Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Skin problem

ck_yap
Novice

Nov 27, 2001, 8:10 PM

Post #1 of 12 (3183 views)
Shortcut
Skin problem Can't Post

Hello everyone, need your help here. My dog has red spots growing all over her body. At first there's only few spot but now it grew all over her body. Can anyone tell me what caused this ?And what's my dog infected with ? She's only 4 months old. I've brought her to the vet once the vet gave her injection and medicine, now the medicine's over but the spot keep growing. Any suggestions anyone ? Really appreciate any help and suggestions. Thanx :)

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 27, 2001, 9:01 PM

Post #2 of 12 (3174 views)
Shortcut
Re: Skin problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to panic ck yap. I need the following infos before I have some sort of basis to work on. Your puppy is 4 months old. That I have noted. What breed? and what brand of puppy food U are feeding her on. Pls provide these particulars and any others you could think of and I shall try to establish what is wrong.
Regards.
Derrickok.

ck_yap
Novice

Nov 28, 2001, 2:09 PM

Post #3 of 12 (3162 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mr Derrick, first of all thanx for helping me and fellow forumers here. Sorry for not providing enough information. My dog breed is English Bulldog(bred locally) i'm currently feeding her Science Diet Lamb & Rice formula. The spots are slowly growing to other places on her body. She's behaving normally though. I"m bringing her to the vet tomorrow morning, wondering whether the spot will ever go away. Each visit to the vet will cost a hole in my pocket. Thanx again.

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 28, 2001, 4:46 PM

Post #4 of 12 (3157 views)
Shortcut

Hello ck_yap,
From the infos you have provided, it appears that your locally bred English Bulldog is suffering from some kind of allergic reaction. To pin point what causes this reaction is a very tedious and lengthy process. In the end the result could well be zero. However, since you are bringing her to the vet to-morrow, perhaps you could confirm with the vet if he agreed that it is allergy.
If you are feeding your puppy with science diet L&R fomula there is nothing really better to change to except you could try ProPlan L&R.
What is the colour of your EBDog. white? fawn?
There is one drug which is available from the Pharmacy, no need prescription called 'antihistamine', it is cheap and effective to treat allergy but do not CURE allergy. Half tablet twice a day, should help. Before you but and use please ask the vet first.
This is just about all I could help you when I have not actually seen the condition of your dog. Please let me know what the vet says after you have visited him.
Regards.
Derrickok.

ck_yap
Novice

Nov 28, 2001, 8:27 PM

Post #5 of 12 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Hello again Derric :) My English Bulldog is white in colour. Will confirm with my vet tomorrow and let u know. Called the owner today and he said strange because all his other dogs do not have this kind of problem. Anyway thanx again. :)

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 28, 2001, 8:46 PM

Post #6 of 12 (3151 views)
Shortcut

Hi ck_yap,
I am a breeder of Dalmatians. As you know the dalmatians are basically a white dog and also short hair. I am having plenty of problems with them on skin problem. That is why I am very familiar with skin problems. Who is the owner? Perhaps the owner could come to your place and offer his opinion or you could bring the dog to show him and see what he says. Anyway, if you are going to the vet to morrow, please tell me what the vet says.
Regards.
Derrickok.

leopui
K9 Maniac

Nov 29, 2001, 8:30 AM

Post #7 of 12 (3135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ck_yap] Skin problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Yap,

If you would like to try some very old method as I believe it is good and effective for the begining menge problem, apply cooking oil and run over the affected spots two to three times a day. Keep doing this for about four to five day, you should be able to see the menge got dry up.

Once the fur "hair" started to growth, apply coconut oil at least once a week over your dog and keep him/her away from the wet place. It should help.

LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

ck_yap
Novice

Nov 29, 2001, 9:49 AM

Post #8 of 12 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Just back from the vet ..... according to him my dog is currently having two problem. Infected with some kind of .... ( i dunno what it's called in english ) because i spoke to the vet in cantonese. Sorry eh. Anyway gave the dog two injection and some pills. Thanx for the advice.

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 29, 2001, 5:36 PM

Post #9 of 12 (3130 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hello ck_yap.
I am glad that you have gone to the vet and let him attend to your dog. This I think is the most logical and sensible thing to do, because as a member of this forum, we would like to help as much as possible, but you must understand that we have our limitations, and sometimes, we may not be offering the correct advice without actually seeing the animal.
However, I still would like to know what sort of skin problem your dog is suffering, because the vet told you there are 2 problems. If you are not familiar in the English language as perhaps you are Chinese educated and you also speak cantonese-so do I, I am a cantonese too- you could still find out from the vet what are the 2 problems.
This is what I would like you to do. Call the vet on the phone and ask him to tell you what are the 2 disorders and ask him to spell out the name and you copy it on a piece of paper and let me know. OK?
I hope everything will turn out fine for you.
Regards.
Derrickok

ck_yap
Novice

Nov 30, 2001, 12:16 AM

Post #10 of 12 (3119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Skin problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi again, Mr Derrickok. This forum is all about seeking opinion , giving advice and helping each other right :) I think this forum is a good start for dog lovers in malaysia. Back to my dog skin problem, i am english educated but spoke to the vet in cantonese and the book that he used to explain to me is written in mandarin so i don't know the term for english. Anyway, i'll visit the vet again when the medication is finished. So will ask from him during my next visit, hope u don't mind the wait OK :) And i've got another question, hope u dun mind answering. These skin problem in dogs, are they born with it ? Like did they got it from their parents ? Or their skin are weak ? Called the home breeder that sold me my dog, he's other puppy ( my dogs's brother) does not have this problem.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 30, 2001, 2:49 AM

Post #11 of 12 (3114 views)
Shortcut

Skin problems are common to dog. Certain breed may have high incident of certain skin problem. For example, PUG always has high incidence of demodectic mange when they are young (puppy).

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

ck_yap
Novice

Nov 30, 2001, 7:11 AM

Post #12 of 12 (3107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Skin problem [In reply to] Can't Post

HI all ..... thanx for all your concern and suggestions .... :) Will keep u guys updated on my dog.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my