Hello! I am new.....what breed's right?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

junkgirl
Dog Kichi

Jul 18, 2003, 6:53 PM

Post #1 of 46 (2528 views)
Shortcut
Hello! I am new.....what breed's right? Can't Post

Hi All! I am currently looking to get 2 new puppies (so there is companion for each other). I can't decide between golden retriever, miniature schnauzer and west highland terrier (westie). My criteria/preferences for the new dogs are they should be relatively quiet (minimal barking as they could offend neighbours), obedient, easy to train, calm/not too "naughty"/not too demanding (I just want to come home from a long day's work and spend the few hours before bedtime peacefully and calmly. I prefer to have some time instead of attending to the dogs 24hrs a days. I don't mind the dogs calmly staying with me) and able to be by themselves (independent) as i work long hours (usually out at 7a.m. and back around 7.30p.m). I live in a house so they have a garden to run around. I really like the look of M.Schnauzer and Westie but dunno if they are suitable for me. I heard terriers can be very noisy.

I also plan to let them sleep outdoors and keep them outside when i am out of the house as it will be better for them especially to go to the toilet when i am not around (and so i wouldn't come back to a mess after work each day and get tired cleaning up). Will they do well outside as i heard dogs should be kept inside with people? I read that retrievers are very people dogs - they need to be near people. I will be at work for 5 days a week and only come home at night. Will this be alright if i decide to get golden retrievers? Maybe i can train them to be more independent since young.

Do such dogs exist?? Please advice!!
JunkGirl
- Dogs R For Life -

xyne
Doggyman

Jul 18, 2003, 7:16 PM

Post #2 of 46 (2518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [junkgirl] Hello! I am new.....what breed's right? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi junk girl.. welcome to the forum...
hope you will find info u need here...
i have 3 dogs.., a goldie, a miniature schnauzer n a boxer... u need to be prepared to sacrifice your time, patience to care for them.. esp puppy days.. sure make havoc wan...CrazyWink
yes, goldies r really smart n friendly. They need to run around, dont really bark. My MS can bark quite abit though..he's most alert of the 3, prefers to b in doors n really manja wan.. likes kids alot. they need alot of grooming so look nice nice... but i never have enough time.. hehee..so now popeye looks like a terrier more than a MS.. hahaa
i dunno about your neighbourhood, but some have experienced dognapping esp when they r puppies, so better to keep inside first until they r bigger...

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 18, 2003, 7:17 PM

Post #3 of 46 (2518 views)
Shortcut

Hi Junkgirl,

A warm welcome to the forum ! Its good to hear that you are looking for a puppy and is doing some research work before actually getting one which is not suitable for yourself.

Well, here is my 2 cent worth of opinion ... MS requires grooming. Do you have time for it ? If you are going to let the groomers do it, are you able to fork out the money to pay for the grooming services ? (note that some does not comes cheap)

Golden, they are people oriented dog. You got that right and they need to be with their human most of the time. They are also big in size therefore, they eat a lot (If I'm not mistaken abt 15 kg bag of kibbles per month) and they too requires some grooming and they shed alot.

Since you are practically working 12 hrs for 5 days week, how are you going to train them ? especially when you wants 2 dog. Training one dog is like training a little baby to pee & poo. Needs lots of time and patience in doing this.

Oh ya, won't you be worried that your dog/puppies will be stolen during the time you are working ? What about food ? a young puppy after weaning will need feeding at least 2 - 3 times.

There is lots more of taking care of a dog and I'm sure some of the expert here would be able to give you some better or more accurate advise on MS, Goldie or Westies....

Good Luck !

cheers,
minglmy

doodle
ALPHA

Jul 18, 2003, 8:09 PM

Post #4 of 46 (2513 views)
Shortcut

hello,
welcome to the forum!
Arthur is the MS sifu here. Maybe you would like to ask him in details about MS?
I personally like schnauzer alot. They are very loyal and easy to train.
Where else for Golden, they are quite big and requires walks and exercise.
You can ask some dogs owners before getting a puppy first. We are having a gathering on the 3rd Aug. Maybe you would like to join us?

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 18, 2003, 8:51 PM

Post #5 of 46 (2509 views)
Shortcut

Hello there Junkgirl,

Welcome to the forum. So you're looking for pups. Your first time? Well ... pups are pups ... they are not easy by just a snap of your finger. You need to have a lot of patience to train them .. and a lot of time to be with them.

Regards,
Swee Eng

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 18, 2003, 9:35 PM

Post #6 of 46 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Hi junkgirl~~

Welcome here.Smile

For what you expect from dogs, i think Golden Retriever suit you the most. But, I would have to agree with sweeeng that "Pups are Pups", no matter what breed they are, you can't avoid the time and effort to raise them until 1-2 yr old. Maybe before you decided which breed to own, why not think about should you go with 2 pups? or 2 adult GRs?

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

ashley
ALPHA

Jul 19, 2003, 12:00 AM

Post #7 of 46 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Hi !! here got a lot GR sifu may be they can give u good opinion b4 u chooice a puppy....
Myself own 3 dogs....
2 chihuahua and 1 shitzu !!
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jul 19, 2003, 12:42 AM

Post #8 of 46 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Smile hi ,

welcome to the forum,
nice meeting you here... i have a minpin called mitcehr and he's curently 3yrs old and a labbie and he's currently 3 weeks old..
if you're looking for a dog, it's advisable that you have a research on a dog that you wanted to adopt and later choose a dog that suits you and your lifestyle.. have fun in searching a doggy you want...
have fun in this forum ya !!Laugh
~~~ It'S a DoGgY DoG WorLD~~

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

YUMIKO masaki @ charming PARIS girl
love's dogs... true dog lover !!!
My PETS, My FRIEND, My FAMILY

MY DEAREST MITCHER BOY MUMMY WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 13TH MAY 2007

cdmoo
ALPHA

Jul 19, 2003, 2:12 AM

Post #9 of 46 (2494 views)
Shortcut

hi JunkGirl,
Welcome to the forum!

Don't need to think.. get the GR!
Smile
regards,

CD Moo

myra
Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2003, 5:06 AM

Post #10 of 46 (2491 views)
Shortcut

hello junkgirl....

welcome....good luck in looking 4 a fuss free dog...

bubbles,myra,tigger & blossom

drew
ALPHA

Jul 19, 2003, 6:57 AM

Post #11 of 46 (2488 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

welcome to the forum and do have fun here ! Smile

i see that a lot of the members are trying to increase members in their Just Retrievers gang ~! well, i think u should get a silky terrier !! hahahhaaa ... WinkTongue

snowflake
Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2003, 8:00 AM

Post #12 of 46 (2487 views)
Shortcut

Hi junkgirl,

Welcome to this forum, hope u can enjoy urself here. I advice u to get GR bcos GR is really gd for companion but GR doesnt gd enough to guard ur house, MS might b gd also but need lot of care to deal with their flur. How about GSD, they r frendly n gd to guard ur house also. Anyway, it's up to ur personal decision n favour to get the doggie, hope u can get ur furkid soon.

0""0
( 'o')")
~S.n.o.w.F.l.a.k.E~

jnmx

Jul 19, 2003, 2:34 PM

Post #13 of 46 (2483 views)
Shortcut

hey there, welcome to the forum...wow u wanna have two doggies...slow down...lets take one at a time yah.

cheers....Smile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 19, 2003, 9:39 PM

Post #14 of 46 (2479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Hello! I am new.....what breed's right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ying,

I'm just curious here... no offence ya !
Why do you suggest that junkgirl get a GR ?
1. She plans to put the dog outside. I thought you told me before that a GR is best suitable as an indoor dog as they are not a guard dog.
2. She is looking for a guard dog.
3. I thought that a GR requires people to be with them most of the time. Junkgirl is working from 7 am - 7 pm 12 hrs a day at the very least. Won't that makes the GR miserable and might have a change in temprement ?

hmm.... I'm just curious on this coz, I thought to have a GR you needs to spend lots of time to be with them as they are people oriented kind of dog.

Since you are one of the GR sifu in here, you can enlightened me and help me to understand more on GR's temprement. (started to fall in love with GR nowdays so gotto starts learning more abt them so that next time I can also join u guys in the retriever gang ) hehehehe

cheers,
minglmy

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 19, 2003, 10:02 PM

Post #15 of 46 (2477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Hello! I am new.....what breed's right? [In reply to] Can't Post

MingYang,

Since there's only 3 options provided, I'm jsut being Bias to pick GR.Smile GR the best!

1. My suggestion to junkgirl is to get "adult dog" since she won't be able to raise and train the pups. If you have a nice compound or a great kennel, Keeping dogs outside a house is not a problem but she didn't details her living environment. Maybe she has a BIG backyard to have the GR roam around. This also my first concern to keep Bean Dao-dao that I think my backyard is enough for her to run as I'm not there to bring her out for walk.

2. GR not a good guarddog, But to me, they are very alert. Alert enough to tell you there's somebody approaching. Again, I'm totally bias. If there's a GSD or Rottie in the option, I'll say NO GR.

3. YES. GR is definitely human-oriented dog. Again, a matured GR would best fit junkgirl's requirements. and I'm totally bias that GR will be well-behaved if with proper training, like , sit on the couch, enjoy animal planet and wait for me to go home~

Smile with a very strong feeling that junkgirl knows what she wants and what she able to provide for a dog and she is very sure about her own "ability" and daily schedule ..... with ONLY 3 options there, I am totally BIAS on getting 2 GRs will bring her the joy and companionship. BUT, all depends on her efforts interms of time, training and passion.Smile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 19, 2003, 10:18 PM

Post #16 of 46 (2474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Hello! I am new.....what breed's right? [In reply to] Can't Post

aiyah...u like that also can one ar....
me tot u got some secrets that you are not telling me abt caring of a GR. BIAS lar u ! trying to get as much as retriever gang as u can huh i see....

cheers,
minglmy

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 19, 2003, 11:16 PM

Post #17 of 46 (2465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Hello! I am new.....what breed's right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can~ Why not? I'm a loyal fan of GR. I'm being completely bias. There's only 3 options provided, sure I would go with GR. No need to think.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 20, 2003, 6:20 AM

Post #18 of 46 (2456 views)
Shortcut

welcome to the forum!Smile

glad to know you're doing your homework before getting a dog.Smile

i agree with mack..an adult dog is better since you will be out working most of time.

Hmm...i think all dogs,without the proper care will bark alot and be destructive. All of the breeds you suggested are active dogs. GR's were originally bred to retrieve an item,regardless of how far it it. MS's and Westies were originally bred as vermin hunters. So without the proper amount of exercise,they will be hyper.

I think the calmest among all 3 is the GR. But then.like what most of the members said,it is a ppl-oriented breed.

SmileJust my thoughts..
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

junkgirl
Dog Kichi

Jul 20, 2003, 6:46 AM

Post #19 of 46 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Appreciate the advice guys! I think the GR is a more suitable breed for me as the MSchnauzer can be kinda noisy. I would like some peace when i get home from a long day's work and not having to go yell at my barking dog every few minutes. I don't mean not having to bother about my dog but i prefer a less fuss dog which i can just spend my time with, quietly. My only concern is that i work long hours 5 days a week, wonder if the dogs will adapt..hmmm..?Unsure And i always read that we should spend a lot time with our dogs. Does this mean no life? Being a working person, u know sometimes u have things u would want to do on the w/kends.....By the way, how much work is grooming the GR. Judging by their coat, should be a lot of work compared to like the MS? HOw about exercise? I have a yard for them to run around..

It's hard decision...i would like to have dogs very much but i've been reading a lot about dog ownership and it's difficulties. I don't want to regret getting them...i would like to have them till they grow old and leave this world if i do get them and not get rid of them if i find that i made a mistake....

Anyway, i think all dogs have their own individuality rite? GR maybe ppl oriented in general but if they get used to me being away at work for long hours, they will adapt to it i guess...
JunkGirl
- Dogs R For Life -

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 21, 2003, 5:54 PM

Post #20 of 46 (2431 views)
Shortcut

I think the minimum time you should spend with your dog per day .. is one hour. You also need to take the dog for walks ... as the dog will be sleeping whenever you're not around and it's not really good for the dog... becomes more lazy and fat.

And from my experience ... not sure if it happens to all but ... dogs will destroy what's necessary (be it their ownself or your stuff) if they feel that they are not getting the attention that they want...

Regards,
Swee Eng

junkgirl
Dog Kichi

Jul 21, 2003, 10:01 PM

Post #21 of 46 (2423 views)
Shortcut

I'd just like to say KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK PEOPLE! Wow..this forum is just amazing! It can match (if not better) those foreign ones. And the ppl are all very helpful, friendly and sharing - just like one big family. This shows that Msia isn't that bad after all if ppl would just stop complaining about the things we don't have or can't do and start to appreciate the things we do have and can do.

I think MS might not be as suitable for me as they require a lot of grooming work and i'd prefer to spend time doing other things with my dogs than grooming. And they tend to be quite a barker. Or maybe not?

i think i'll go with the GR as they r a calmer, relaxed breed. What's the grooming and exercise like for them? Do they really shed a lot of hair but i guess it doesn't really matter to me. I like the cream or light gold color in GR. How do i tell the color in a puppy? Also, if i get them from a breeder with parents' papers - how important is the hip, elbow, eye and heart cert and does it matter at all? ....i'm just very excited about getting them....but doing all my "homework" 1st.

THANKSWink
JunkGirl
- Dogs R For Life -

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 22, 2003, 12:02 AM

Post #22 of 46 (2415 views)
Shortcut

Hi junkgirl,

Like have posted earlier, shouldn't you put your consideration into thinking of getting an adult GR instead of a puppy where you needs lots of time to train ?

cheers,
minglmy

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 22, 2003, 4:51 PM

Post #23 of 46 (2395 views)
Shortcut

hi junkgirl,

glad u're making some enquiries b4 getting a dog Smile

Actually I think all dogs bark and get playful esp when u've been away for such long hours. So I think it's natural for ur dog to get excited when u get home. He/she will bark! Wink So getting a breed that's not so noisy doesn't mean the dog won't make noise at all. And all dogs need attention, exp when it's alone almost the whole day. Are you prepared to spend at least an hour or two with ur dog daily? Includes play time, walk time, makan time, grooming time, etc. Getting a dog means u must be prepared to make some sacrifices. Although a GR is generally very good natured, but we're talking about a well trained GR here. I strongly believe that any dog that has not had proper and enough training can sometimes have bad behaviour. eg growling, barking, digging, etc. Well, even trained dogs do that sometimes...hehehe Tongue

Well, let me give you a scenario. You're dead tired and when u get home after a long day all u wanna do is hit the sack. But when u get home, u find dog poo and pee all over in ur garden. The dog food you left in his bowl (i presume u'll leave food in his bowl cos u're away the whole morning and afternoon) is scattered everywhere because the rascal decided to play with his food. Your slippers are chewed up. And when u get into the house, he demands attention and wants to play. Also, u'll have to brush him almost daily because he sheds. AND u have to feed him everyday when u get home and replace his water.

Sorry ya...I'm not trying to scare you. But unless u have someone in the house the whole day to accompany your dog and feed ur dog and play with him, that's what you'll have to face with almost everyday. Hope u're prepared to do all this...otherwise like u said, it'll be very pitiful for the dog if you have to give it up when u can't cope later. Esp if u're thinking of a big dog like a GR....they need lots of exercise!

Hopefully u have everything worked out!! WIll be nice to see a new GR at the gathering!! Good luck ya! SmileCool

junkgirl
Dog Kichi

Jul 22, 2003, 10:38 PM

Post #24 of 46 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Just wondering if u guys keep ur dogs outside or inside? Also, what sort of exercise do u give ur dogs? I am a very not-active/ (lazy in other words) person ( i hardly go for walks not to mention jog. That's y i m looking for dogs that r calmer and more relaxed...no rough or strenuous exercises ) but for the sake of my potential GRs, i'll take them for walks in the morning before i go to work cos it might already be dark when i get home from work. Will this be sufficient for the GRs?

U guys seem to have a lot of time to spend and play with ur pets...how lucky! R u all studying or have the advantage of not having to work? As for meFrown, i have to 'cari makan' to be able to feed my dogs. If not we'll all starve together.
JunkGirl
- Dogs R For Life -

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 22, 2003, 11:23 PM

Post #25 of 46 (2387 views)
Shortcut

For your information most of us here is working adults and not college students.

I have 2 minpins myself and even when i got back home late (like 9 -9 work) I have my mum at home to care and play with them. I take care of them before I go to work and when I got back take them for a playtime in my garden, brush them, train them in some easy tricks, give them some snacks, talk to them and make sure that they poo and pee before going into the house.

They are in my house abt 16 hrs of the day and as for the other 8 hrs, they are in the garden playing or eating their brekky and dinner or running abt or doing the pee & poo business.

I spend abt 2 hrs with daily at the very least. This includes all the above I have mentioned. Don't forget once in a while i still have to do some cleaning up on their mess, their clothes, their blanket, food & drinking bowl, sleeping basket, sleeping area and all that.

cheers,
minglmy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my