jul 23, 2003, 5:30 AM

Post #10 of 36 (2915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Curious!!! Curious!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hai there.....

thanks sweeeng for letting me know the kind of breed of the dog i have on the pic. i really still cant differentiate the dogs........... Blush

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 23, 2003, 8:30 AM

Post #11 of 36 (2912 views)
Shortcut

That's a Japanese Spitz cross Dachshund. He was my first dog, now currently missing...called Richie. Smile I now own a Jap Spitz puppy called Sparkle now. Wink

Shih Tzu are one of my favourite breed of dogs!! But I can't get one right now as I don't have enough time for grooming and all that. Pekingnese are very cute too but hehehehe both dogs u mentioned require A LOT of time for grooming, brushing, etc....DAILY!! ShockedCool

But I will get a Shih Tzu one day!! Smile

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jul 23, 2003, 4:46 PM

Post #12 of 36 (2907 views)
Shortcut

Hello there,
well, big dogs may have more expense than small dogs. I spent approx. RM150 on my Golden. But that doesn't affect my love to her.
Pls engage with good and responsible breeder. and do more research on what breed do you like. Don't go for look. All puppies are cute. If you are active person, go for out-going dogs; if not, go for stay-at-home dogs.
I brough Trivor to vbet for med checking the very 1st day. And subsequently vaccines and regular check up.

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

junkgirl
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2003, 5:19 PM

Post #13 of 36 (2905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Curious!!! Curious!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

i m not an active person so i prefer a stay-at-home, couch-potato type of dog although i m willing take my to-be-dogs out for slow walks. I m looking to get GRs as i think they are a more relaxed, calmer breed (after proper training, of course) which is suitable for me ( i live the peaceful, quiet and fuss-free lifestyle). Do u think GRs will not be suitable for me due my my "inactiveness"/laziness??Tongue
JunkGirl
- Dogs R For Life -

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 23, 2003, 7:20 PM

Post #14 of 36 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Ooops... sorry. Maybe I've got the breed wrong...

regards,
swee eng

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jul 24, 2003, 4:30 PM

Post #15 of 36 (2881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [junkgirl] Curious!!! Curious!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,
Golden is not hyperactive dog but requires exercise thouhg. A 20 min jogging or swimming are very good exercise indeed... Golden has excellent temperament and with no porblem for inexperience owner.
Also, Golden sheds pretty much too. So be prepared to see fur ballz flying here and there... Wink Regular grooming is a must. And my goldie eats alot too. I spent approx. RM150 a month on her food and misc. She is 7 months old and still growing, imagine?
And Golden is not watch dog. Don't expect they chase and bite people or bark at strangers. In fact, they greet every1. Trivor seldom bark unless she is damn bored. That makes her a quiet pet and my neighbours are happy~ we are happy too~
Not trying to scare you, but very pitty to see dogs being abondoned because of mistakes. My friend's friend just threw her Golden away to an unknown person because she finally realised that Golden is not her type. Too bad and so sad for the dog huhh?
However, nothing affects my love to Golden. She is the best and wondeful dog I have ever had!!! It is hard to change my mind to get other breeds~Cool Golden forever!!
Feel free to drop me any quesitons. I love to answer about Golden!!

~ Trivor ~

junkgirl
Dog Kichi

Jul 24, 2003, 7:44 PM

Post #16 of 36 (2875 views)
Shortcut

I agree with u Trivor that abandoned dogs and puppies r very pitiful. That's y i m doing all my homework before getting puppies. Ppl shouldn't just buy the dog/puppy out of impulse and also know what breed suits them and not just because of their physical appearance.

What sort of grooming do u give ur GR? Is brushing them weekly ok? SInce their coat r not like MS or other dogs that require prof. grooming.

My only concerns about getting GRs are:-

- i am not very active..i hardly do any exercise so if i get a GR, i'll take it for a walk in the morning before work (which means i have to get up at 6a.m. Crazyaaarrggg!! cos i have to leave the house to go to work at around 7 a.m..but "bo pian"..for my GRs health's sake). Will walks be sufficient for my potential GR? But i have a quite good size yard for it to run around.

- On the weekdays my GR will have to be without human around the house cos i have to "cari makan" to feed us. I don't get home till around 7-7.30 pm!!!Frown..that's y i m getting 2 puppies so at least they have each other while i m not around. I will train them to avoid separation anxiety. Hmm...if i don't have to work that long hrs..i will sure get them straight away..but life is hard...hehhe.
JunkGirl
- Dogs R For Life -

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jul 24, 2003, 9:40 PM

Post #17 of 36 (2872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [junkgirl] Curious!!! Curious!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,
Hmmm, well, overall, golden is perfect pet for all. BUT again, they need exercise to keep them behave well...
I would say a 20 min walk everyday is good. If time allow, pls join agility training on the weekend. That will be sufficient to burn off the excessive energy.
Mee too. I work 8 hours + a day and come home only 6-7pm. Trivor behaves well so far. I didn't sent her for training in fact. we train ourself (not professional but basic like come, down, sit, hi, hi-five, roll-over, freeze, dead...). So I try to allocate all my free time in the evening and weekend with her. I turn on radio and TV when I'm not at home. The music and voice could entertain her a bit. I can afford to go home as my office is only 5 min drive from home. A bit luckly lahh~
Do consider the size too. They can grown to 22-30KG, and shit like human Tongue. House training is a must before puppy grows to adult.
I brush Trivor everyday without fail. She has dandruff problem so I will have to brush and massage her everyday. I don't engage professional groomer as we will bond closer if we have body contact. Everything should start as ealy as possible when they are small. You will have problem to clip the nails and brush the coat when they become huge...
Really glad that you have done the homework Laugh If Golden is really your choice, don't think twice. Go for it and you won't regret!!! Golden is a wonderful dog and so loving and dearly...

p/s: Pls engage with good and responsible breeder as Golden tends to inherit Hip Dyplasia. Don't buy from cheap breeder or pet shops as the source is unknown. Pls check the parents and puppy's attitude. If both of them are aggressive or overshy, don't get their puppies as they tends to inherit the bad attitute, vice versa...

Good luck!!

~ Trivor ~

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2003, 12:24 AM

Post #18 of 36 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Nice sharing, I enjoy reading from other Golden owners.... Smile

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jul 25, 2003, 12:25 AM

Post #19 of 36 (2863 views)
Shortcut

SmileLaugh hello,

basicly i spend much more on my dogs than spending on myself... sigh !!Crazy
~~~ It'S a DoGgY DoG WorLD~~

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

YUMIKO masaki @ charming PARIS girl
love's dogs... true dog lover !!!
My PETS, My FRIEND, My FAMILY

MY DEAREST MITCHER BOY MUMMY WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 13TH MAY 2007

Alyssa

Jul 25, 2003, 3:16 AM

Post #20 of 36 (2854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yumiko_masaki] Curious!!! Curious!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your furkid name' is Mitcher,rite??? hehehe.... Lucky him lah.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jul 25, 2003, 3:46 PM

Post #21 of 36 (2851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Curious!!! Curious!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaaa~ some real life experiences!!
So many things to share but afraid Alyssa might fall asleep... haahaaa Laugh

~ Trivor ~

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2003, 3:47 PM

Post #22 of 36 (2852 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm.... Alyssa might fall asleep, but is here to listen to the "radio"~Wink

(This post was edited by mackmack on Jul 25, 2003, 3:47 PM)

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 25, 2003, 5:49 PM

Post #23 of 36 (2845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Curious!!! Curious!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey... how can u put a GR's pic and write there pug?? Didn't know that pug already change face... he..he..

Regards,
Swee ENg

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 25, 2003, 5:52 PM

Post #24 of 36 (2843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Curious!!! Curious!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

the GR that snort snort here & gort gort there in the pug and wagging the rear~Laugh Kakkakakaka.... can you see my rear???Laugh You don't know meh~ I'm now the PR GURU~Laugh

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 25, 2003, 7:40 PM

Post #25 of 36 (2835 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

those two requires alot of grooming ya... are you sure you are ready to invest the time and money if you get those breed?? Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my