ROTTWEILER PUPPY 21/2 MONTHS

h0tgunn
New User

Jul 22, 2003, 1:20 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1810 views)
Shortcut
ROTTWEILER PUPPY 21/2 MONTHS Can't Post

Any Doctors or breeders,, Please help!
My Rottweiler puppy (21/2months) is having some hair loss, itchiness, and gray patch under his knee. What should I do? Do I need to be alarmed? Is it a skin allergies due to dog food , palce wer he stay since the flooring is cement? Can this gray patches be removed when he grow up?
Appreciate a lot if you can help me here...

kathleen.tay
Canine Addict

Jul 22, 2003, 1:41 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [h0tgunn] ROTTWEILER PUPPY 21/2 MONTHS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi !

Not sure but someone told me once that it is a cement cut .... due to constant contact of the elbow and the cement floor ...Smile
A Dog Never Lies About Love

chilimson

Jul 22, 2003, 5:16 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Your puppy is just 10weeks old and I assume you just brought it home. If the hair loss is on where the pressure is when the puppy is resting, then give him a carpet or a rug. The hair will grow back gradually. You are very brief in your description, are both knees affected? If yes, then you should train the puppy to lie on the side and not with the hind legs spread. Rub some olive oil or vitamin E oil on the spot.

h0tgunn
New User

Jul 22, 2003, 5:18 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chilimson] ROTTWEILER PUPPY 21/2 MONTHS [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHi Chilimson, tnx for your informative response. actually the gray patches are both on his elbows,, im just afraid his hair might not grow to his elbows again.. is this possible??? how about his itchiness? would it possible this is a skin infection? is it dog food allergic? rigth now i pla to shift from eukanuba for puppy large breed to eukanuba for puppy lamb n rice..1 more thing do i need to use dr kauffman soap to him? any suggection to his soap n shampoo?
tnx a lot n more power!

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2003, 4:49 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1791 views)
Shortcut

Hi hotgunn,

I m not sure this will help, but when I got my my GSD pup around 2 mths of age, his elbow also dun have hairs, there were also patches of blister on both elbows. After consulting wt the vet , we put him on this antibiotic cream (I thk it is called 'fucidin' - u can get it at any pharmacy b'coz it is for human) , well the patches cleared up a week later, followed by the hair growing back in a week or so after.

Well from what the vet say, he suspect it could be the environment where the breeder placed their litter together, u know the puppies' feaces & urine & if they r not cleared regularly will cause the presence of bacteria to grow rapidly which will infect any parts of the body which has cuts/wounds/bruises and since the elbow is the part of body which touches the floor regularly when the puppy is sleeping/crawling around so they r prone to infection.Unsure

So me think u dun have to worrry, once the patches is cleared, their hair will grow back.Smile

"Show me your dog and I'll tell you what manner of man you are."
(GSD Founder - Capt Max V Stephanitz)

chilimson

Jul 23, 2003, 5:59 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Hi, it is really quite normal to have puppies to have this problem, and you must now make sure that it is clean and not suffering from any infection. That is dry and no puss or any sign of sore. Let the puppy rest of soft ground, like rug, sand or grass, and you should see the grey area growing hair back. Apply some oil on the spot and it should be okay. Remember this is the dog resting spot and pressure point.

Could you elaborate what you mean by itchness? Is the puppy scratching on the grey spot? Is there ticks or fleas? Are there other hot spots?

You could put some fish oil into your supplement, and it will definitely help the hair to grow back and the coat will be extremely beautiful. Dogs need some oil just beneath the skin for the coat to stay healthy, and so continuous washing with shampoo and soap will only make the skin dry and create skin problem. Just wipe the dust off or use only water to clean the puppy, and not think of using all kinds of strong cleaning detergent.

I have written somewhere esle concerning dog food and please do some research as not all dog food are the same. Expensive does not equal good, just marketing and branding.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my